ABF | Dying in Dayton

CDL holder

with all endorsements
Credits
We are getting very slow and it's not even Labor Day. A lot of guys sitting home on a series of slow Fridays and slow Mondays but now we've got slow Tuesdays.

Once the work of 21 drivers is moved in the COO, we will probably start seeing the layoffs begin.

We are getting very slow and it's not even Labor Day. A lot of guys sitting home on a series of slow Fridays and slow Mondays but now we've got slow Tuesdays.

Once the work of 21 drivers is moved in the COO, we will probably start seeing the layoffs begin.
Sales rode the gravy train for the last 3 years (amazon) now its time for them to do their jobs or lay them off....

GO40 said:
Sales rode the gravy train for the last 3 years (amazon) now its time for them to do their jobs or lay them off....

I wouldn't blame sales for not doing their job but also pricing isn't real aggressive either.

I wouldn't blame sales for not doing their job but also pricing isn't real aggressive either.
I would and for pricing it's being greedy in my opinion ups freight is getting a lot of freight & they have the same wage & benifit package as us????

I would and for pricing it's being greedy in my opinion ups freight is getting a lot of freight & they have the same wage & benifit package as us????

Their wages might be competitive but I don't think they have the benefits costs that ABF does. On top of that you should get a hold of their contract and see how much they save throughout it. That contract is an abhorrition and the Teamsters Union should be ashamed of it.

Their wages might be competitive but I don't think they have the benefits costs that ABF does. On top of that you should get a hold of their contract and see how much they save throughout it. That contract is an abhorrition and the Teamsters Union should be ashamed of it.
They still pay a pension( i know it's different then ours) health coverage & wages that will be around $26 per hour at the end of the contract.

Yep, wages that will be pretty high shortly. It will be interesting to see how they are doing with what will be the highest wages in the industry at that point. One other thing-up to this point I don't think UPS Freight has been profitable. UPS doesn't have to separate the freight revenues from the package revenues so we don't really know how UPS Freight is doing and they have super low pricing in effect out there, that is how they are getting all the freight that they are.

Yep, wages that will be pretty high shortly. It will be interesting to see how they are doing with what will be the highest wages in the industry at that point. One other thing-up to this point I don't think UPS Freight has been profitable. UPS doesn't have to separate the freight revenues from the package revenues so we don't really know how UPS Freight is doing and they have super low pricing in effect out there, that is how they are getting all the freight that they are.
That could be the reason, fed x could be doing the same. We lost several major accounts inthe past year 1/2 and had nothing to replace them. A set came in last night from dayton lead 40% empty tail went to bed for 10 hours went back with an empty set not much revenue on that trip. Maybe this whole thing is just a ploy to get the change approved i dont know i just hope we start moving freight again.

That could be the reason, fed x could be doing the same. We lost several major accounts inthe past year 1/2 and had nothing to replace them. A set came in last night from dayton lead 40% empty tail went to bed for 10 hours went back with an empty set not much revenue on that trip. Maybe this whole thing is just a ploy to get the change approved i dont know i just hope we start moving freight again.

The whole economy is back in the dumper. As a freight hauler we see next month's wall street news today and it isn't pretty. I check with customers all the time and get told that things went south about two weeks ago with a couple of exceptions. Have friends at other companies with same stories. One guy works in recycling business-scrap paper and cardboard and even that is real slow right now. It is not our government's job to "create" jobs but it is their job to pass legislation that forces the work back to the US from China and elsewhere. Until they realize that this country's economy is going nowhere. Short term the rich get richer at our expense, long term they'll feel the pain too.

Well........It's after Labor Day, the COO was not approved. And the bottom folks are still sitting at home waiting on a call. What is next I wonder?

Well........It's after Labor Day, the COO was not approved. And the bottom folks are still sitting at home waiting on a call. What is next I wonder?

After all of the east coasters get their generators it gets even worse, that's what's next.

Just think, if the change goes through, the slow periods will be even slower when 21 city based road drivers are out there hauling our freight without any limitations whatsoever (current utility drivers allegedly can take only premium freight).

Just think, if the change goes through, the slow periods will be even slower when 21 city based road drivers are out there hauling our freight without any limitations whatsoever (current utility drivers allegedly can take only premium freight).
It doesnt take much to change line haul freight to Premium freight. I was told all they have to do is change a few numbers in the computer. Before long every thing will be Premium freight!! Its the way of the future.

I guess pretty soon I'll be laid off from 2 union shops (YRC & ABF)... haven't worked for a week and I'm 60 down on the extra board on Sunday... I don't expect to get a call anytime soon

It's interesting that Saia and Vitran, among others, have local P&D driver ads in the Columbus Dispatch Sun paper though... I wonder if either is a good place to work for and if layoffs will happen there this winter

I feel your pain. Those of us hired in 05 and 06 have been laid off almost as much ad we've worked and I have a feeling that it's coming our way again.

By reading the boards for Saia and Vitran, neither are very attractive so it's hard to say which is better. I've talked to former Vitran & former Saia and from a personal perspective I would shoot for Vitran.

I work for UPS Freight and it is seriously slow. I just hope it picks up soon we have slow Mondays slow Fridays and slow days in between