ABF | E log woes

Falsifying logs has always been a disciplinary offence, due to the fines and sanctions that could be imposed on a company that submits false logs. We're supposed to do them, correct them as needed, sign to certify, .....and then the Employer is required to check the veracity by comparing your log to other company data,......sign in-out sheets for one,....and then submit them to the DOT........who can, and will audit randomly. Anyone who, for "years",..... has been falsifying logs, has been perjuring himself systematically,.......which is his business ,........until he has a problem, or an accident. Then it becomes the government's,......and the public's,....business. It seems that trucking is the only transportation industry occupation where the employees treat their legal HOS so cavalierly. I don't recall any train engineers speeding to get a backhaul of coal,........or an airline pilot falsifying his log so he could stay in the air longer. When we,...... as an industry,.....start taking this stuff seriously, instead of perceiving it as a " game" to be played with your boss and the DOT cops,....then maybe the public will start perceiving truck driving as a more "professional" occupation,.....like train engineer, or pilot,...than they do now.
True!
Another thing to remember, this is now going into effect for ALL carriers by 2017. Which means all DOT officials are on board. Maybe they weren't so stringent in the past, but you can bet they will be now. They will be making examples of certain people as usual

Per diem rates are different in every state. So if you do your taxes wrong, yes, the IRS will take your log books.
Wrong again Joes bar and grill.
You do not need logs for an IRS audit only a record of your time away from home, logs are just convenient for drivers ,if you were a traveling salesman you would not have logs. If you think any IRS employee has an interest in contacting the DOT you need a medication change.

Last edited:
So, let's get this straight.
Let's just say that you have been lying on your log for years. You know, logging breaks you don't take, pre trips , safety breaks etc.
Now, that same bid, same run that you've been flat out caught lying on has completely different on line information.
That's not a huge red flag??
Your log is a legal document. Your signature is agreeing that what you wrote in it is the truth.
Where is this BS? I would be very careful logging on that first day. All I'm saying is the DOT has every right to question these fish in a barrel.
That's what I hear they have been doing.
And, this is not a union thing that a grievance can settle, it's the Federal government.
Least of my worries. I will only be accountable for my next log. Besides anyone who runs against the rules should be fined.

But they will not hold anyone accountable for runs they ran years ago.

If they do then the pension problem will be solved.(nobody on the outside to draw a pension.

You do not need logs for an IRS audit only a record of your time away from home, logs are just convenient for drivers ,if you were a traveling salesman you would not have logs. If you think any IRS employee has an interest in contacting the DOT you need a medication change.
You do if your audited. Go back to the bar

Least of my worries. I will only be accountable for my next log. Besides anyone who runs against the rules should be fined.

But they will not hold anyone accountable for runs they ran years ago.

If they do then the pension problem will be solved.(nobody on the outside to draw a pension.
And again like I said...
The DOT will be out in full force once it's all electronic.
Who do you think is in charge out there? FMCSA are not the initials for Arkansas best freight

And again like I said...
The DOT will be out in full force once it's all electronic.
Who do you think is in charge out there? FMCSA are not the initials for Arkansas best freight
I never said they were. You seem to be pointing the finger at Brothers that ran runs you thought were to long to accomplish.
I'm sure you have always been without one to never have broken a rule or law. I have always ran a clean log and therefore I have nothing to worry about. As for abf they do not fill out my log I DO! so they do not even factor into this conversation.

My terminal was the first to get the E-log system at abf. We had some growing pains but that was to be expected. I would suggest that you worry about your log only because there is nothing you can do about anyone else.

I would hate to have to worry about not only my log but those of thousands of other drivers also. The DOT will do what they have to do and so should you. YOUR ALWAYS OBEYING THE LAW BROTHER ALWAYS!

I never said they were. You seem to be pointing the finger at Brothers that ran runs you thought were to long to accomplish.
I'm sure you have always been without one to never have broken a rule or law. I have always ran a clean log and therefore I have nothing to worry about. As for abf they do not fill out my log I DO! so they do not even factor into this conversation.

My terminal was the first to get the E-log system at abf. We had some growing pains but that was to be expected. I would suggest that you worry about your log only because there is nothing you can do about anyone else.

I would hate to have to worry about not only my log but those of thousands of other drivers also. The DOT will do what they have to do and so should you. YOUR ALWAYS OBEYING THE LAW BROTHER ALWAYS!
That's what I just said...
I'm only passing what I know around. I never said anything that's not true, I guess I'm hitting a nerve on some nervous Nellies.
Good luck, seems like lots will need it

That's what I thought, you heard it at the truckstop,IF YOU WOULD GO TO THE IRS SITE YOU WOULD KNOW THE TRUCKSTOP LAWYER IS FULL OF :::shit:::>
Now I get why your so unlinked around here. You must be the exact log cheating know it all that I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was an O/O for nine years, and I never ran an illegal log. May have stretched an hour or two, but mainly ran legal. As a businessman,.......with my own truck, I couldn't see the point in running illegal. The way I figured was,........I I couldn't make money running legal,.....there was either something wrong with the people I was leased to, or something wrong with me..........Something wrong somewhere, that's for sure............And yeah,.....I ssw a lot of companies "schmooze" guys, saying: " you're the greatest, you're the fastest, you can run that 60,000 lb. overload 700 miles and deliver it tomorrow morning...."........And the idiot would do it....

Now I got trained on the e-logs yesterday.Used it yesterday no problems.Finshed my peddle run logged out in the tractor and then changed my status to on duty dock using the scan clock on the wall in the drivers room.Did about a half hour on the dock then clocked out and went home.The clock said your are logged off goodbye.Started my shift today logged on to dock then city status when I was ready to leave.Logged in in the tractor and said I had 0 hours for today.Did a recap and it seems I been on duty from the previous day and was never logged out.I just turned the dam thing off and left on my run.Half the barn been trained on these and all are having the same problem.It seems the clock that you scan in the drivers room ain't communicating with the computer in the truck.Anybody else have issues with this?

Now I got trained on the e-logs yesterday.Used it yesterday no problems.Finshed my peddle run logged out in the tractor and then changed my status to on duty dock using the scan clock on the wall in the drivers room.Did about a half hour on the dock then clocked out and went home.The clock said your are logged off goodbye.Started my shift today logged on to dock then city status when I was ready to leave.Logged in in the tractor and said I had 0 hours for today.Did a recap and it seems I been on duty from the previous day and was never logged out.I just turned the dam thing off and left on my run.Half the barn been trained on these and all are having the same problem.It seems the clock that you scan in the drivers room ain't communicating with the computer in the truck.Anybody else have issues with this?
Yes sir.......On the onboard device, there's a logout selection. When we don't use that, and only swipe on the timeclock, it seems that the truck recorder overrides the swipe clock. Try logout on the onboard device, select on duty status, press "OK" twice for your post trip, ...and the truck will record you as off duty, but the timeclock swiper will still keep you on duty at the terminal.

And,....under "Annotations", you will find " Forgotten Annotations ", ...and you can go back and correct your status.