Central Transport | Drivers breakroom and restroom duties

runawaytrain

Wear their scorn with pride.
Credits
In Dallas today we were given a list of who will be responsible for keeping these clean. And that will be the drivers. We no longer have a janitorial service. In March the week of the 18th thru 22nd (3) drivers will be responsible for keeping them clean....And the list goes on for each week thereafter....Every driver will have their weeks assigned in a rotating cycle at the beginning of each month..They will be responsible for cleaning toilets and keeping the breakroom clutter free. We all are kinda at a loss....Do other terminals do this? I always clean up after myself and hardly ever use the restroom at Vitran so this seems crazy that I must clean up after someone else. I thought I hired in as a driver but it appears that I will also be a part-time janitor. I don't think I'm to good to clean a toilet, I do it at home all the time. But something just doesn't seem right about this and it has not went over very well with the drivers. Thoughts anyone? Should we just accept it and move on? I think what pisses most of us off is they want to sit and micro manage by thinking of ways to save the company money when they themselves are not doing their damn job. That would save Vitran much more than a weekly janitorial service if they would get off their fat lazy azzes and address serious issues that are costing this company big money.

Last edited by a moderator:
do what we did,call the local health department and your local teamsters to send youll some flyers. leave them laying around. we got our whole bathroom redone. start calling osha to for any safety violations and ask for a surprise inspection. they will be glad to come.start making vitran play by the rules too.
In Dallas today we were given a list of who will be responsible for keeping these clean. And that will be the drivers. We no longer have a janitorial service. In March the week of the 18th thru 22nd (3) drivers will be responsible for keeping them clean....And the list goes on for each week thereafter....Every driver will have their weeks assigned in a rotating cycle at the beginning of each month..They will be responsible for cleaning toilets and keeping the breakroom clutter free. We all are kinda at a loss....Do other terminals do this? I always clean up after myself and hardly ever use the restroom at Vitran so this seems crazy that I must clean up after someone else. I thought I hired in as a driver but it appears that I will also be a part-time janitor. I don't think I'm to good to clean a toilet, I do it at home all the time. But something just doesn't seem right about this and it has not went over very well with the drivers. Thoughts anyone? Should we just accept it and move on? I think what pisses most us off is they want to sit and micro manage by thinking of ways to save the company money when they themselves are not doing their damn job. That would save Vitran much more than a weekly janitorial service if they would get off their fat lazy azzes and address serious issues that are costing this company big money.

is there a clipboard where you have to initial it also? just lock the door and everyone carry gatorade bottles. then make girls in office clean their own because there's probably no female drivers and you guys don't use the ladies room. next, you will be changing oil in your tractors and cutting the grass. got windows? lol.

is there a clipboard where you have to initial it also? just lock the door and everyone carry gatorade bottles. then make girls in office clean their own because there's probably no female drivers and you guys don't use the ladies room. next, you will be changing oil in your tractors and cutting the grass. got windows? lol.
Just like Mcdonalds or any fast food joint....Yes a list you initial....I think some are going to Pittsburg over this.

Vitran had breakroom and restroom remodeled at new location when they moved my center. Never have had a janitorial service. Whoever finishes loading outbound in the morning sweeps up the dock, empties trash and cleans restrooms. Have not yet gotten to the point of rotating cleaning schedules. I do not think that it is UNFAIR for everyone (office staff included) to share in restroom sanitizing and replenishing! I find it sad that grown men and women have such little respect for the next employee who uses restroom. They spit gum in urinals with a trash can right there, or stand to urinate in the commode with the lid down with urinal next to them. They will not even wipe up the sink after themselves or replace paper towels or toilet tissue roll when dispenser is empty. Talk about leaving a guy "hanging"! When he does his business and only then realizes the tissue dispenser is empty. If everyone would wipe up after themselves and maintain restrooms, this would not be such an issue. Right now, we have much bigger fish to fry. Management could solve the restroom cleaning schedules very easy. Just lock them up and have Porta-Johns set out at the back of the lot. Problem solved!!!

That's total BS, man! I guess you could all refuse to do it, OR, since the OSHA standards for bathrooms in the workplace REQUIRE that all facilities must not leak, must contain soap, toilet paper and sanitary hand towels- you guys could file daily complaints with OSHA if these items "are somehow not available" (wink wink) for your use. I imagine if your boss wants to be a dick, then he will get overwhelmed with a flood of daily inquiries from OSHA as to why he's not fulfilling his obligation to maintain "sanitation standards" for the bathrooms.

