Drivers don't appreciate new equipment

rowdy

TB Regular
Credits
I don't understand the drivers we have here. The company has spent a lot of money on new equipment and they treat it like crap. I don't think there is a new tractor on the yard that doesn't have a bent bumper,scraped fender, or something torn off of it. The insides look like someone turned a dumpster upside down in them. Dust so thick you better have a surgical mask on. If they slip-seat you would expect it but these are assigned tractors. In my day of delivering they didn't buy equipment with all the bells and whistles like they do today. Enjoy them while they last drivers, because you will probably be in that same truck 10 years from now. To the few that take pride in their ride. Good Job!

I have an assigned tractor that I like to keep clean. Unfortunately my bid for the last couple of years has me starting at 5:30, everyone else starts at 5:00 or before. So many times someone takes my tractor, there's a lot of trash in it when I get it back. If I'm in someone else's tractor, I never leave my garbage behind for them, 'cause I'm a grown up. Same with the trailer, the selectors got the paper rolls that the stickers are printed on, then they just leave them in the pallet, unfortunately sometimes I drop those pallets at a customer, so now our customers have to clean up after our warehouse workers. Grow up people! Clean up after yourselves. And yeah, if I see a fresh scratch or ding, I take a picture of it before I leave the yard, but who do I report it to? Who cares anymore? Never mind, I don't have time to hunt down a supervisor fill out reports and stuff.

Well I don't know if you are talking ODFL, but they have bought a lot of trucks for Ca.. Seems like a lot of people are not taking care of there trucks,a signed or not. I myself am assigned a truck and it is clean on the inside, as well as windows washed. Kind of a ***** to drive at night with dirty windows and mirrors, and let's not forget the headlights. The person that drives it during the day is new, so we talk about how I have to live in it for 12-14 hrs a day and he has to do the same for at least 10 hrs.. Yes, I walk around and look to see if there is any damage or if the tires have rubbed the curb. I take pictures and address the problem right away. The truck is not new, but ODFL let's me use it and I treat it like I own it. AND THAT IS NO BS.

Same here rowdy, our trucks look like crap, the outside looks good still but the inside is awful, if your assigned a freightliner its likely to be gone when you get to work, seems some of these guys can't drive anything but a new truck, if theirs is gone for fuel or what have you, they just jump in someone elses, I have an old one and I like it that way!

Man I am glad it is not like that here u drive ur truck no questions, management does not take kindly to drivers taking someone else truck.

One time, I got in real trouble for this. There were three trucks in the yard, a serious pos, a new truck and an old truck. Well the old truck, I got trouble with fitting in it, because my belly rubs the steering wheel, and I got to have the seat all the way to the floor, I'm 6'2" mind you, so that's no way to drive all day. The newer truck had someone's bag in it. Well, I could drive the POS but I had to fix the seat first, have it go all the way back without moving forward, and the lever thingy was broken, and a half dozen other things were broken, I pulled it up to the shop, but the mechanics were nowhere to be found. I got the seat fixed, by myself, but there were a couple of other things I couldn't fix, and no mechanic, so I took the time to write up every freak end thing that was wrong with it, including the spring thingy that lets you know that it's not gonna go into reverse when you push the stick forward, what's it called? It was broke and you had to be real careful driving that sucker. Well, a bit of time had passed and I decided, you know, I'm taking the newer truck. I brought the bags from that truck up to the supervisor and told him what was up and he's like, "You're still here?". Dad gum it, I have been on the phone or radio with him personally every morning for six months telling him that my assigned truck was gone and needed to know which one I could take.

I got in trouble for being late to my second stop, even though I was caught up by the end of the day, hell blame the driver.

After the write ups I made on that truck, the pos was put out of service, it was never driven again, and six months after they sold that pos truck it was still being assigned to drivers on the daily route sheet.

We got 15-20 new trucks this year. There all trashed now! In fact today at the yard. I saw 2 brand new CNG Kenworth road trucks. I won't drive them because that's not what I do and I don't want to drive them anyhow, but my point is, these new trucks are coming in there all decked out like our new pedal trucks okay there not Kenworths or Peterbuilts, but they are nice for what they are, have good heat good AC power mirrors nice 6 speed automatic transmissions 300 horsepower Cummins diesels fog lamps air horn radio with CD player cord on the back so you can power a lift gate, nice trucks. If I had a 28' foot trailer and hauled loads on the weekend for extra money that's the kind of tractor I would buy.

Anyhow our new trucks already littered in tobacco spit juice all over. The dust isn't 3" thick just yet, but eventually it will get there. I think the dust is part and partial to cigarette smoke.

For a while when I was in Cleveland Heights I had a 2015 Cascadia that I used to pull a convertible with. That Cascadia was a nice truck brand new from Penske 12 speed automatic transmission led head lights everything. Already someone before me who drove that truck got in it started eating pistachios and throwing the pistachio shells all on the floor of the truck.

I'm of the mentality and I know it doesn't really work this way, but I'm like "This trucks we got to keep it clean, because if we trash it they won't buy us new trucks again. Or if they do they will get the bottom of the barrel junk."

These trucks cost a lot of money and I do think it is kind of nice that these companies buy trucks that are equipped fairly well. It seems to me at least where I work the new batches of trucks I have seen have been far superior to the old stuff we used to have.

The new roadtrucks my company bought those Kenworths are decked out. You know where I stand if I was a boss in charge of that I would be sitting there going "Well why should we buy these nice trucks when these guys are just going to treat them as rolling garbage cans."

I always tried to keep my unit clean, but they took it away and now I kind of have it back, but it's a lot dirtier and there's littler stuffed under the drivers seat and oh well...