Yellow | Dual Use Tractors

fake psychic

TB Lurker
Credits
Just saw a memo from Akron, OH this past weekend to the Houston (521) terminal that Houston has to start using dual-use tractors to run the valley and district starting now.
Does anyone know if this is going to be nationwide or just Houston? Sounds like we are doing what non-union carriers are doing.

At 671

I am not sure what dual-use tractors mean in Huston. But in Winston-Salem (671) dual-use tractors is Retired Road Tractors that have been modified for placement into the city operation. Power steering added and they already have A/C which is required now. And they are already used for the road operation at night when they are out of tractors. That has been going on at (671) for at least 6-10 years now.

Toxic said:
I am not sure what dual-use tractors mean in Huston. But in Winston-Salem (671) dual-use tractors is Retired Road Tractors that have been modified for placement into the city operation. Power steering added and they already have A/C which is required now. And they are already used for the road operation at night when they are out of tractors. That has been going on at (671) for at least 6-10 years now.
Toxic, my impression of a Dual Use Tractor would be a twin screw with sliding 5th to pull a set one way and a long box back, run into this running district. No more jiffing and unjiffing Mustache Retired Roadway

I dunno, I think toxic might be right there. We've been using our city pintos alot in the district.

Started this in Buffy when I was still there. Fri nite and any other nite when they were short "real" linehaul tractors, you would get stuck with a converted city (ex linehaul) tractor to run the district cuz all the "big" trucks were on the long runs in bed someplace.:ranting2:

Just send all the worn out junk to Atl. ,,,we got no bed runs.
Dual use is old road tracs, we've got a lot of them in Atl.
This dosen't mean they get driven in city / shuttle work, not as long as there are road tracs. to be grabbed up.
This past week they took 3 of the 804 series (2000 model) Volvo tracs off the road, removed side air farings, painted them solid blue, and put them in the city fleet.
Also of note : dock switchers were using the blue Volvos (3 of them) to switch. This way they didn't have to pull the pins, just hit the button.
I don't get it , they still had to get out to take the airline off and dolly down / up.

:Duel: :Bondage: If the switchers at 671 used "blue tractors" to switch with there would be a possie of road drivers going after them right in front of one if the hundred cameras....:Bondage::Duel:

TheBigR said:
Started this in Buffy when I was still there. Fri nite and any other nite when they were short "real" linehaul tractors, you would get stuck with a converted city (ex linehaul) tractor to run the district cuz all the "big" trucks were on the long runs in bed someplace.:ranting2:
Did that get you goat BigR?? When they done that?

yah, cuz I was on a 386 mile short turn my last bid, wanted a new blue to finish up in style...........

Toxic said:
:Duel: :Bondage: If the switchers at 671 used "blue tractors" to switch with there would be a possie of road drivers going after them right in front of one if the hundred cameras....:Bondage::Duel:
Or the shuttle drivers!! I think that if a switcher has to "crank" instead of using a switch buggy, they are supposed to use a city unit. Now that being said, most use blue trucks if availible, limited cranking of landing gear and no pin pulling. That's the way I have seen it done. DS.

mardots58 said:
Just saw a memo from Akron, OH this past weekend to the Houston (521) terminal that Houston has to start using dual-use tractors to run the valley and district starting now.
Does anyone know if this is going to be nationwide or just Houston? Sounds like we are doing what non-union carriers are doing.
They are doing the same here in KC. We have sent out 4 of the 2000's City Sterlings to smaller terminals and replaced them with repainted junk 834's "duel use". Trouble here is we don't have any turns, so they get sent out and shorts us on city equipment.

ace wheel cat said:
Just send all the worn out junk to Atl. ,,,we got no bed runs.
Dual use is old road tracs, we've got a lot of them in Atl.
This dosen't mean they get driven in city / shuttle work, not as long as there are road tracs. to be grabbed up.
This past week they took 3 of the 804 series (2000 model) Volvo tracs off the road, removed side air farings, painted them solid blue, and put them in the city fleet.
Also of note : dock switchers were using the blue Volvos (3 of them) to switch. This way they didn't have to pull the pins, just hit the button.
I don't get it , they still had to get out to take the airline off and dolly down / up.
bill you are the man!

hilo@342 said:
They are doing the same here in KC. We have sent out 4 of the 2000's City Sterlings to smaller terminals and replaced them with repainted junk 834's "duel use". Trouble here is we don't have any turns, so they get sent out and shorts us on city equipment.
No turns, what about Salina, Emporia, Kmart. Columbia, Sadalia, Wichita. St. Louis, Springfield,Tulsa, Muskogee, and Omaha. These are the one's that come to mind. Mustache Retired Roadwae

Where I work they use blue trucks for moving trailers when buggies r down cause they sit a little higher and they dont have to crank the dollies up or down most of the time. Not much to do with not pullin the pin. Sometimes but not always the blue ones are put out of service for no air or something so they will use it till they send it to a shop.

mustache said:
No turns, what about Salina, Emporia, Kmart. Columbia, Sadalia, Wichita. St. Louis, Springfield,Tulsa, Muskogee, and Omaha. These are the one's that come to mind. Mustache Retired Roadwae
Should have said "few turns". However, Kmart, Emporia, and Wichita are "triples" and the "duel use" tractors aren't licenced for triples. And Springfield is primarily covered by Springfield drivers.

Tonight all of the yard buggys were being used, so I grabbed a Volvo out of the "write up pit". Tractors that come in with a problem are put in there to be worked on ASAP. Mine had some type of problem where it wouldn't idle right, but it worked fine to "crank" in. DS.

Toxic said:
hmmm, I don't think that would happen up here in the East, that blue junk doesn't belong up here with all these hills. Give me a nice orange volvo, and you guys can keep the blue junk and the orange sterlings!

serta said:
hmmm, I don't think that would happen up here in the East, that blue junk doesn't belong up here with all these hills. Give me a nice orange volvo, and you guys can keep the blue junk and the orange sterlings!
Your right serta the blue ones don't pull at all...

hilo@342 said:
Should have said "few turns". However, Kmart, Emporia, and Wichita are "triples" and the "duel use" tractors aren't licenced for triples. And Springfield is primarily covered by Springfield drivers.

I just took one these "special" tractors to Dallas, what a fun ride that was, and if you will look at the triples permits....the dual use tractors ARE on the list but only the turnpike not licensed in western Kansas or Colorado, oh and Mustache....what's a "roadwea"????