Holland | E.L.D.'s comments & thoughts ?

The carrier I am leased on to has gone with the omnitracs system. We know that the program was set up for a Truckload van carrier. This carrier is a specialized flat,step and heavy haul oilfield outfit. Its not a very good fit for what we do. But I bet they got a deal on a used up system. It locks up and has issues when working between the workflow and the HOS screens. The HOS program has been known to not give you your additional drive time after a 30 minute break. When you push the OK button to enter a change of duty status some times it works sometimes it don't.

Omnitracs itself is not the problem, that system is widely used as an e log. The problem is the 3G Honeywell handhelds (i mean seriously they should stick to thermostats) along with the Holland software. The two apps do not play as well together as they say they do.

I have gone 3 weeks straight without having any issues with it not logging off or anything else for that matter. The only issues I have are related to the handheld itself.
So you are saying it is more of a hardware problem not a software problem? If they had bought a different companies handheld device and run the same programs we might have been better off? I feel sorry for some of these guys who have never even used a smart phone, it has to be quite a shock! Do you guys think that if some of the older guys retire instead of fighting with them the company might actually be happy and glad of the system they went with? I know we have two guys at our barn that are bumping up their retirements because they just don't want the headaches.

for the majority of us here in Gaylord has been nothing but a nightmare the city guys seem to have adapted well but the line haul seems to be having issues every night. Too complicated way too many steps too many people using each device 3-g service trucks not properly prepared for it some of our trucks don't even have cradles on them yet for charging or the modems talk about waiting till the last second what a joke

for the majority of us here in Gaylord has been nothing but a nightmare the city guys seem to have adapted well but the line haul seems to be having issues every night. Too complicated way too many steps too many people using each device 3-g service trucks not properly prepared for it some of our trucks don't even have cradles on them yet for charging or the modems talk about waiting till the last second what a joke
Do you think the fact that the city guys are getting paid to do it and the line haul guys are doing it for nothing could have something to do with it?

Not really I think it's too many people putting too much information and not logging in that logging out properly and I don't think the system meshes well together

I've noticed it's the same guys on a daily basis that seem to have problems with it. So I'm guessing it just comes down to dumbness.

The ELD's are not going to go away. So instead of finding every excuse to not use them,complain about them,or dream up excuses of why they use the system they purchased,just adapt and move on. They will be no big deal with repetitive use after a short time.

Our O.R. is going to be bad with WASTING 30-45 mins a day rebooting them & trying to get them to work , so just say take 1000 driver's a just a 1/2 hour a day on O.T. is about $15.500.00 bucks a day on wasted O.T. pay screwing with these old outdated ELD and our very old computer system and take that times 30 days is about $465,000.00 a month wasted on trying to get them to work !! Cha-Ching !!

Our O.R. is going to be bad with WASTING 30-45 mins a day rebooting them & trying to get them to work , so just say take 1000 driver's a just a 1/2 hour a day on O.T. is about $15.500.00 bucks a day on wasted O.T. pay screwing with these old outdated ELD and our very old computer system and take that times 30 days is about $465,000.00 a month wasted on trying to get them to work !! Cha-Ching !!

Well partner. You could look at it like you got a part of that 15 percent back for ELD training???

I've noticed it's the same guys on a daily basis that seem to have problems with it. So I'm guessing it just comes down to dumbness.

I'm going back and read your post again, can't believe what I just read, "accusing a truck driver of being dumb?"
"You gotta be kiddin"

Sounds like something management would say. Blame the driver for our inferior electronics. Had to laugh when company extended paper logs for another week. What will the plan be for next week?

A lot of drivers just plain don't want to understand electronic logs. If you use the system the way you're supposed to any kind of elog device will work just fine for linehaul. Why? Because all it has to do is track your HOS.

A lot of people are making excuses for not reading the instructions, if you ask me. I've heard people complain about the system we're using at Speedy, but I personally have only ever had issues in places where cellular reception isn't good. Otherwise, I've found if you follow the instructions instead of futzing around with it, it works great.

So I wouldn't say it's necessarily drivers being dumb, but someone who's never used a smartphone could have problems with even Peoplenet. To say nothing of people who just don't like computers or technology.

page13image544

page13image544
Maybe this will help

Start day

Clock in time clock
Enter tractor
Enter trailer(only after it has work assigned to it)
Connect hand held to truck, must be in cab
Make sure tractor and trailer number appear under your name in Omni
Pedal freight

End of day

Open Omni change from driving to on duty wait for status to change you will hear beep and top of screen will say change duty status
Then arrive yourself
Exit in p/d or new trip
**Log out ( not off duty) Omni. ****
Log out p/d
Log off duty on computer (if you work dock do this at end of shift)
Clock out

****If you do not Log Out of device this screws things up

Feel free to ask questions
problem I had today was it worked fine all day till about 10 hours in the day I was inside a customers place for 1 hour with the phone it lit up and said I lost the gps had to go on a paper log I think I should off left it in the truck the whole time but dispatch could not contact me I was inside the whole time any thoughts on why it did this thanks for your help

don't take your phone in a place for a long time away from the truck it will lose your gps for omnitrax them makes you go an a paper log the rest of your day what a pain in the you no what