In Dallas today we were given a list of who will be responsible for keeping these clean. And that will be the drivers. We no longer have a janitorial service. In March the week of the 18th thru 22nd (3) drivers will be responsible for keeping them clean....And the list goes on for each week thereafter....Every driver will have their weeks assigned in a rotating cycle at the beginning of each month..They will be responsible for cleaning toilets and keeping the breakroom clutter free. We all are kinda at a loss....Do other terminals do this? I always clean up after myself and hardly ever use the restroom at Vitran so this seems crazy that I must clean up after someone else. I thought I hired in as a driver but it appears that I will also be a part-time janitor. I don't think I'm to good to clean a toilet, I do it at home all the time. But something just doesn't seem right about this and it has not went over very well with the drivers. Thoughts anyone? Should we just accept it and move on? I think what pisses most of us off is they want to sit and micro manage by thinking of ways to save the company money when they themselves are not doing their damn job. That would save Vitran much more than a weekly janitorial service if they would get off their fat lazy azzes and address serious issues that are costing this company big money.

I like your old avatar better , but would a train that looked like the old avatar be willing to scub $H!TTER$ at Vitran? It is not april fools day yet Train, is this a serious post cause I have heard nothing about this up north.

WAIT WAIT WAIT a minute!!!! If they are trying to save money by cutting back on $12 an hour dock guys by using $20 drivers, now get rid of janitor services and again pay them $20 an hour drivers,,,,,and then complain about labor costs,, they missed the boat!!!

We have all sorts of people running around who are on salary and get paid the same no matter how many hours they work (hint hint, red shirts) see, cost of labor problem solved!!!

Then, when they are done with the bathrooms, send them out onto the dock and they can clean all that chew spit (violating tobacco free rules) that populates our floor. Twice Monday i slipped like on ice trying to load my trailer with a jack, like to see TM explain someone's hurt back or knee to boss when we all know property is suppose to be tobacco free.

Our bathroom is in the basement with no windows and the exhaust fan hasn't worked in years that the smell of urine will kill you when you walk in the door. I try to stay out of there without a oxygen tank and respirator. We have "Inhalation Hazard and Explosives" placards on the door. The animals at our barn are too lazy to flush the urinals, plus the loads of $hit in the toilets that your better off going out in the front lawn like a dog. It's cleaner.

I am thinking that if there was a rotating schedule for everyone to clen the restrooms, you will find that people will begin to police the idiots who destroy the place.
Vitran had breakroom and restroom remodeled at new location when they moved my center. Never have had a janitorial service. Whoever finishes loading outbound in the morning sweeps up the dock, empties trash and cleans restrooms. Have not yet gotten to the point of rotating cleaning schedules. I do not think that it is UNFAIR for everyone (office staff included) to share in restroom sanitizing and replenishing! I find it sad that grown men and women have such little respect for the next employee who uses restroom. They spit gum in urinals with a trash can right there, or stand to urinate in the commode with the lid down with urinal next to them. They will not even wipe up the sink after themselves or replace paper towels or toilet tissue roll when dispenser is empty. Talk about leaving a guy "hanging"! When he does his business and only then realizes the tissue dispenser is empty. If everyone would wipe up after themselves and maintain restrooms, this would not be such an issue. Right now, we have much bigger fish to fry. Management could solve the restroom cleaning schedules very easy. Just lock them up and have Porta-Johns set out at the back of the lot. Problem solved!!!

If you are talking Columbus, I hear ya...they have no chance there

Our bathroom is in the basement with no windows and the exhaust fan hasn't worked in years that the smell of urine will kill you when you walk in the door. I try to stay out of there without a oxygen tank and respirator. We have "Inhalation Hazard and Explosives" placards on the door. The animals at our barn are too lazy to flush the urinals, plus the loads of $hit in the toilets that your better off going out in the front lawn like a dog. It's cleaner.

I can assure my TM and anyone else who asks that I will not take part in cleaning the bathrooms. I didnt sign on to be a janitor. if that makes me not a "team player" then so be it.

This is Lisa, I had to create a different account as Facebook won't let me sign in now (probably a Facebook issue). I don't think Charlotte does this; if they ever do, believe me Jim will NOT clean a bathroom. Not only is that beyond cheap for them to do, it can be considered exposing employees to biological hazards. Would you want your children cleaning the toilets at their schools or daycares? No? Then why would this be okay for someone who was not hired to clean the bathrooms there?