ABF | E log woes

RonnieJames

TB Lurker
Credits
Looks like the DOT will be on a mission to compare written logs to new ELD (elogs) once companies go online.
Apparently your signature on the top line creates a legal document that can be upheld in court.
It's kinda weird, but, seriously, how do you explain years of running long trips, weeks and months one way and in one fail swoop your electronic log will tell the real truth.
This is why the trucking industry is not worth the aggravation anymore.
On a different note, I do know a couple drivers who were audited by the IRS and their written logs for the past seven years were entered as evidence.

I don't know what system you use or going to use,I've been on elogs five years now,and if you need a paper copy you simply go on line and print it,and its exactly just like the computer screen with same details etc.BTW the drivers only required to be able to show logs for prior 8 days the computer will interface with the State troopers computer(you carry an instruction card for him if it's the cops first time)so he can download them or he can simply climb up in the cab and you can show him the screen..This isn't new technology before you start barking about grievences and coming up with dumb hypothetical situations wait until its actually implemented.
As for proof for the IRS, you go online and simply download you elogs and print them,no storage,no misplacing them..Ask any other LTL driver thats using elogs if he'd want to go back to paper and almost 100% will tell you "Hell No"

Last edited:
It's illegal to keep two logs. Grievances will be filed as soon as I have to do this.
I doubt that a grievance will go anywhere and I wouldn't waste my time. There may be DOT (formerly ICC)
language regarding maintaining two logs and it may even look like you would have a legitimate complaint but that language was written long before e-logs were even dreamed about. Therefore, I would expect any grievance and/or legal use of that language to be thrown out of court.

I doubt that a grievance will go anywhere and I wouldn't waste my time. There may be DOT (formerly ICC)
language regarding maintaining two logs and it may even look like you would have a legitimate complaint but that language was written long before e-logs were even dreamed about. Therefore, I would expect any grievance and/or legal use of that language to be thrown out of court.
I'm fine with the e-logs its just the thought of doing both for no reason. Really only need the bottom half of our logs to punch our clock times and get paid. I've actually worked for a company that had them. It was great not having to write everything down and not keeping track of hours.

I'm going to be one of the 1% that doesn't care for them (computer logs). I didn't have them at Holland and now use them at my current company. I can do a paper log in the same time or less that it takes me to log into that computer. I'm more aware of the hours I've run for the week and what I have left because I had to figure it all up myself vs letting a computer do it. If there was a mistake I could fix it before I turned it in, now if there is a mistake I have to make several phone calls and hold the line before I can even move the truck. ~ Not a fan

I'm going to be one of the 1% that doesn't care for them (computer logs). I didn't have them at Holland and now use them at my current company. I can do a paper log in the same time or less that it takes me to log into that computer. I'm more aware of the hours I've run for the week and what I have left because I had to figure it all up myself vs letting a computer do it. If there was a mistake I could fix it before I turned it in, now if there is a mistake I have to make several phone calls and hold the line before I can even move the truck. ~ Not a fan
I didn't think it was possible to make a mistake. I thought that was the whole point ...that it logged exactly what you did.

I didn't think it was possible to make a mistake. I thought that was the whole point ...that it logged exactly what you did.

Things can still go wrong. Forget to flag a pre or post trip and get a letter. Log out of the computer and truck all together as "on duty" instead of "off duty" and next time you log back in you have zero hours to work. Those are human made mistakes and I amongst others have and will make. I guess some of it depends on the system the particular company uses and the way it's set up.

You can go back and fix errors. Under "Annotations", there is an icon for " Forgotten Annotations". You can go back and adjust your log. Don't forget that when these are implemented, you will have to electronically "certify" that the log is true and accurate,.....just as your signature on a paper log makes it an official document. The driver ONLY, is allowed to make corrections, for anyone else to do it would be a violation of law.

I know what you wrote but it's bs.
So, let's get this straight.
Let's just say that you have been lying on your log for years. You know, logging breaks you don't take, pre trips , safety breaks etc.
Now, that same bid, same run that you've been flat out caught lying on has completely different on line information.
That's not a huge red flag??
Your log is a legal document. Your signature is agreeing that what you wrote in it is the truth.
Where is this BS? I would be very careful logging on that first day. All I'm saying is the DOT has every right to question these fish in a barrel.
That's what I hear they have been doing.
And, this is not a union thing that a grievance can settle, it's the Federal government.

So, let's get this straight.
Let's just say that you have been lying on your log for years. You know, logging breaks you don't take, pre trips , safety breaks etc.
Now, that same bid, same run that you've been flat out caught lying on has completely different on line information.
That's not a huge red flag??
Your log is a legal document. Your signature is agreeing that what you wrote in it is the truth.
Where is this BS? I would be very careful logging on that first day. All I'm saying is the DOT has every right to question these fish in a barrel.
That's what I hear they have been doing.
And, this is not a union thing that a grievance can settle, it's the Federal government.
Falsifying logs has always been a disciplinary offence, due to the fines and sanctions that could be imposed on a company that submits false logs. We're supposed to do them, correct them as needed, sign to certify, .....and then the Employer is required to check the veracity by comparing your log to other company data,......sign in-out sheets for one,....and then submit them to the DOT........who can, and will audit randomly. Anyone who, for "years",..... has been falsifying logs, has been perjuring himself systematically,.......which is his business ,........until he has a problem, or an accident. Then it becomes the government's,......and the public's,....business. It seems that trucking is the only transportation industry occupation where the employees treat their legal HOS so cavalierly. I don't recall any train engineers speeding to get a backhaul of coal,........or an airline pilot falsifying his log so he could stay in the air longer. When we,...... as an industry,.....start taking this stuff seriously, instead of perceiving it as a " game" to be played with your boss and the DOT cops,....then maybe the public will start perceiving truck driving as a more "professional" occupation,.....like train engineer, or pilot,...than they do now.