ODFL | Dropping CDL age ?

To everyone who is against it: Why not? It is currently legal to hold a Class A CDL at 18, they just can't cross state lines, so safety is not an issue. And how about the good old "I can join the military and go kill or get killed, but I can't buy a beer!!" argument....

To everyone who is against it: Why not? It is currently legal to hold a Class A CDL at 18, they just can't cross state lines, so safety is not an issue. And how about the good old "I can join the military and go kill or get killed, but I can't buy a beer!!" argument....
Here’s the problem I have with it. My safety. We have a lot of children, super trucker’s, school graduates and other driver’s that unfortunately shouldn’t be behind the wheel. I have tried to share with some of these people on how to correctly manage the driving of a truck. I’ve even had a new hire ask me about how to placard hazmat on a trailer. Gave him the answer and then he argued with me. He knows more than me. Really, being a veteran don’t compare serving and driving a semi truck. That’s a puss excuse. I could go on, but I’m outta pampers.

Here’s the problem I have with it. My safety. We have a lot of children, super trucker’s, school graduates and other driver’s that unfortunately shouldn’t be behind the wheel. I have tried to share with some of these people on how to correctly manage the driving of a truck. I’ve even had a new hire ask me about how to placard hazmat on a trailer. Gave him the answer and then he argued with me. He knows more than me. Really, being a veteran don’t compare serving and driving a semi truck. That’s a puss excuse. I could go on, but I’m outta pampers.

What I am saying is they can already get a Class A at 18, just can't drive across state lines. Did you even read my post? And since you've mentioned hazmat, I know plenty of older experienced drivers at this company who have never opened the little read and white envelope the dispatchers give them, always went with what HM Enforcer said and have no idea what IBC stands for. So yeah, you should save your pampers...

JO9ipBM.jpg

More young drivers sounds good to me...

What I am saying is they can already get a Class A at 18, just can't drive across state lines. Did you even read my post? And since you've mentioned hazmat, I know plenty of older experienced drivers at this company who have never opened the little read and white envelope the dispatchers give them, always went with what HM Enforcer said and have no idea what IBC stands for. So yeah, you should save your pampers...
Yes I read your post twice. I don’t know what part of the country you live in, whether you’re City or Line. But I invite you to come with me on my turn. Then and only then you’ll be able to understand my point of view. There’s a difference between experienced and a young buck with his music cranked up, texting his girlfriend, or thinking he’s some kind of super trucker just cuz he has a diploma. Like I say, I disagree with it and your excuse doesn’t mean anything to me. If you choose to accept my challenge, bring a extra pair of boxers with you. You’ll be in need of changing your pants the first 6% I go down.

Yes I read your post twice. I don’t know what part of the country you live in, whether you’re City or Line. But I invite you to come with me on my turn. Then and only then you’ll be able to understand my point of view. There’s a difference between experienced and a young buck with his music cranked up, texting his girlfriend, or thinking he’s some kind of super trucker just cuz he has a diploma. Like I say, I disagree with it and your excuse doesn’t mean anything to me. If you choose to accept my challenge, bring a extra pair of boxers with you. You’ll be in need of changing your pants the first 6% I go down.

Bad enough that I can't have a set of triples as my profile picture because the states we drive through don't allow them. A Wamsutter, WY turn out of Denver. For years. But yeah, just assume that I'll need extra boxers for your run...
Why don't you just say you're still mad about that "Molly Maid" comment.

Last edited:
Bad enough that I can't have a set of triples as my profile picture because the states we drive through don't allow them. A Wamsutter, WY turn out of Denver. For years. But yeah, just assume that I'll need extra boxers for your run...
Why don't you just say you're still mad about that "Molly Maid" comment.
I have total respect for what you drive in. Used to have a friend of mine from my present Terminal transfer to Denver. He ran Wyoming amongst other places. I’m just passionate about what you and I face each day. I’m sure that I’d bring a extra pair if I rode with you in the dead of winter. No disrespect towards you intended. I think that putting a inexperienced driver out on a run can be a little risky. Maybe if they had more experience, no problem. Be safe out there.

I know Dlinniy personally, he doesn't have to apologize to you or anyone else for what he runs. Your comments are out of line. You're not the only driver out here that faces extreme challenges. If you want to disagree with his reasoning that's one thing, but calling him out on his driving skills when you don't even know him is irresponsible.

I know Dlinniy personally, he doesn't have to apologize to you or anyone else for what he runs. Your comments are out of line. You're not the only driver out here that faces extreme challenges. If you want to disagree with his reasoning that's one thing, but calling him out on his driving skills when you don't even know him is irresponsible.
I reckon you didn’t read my post above your post. I have total respect for him. I never called out his driving abilities. It’s my thing about letting inexperienced, young driver’s out here amongst the foreigners, the TL gypos. I was just seeing if he was line or City. I know what he goes through with the weather and all, and I commended him on that. I guess being passionate here is against the rules though.

Driving a semi on the interstate has and is freedom, with that freedom comes responsibility. When joining one of the arms of the military, you lose your freedom. You do what you are ordered to do. The arm of the military protects and crushes you when you step out of line. Trucking companies can't do that, so a 18 yr old who steps out of line in trucking will be destroyed by a lawyer who knows how to break a 18 yr old.

I reckon you didn’t read my post above your post. I have total respect for him. I never called out his driving abilities. It’s my thing about letting inexperienced, young driver’s out here amongst the foreigners, the TL gypos. I was just seeing if he was line or City. I know what he goes through with the weather and all, and I commended him on that. I guess being passionate here is against the rules though.
Actually I respect the fact your passionate about your profession. But you felt the need to say "no disrespect intended" only because you totally disrespected him.
You don't know how old he his, you don't know when he started driving or what age he acquired his cdl. You just assume he's going to crap his pants because he's never been down your super scary 6% grade. Your rant, while passionate, exudes the same Super Trucker mentality your assuming 18 year olds have. I didn't call you out because of your passion , I responded because Dlinniy is a friend and you made it personal. I won't beat a dead horse on this I'll let the two of you duke it out so to speak. Be safe out there there are some crazy 50 year olds!! Lol.