ODFL | Dropping CDL age ?

I tink it's a great idea. After all, OTR driving with a Mega carrier will be a good way for the kiddies to supplement their weekly allowances.

Here’s the problem I have with it. My safety. We have a lot of children, super trucker’s, school graduates and other driver’s that unfortunately shouldn’t be behind the wheel. I have tried to share with some of these people on how to correctly manage the driving of a truck. I’ve even had a new hire ask me about how to placard hazmat on a trailer. Gave him the answer and then he argued with me. He knows more than me. Really, being a veteran don’t compare serving and driving a semi truck. That’s a puss excuse. I could go on, but I’m outta pampers.

Why not compare the two?

An 18 y/o can go fight and possibly die in Iraq, why not drive and possibly die over here? Is it somehow more fitting for an 18 y/o adult to risk his life overseas instead of here at home?

I'm 25, and it irks me to see this attitude everywhere that we need to raise the ages on EVERYTHING to 21. Marriage, consent, contracts, driving, serving, drinking, smoking, buying, selling...

And you older folks all wonder why us millenials act so spoiled and immature?

well... maybe if it weren't for the age restricted, bureaucratic, red-tape, "id and papers please" culture then this wouldn't be the case!

You're legally considered an ADULT at age 18, so that's what the age should be! if you don't like it, then raise the age of majority across the board. None of this waffling, tipsy-topsy: "well you're an adult in these cases with the exception of... and you can't do this, or that, and you need a permit for..."

either an 18 year old is an adult capable of fighting, driving, buying, selling, marrying, and dying; or they aren't.

Most major accidents are not caused by rookies, they will scrape a trailer, punch a hole into the truck next to them backing in at a truck stop. The major accidents, the ones that are catastrophic usually are caused by guys with experience. The experience sometimes breeds complacency. That being said, I don’t agree with putting 18 year olds in big rigs and letting them loose across country. Hell, at that point most have only been driving anything for 2 years. The biggest problem the trucking industry faces is training. These trucker puppy mills that run trainees through like cattle in a chute, then give little to no on the job training, then let the guy loose on the highway with a 40 ton missile, that’s the problem. The industry needs more regulation in this regard. More simulator training, more required hands on training in a controlled environment, and a mandate that a trainer must have at least 5 years of experience before being allowed to train. I hate government interference but in this case, if the trucking industry was regulated more like the airline industry, I think that safety and pay would go up.