XPO | Drivers rights : Refusal to drive in severe weather.

It seems pretty simple to me. Who's driving record is destroyed when a driver lays their unit on it's side or hits something?
It damn sure isn't the guy sitting behind the desk.
Make your own decisions, since it's you that pays the consequences.

I do believe there was a case just like that.A Roadway driver called in to his dispatch office notifying the company he couldn't come in because of the bad weather.Such in such dispatcher told the driver he should come in because another driver has made it to work.Subsequently that caller was fired but it was later reversed because of that STAA.
I remember the same situation when I worked at Conway at LDA and they had a lady Tulsa driver refuse to drive any further in the in climate weather.She supposedly received a letter.Of which i didn't agree with.Just because another driver made it to LDA doesn't mean the other people feel safe to drive in it.

Just like when I've been told "other drivers got a truck in here"..: my response "I'm not other drivers"...

Because nothing encourages management to listen to your case like giving the chain of command the middle finger. Safety manager? Director of safety? Why would you just go running to the DOT over an LOI? And what agency did he call? The DOT doesn't handle motor carrier compliance.

Maybe I'm just a devout skeptic, but I have a hard time believing some government employee at the DOT would tell someone that.

Again, that seems unlikely. The coercion rule deals with companies forcing drivers to violate the FMCSRs, HOS or HMRs. There's no rule that says you cannot drive in bad weather, so I don't think the coercion rule applies in this case because no FMCSR would be broken if he took the run.

Sounds like one of those linehaul stories...

Stupid is, as stupid does! Turn up the volume!

These managers want you dispatched and off their computer screen. You could go in the ditch 1 mile down the road and they could care less. They're not on the hook for anything you are. These Aholes aren't going to stick their neck out 1 inch for you, don't do it for them. Your Cdl is worth a lot more than a job at Conway/XPO is.
you dam right!!!another thing I think there are tom many scum bag scm on this site!!!

That's a tough one to watch. I cringe every time I hear another truck hit!
That accident is THE reason I get off the gas and back off the crowds when the roads get crappy and the snow is blowing. Too many hammerdown no matter what types get away with those bad habits until that one time when it all blows in their face and someone gets killed.

A little bit of patience goes a long way to avoid regret.
When I start to get in a hurry when I shouldn't be in a hurry I think of my wife and children and I slow down. I am no good to them dead or even worse, alive but crippled so I cannot provide for them anymore.

I came across an accident this morning while leaving the Los Angeles BNSF railyard.
Blinded by another tractor trailer headlights parked in the center lane, I watched a few cars, vear to the right by the curb.
I hit my 4-ways and slowed to 2-3 mph. I could barely see a small dark Toyota in my lane.
As I passed by slowly, I expected to see, literally, bodies and blood. Probably rear-ended the semi.
Guess what? Both airbags deployed. Front end completely demolished! Not a single person in the car!
Drunk? And limped off? Too weird.
200 feet down the road, on a side street, I saw the other vehicle.
The back end smashed with 4-6 people standing around.

Be careful and drive safely.

Stupid is, as stupid does! Turn up the volume!

And I wonder why I hate my job...especially in the winter time. And this is why I refuse to run L/H. I just showed my son this video and he said ,"Dad you better hurry up and retire and get the heck out of doing this stuff for a living before you stop living.

How many got themselves killed in this pile up anyway?

I don't know about you guys, but that video gave me goose bumps.

It made me sick watching and listening to the inevitable crashes and wondered why nobody ran down the interstate and flagged oncoming traffic to stop. Couldn't the guy who was making the gory horror youtube video thought about people's lives instead of capturing the trophy moment ???

It made me sick watching and listening to the inevitable crashes and wondered why nobody ran down the interstate and flagged oncoming traffic to stop. Couldn't the guy who was making the gory horror youtube video thought about people's lives instead of capturing the trophy moment ???
Worst thing you can do. Stay in your vehicle. We lost a driver because he got out of his truck after an accident.

Worst thing you can do. Stay in your vehicle. We lost a driver because he got out of his truck after an accident.
The best thing would have been for someone on the opposite side of the Express way, stop and start warning the oncoming traffic about a half a mile before the wreck. Maybe get over near the median divider and start warning them? Of course, who would ever expect it to get as bad as it did. What a mess.
That wreck was chilling.

Then again... If people would use a :censored: CB in this day and age...
That would be nice, wouldn't it? But my final memories of the CB are not good memories. I remember all kinds of ******* on there chit chatting about their families, playing music and just throwing garbage out there for the sole purpose of being disruptive for some odd reason (I suspect some really odd childhoods).

Thx for the article research Hanalad. Thought for sure that there'd be some fatalities there for sure in this one. How dumb could these guys have been that just didn't slow down and drove right into that mess like sheep going to the slaughter...one after another, after another, ad infinitum. I mean it was not like the sun was shining, their view was unobstructed, the roads dry, and everything was just another day at the office? Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!!! :scratchhead: