Holland | E-logs

mkwH-35083

Slowride
Credits
The new e-logs are now being used by a selected few drivers with long bid runs. I had my hands on one the other night. Although there are a few things that I am not looking forward to, there are some features that I think I'm really going to like. If a highway is shut down, central can contact you before you might ever know, as well as route you around it. All verbally, plus written instructions. Each driver will be assigned a hand held device.

Very interesting! I hope anyone who has any experience with these will keep this post going with updates. I always figured there would be pros and cons. If a few are using them you have to think we all will before long?

The new e-logs are now being used by a selected few drivers with long bid runs. I had my hands on one the other night. Although there are a few things that I am not looking forward to, there are some features that I think I'm really going to like. If a highway is shut down, central can contact you before you might ever know, as well as route you around it. All verbally, plus written instructions. Each driver will be assigned a hand held device.
I have Walmart friends that have them. They are constantly getting messages about accidents and road closures and being rerouted around them. Sounds pretty cool to me...

Very interesting! I hope anyone who has any experience with these will keep this post going with updates. I always figured there would be pros and cons. If a few are using them you have to think we all will before long?
The other thing that is being studied along with the new hand held devices is finally giving us a little more speed. The fella that I spoke with the other day is one of the drivers testing them. He had stated that they were pushing for at least 65 mph. We are turning a lot of runs right now that are very tight, if not impossible to properly log. Eventually from what he was saying, they will replace the DVIR books and the login computers at each barn.

I have Walmart friends that have them. They are constantly getting messages about accidents and road closures and being rerouted around them. Sounds pretty cool to me...
Still my choice to run the route I choose. If central starts detouring us around it eliminates delay pay. Another giveback we would be doing.

If the updates and directives are not oral or audio be sure to pull over and stop before reading them, otherwise we'll be seeing more activity up in the accidents and drivers we miss forums.

The other thing that is being studied along with the new hand held devices is finally giving us a little more speed. The fella that I spoke with the other day is one of the drivers testing them. He had stated that they were pushing for at least 65 mph. We are turning a lot of runs right now that are very tight, if not impossible to properly log. Eventually from what he was saying, they will replace the DVIR books and the login computers at each barn.
I can see them picking and choosing who gets turned up, like one million miles and a run in excess of five hundred and eighty miles or some bull like that. It sure is a shame we don't have a union that will stick up for the drivers, maybe some day when all the ones in charge reach room temperature.

What do you do if your E log machine breaks down in the middle of your run?
They were talking about if you get within a reasonable distance from a terminal that someone would come get you. Other companies have dealt with it the same way.

I can see them picking and choosing who gets turned up, like one million miles and a run in excess of five hundred and eighty miles or some bull like that. It sure is a shame we don't have a union that will stick up for the drivers, maybe some day when all the ones in charge reach room temperature.
They are already doing that. Have been for a long time. If you run a 600+ mile bid, they'll usually turn your truck up if you make enough noise. This is supposed to be fleet wide. But also, contractually, there is supposed to be equality. If our union was worth a damn, they would fight for that equality. I know of one case where a few guys are running a 625+ mile bid and all have had the company turn their trucks up. Another driver is running an open turn, but 98% of the time runs the same turn and they won't turn his up. Then, our open board guys are being asked to run 675 to 685 because there are not enough drivers to move the freight, but they won't turn those folks up at all! They are the ones that need it most.

If the updates and directives are not oral or audio be sure to pull over and stop before reading them, otherwise we'll be seeing more activity up in the accidents and drivers we miss forums.
I had heard that they will beep two or three times, then the voice of someone from central will tell you audibly

If central detours you around a delay and pays for extra miles for said detour I'm all for it. Better to pay you detour miles and get you back sooner then delay pay.
I rather wait it out and get paid for it. Central rerouted us around jelico mtn I-75 to 25w paid us 16 extra miles for detour for s curve two lane using both lane to make curve. Yeah I trust my judgment not theirs.

I get your point on trusting your judgment and I agree with it. To a point. Abuse of hourly pay is something that gets under my skin though. I have been in those situations with them where it must look good on a computer screen in Michigan. At the end of the day, it's your call and your comfort zone.

Abusing I agree, but they agreed to it with the little contract/HOLLAND work rules we have left. I'm not giving them no breaks. Why run thru joe blows small town work extra hard when you can sit wait get paid and have a decent night. Letting them tell you how to run is helping them not you. How has the company helped you out lately? These two letters I got shows me enough already.

I get your point on trusting your judgment and I agree with it. To a point. Abuse of hourly pay is something that gets under my skin though. I have been in those situations with them where it must look good on a computer screen in Michigan. At the end of the day, it's your call and your comfort zone.[/QUOTE

I agree. To much abuse of hourly pay. As mad as I am at the 15% cut stealing time is no way to make it back. We have a couple bid drivers that daily are 45-55 minutes behind schedule. They do it purposely because they are mad and know they can't get in trouble unless an hour behind. Meanwhile city guys on clock waiting on there freight. Money wasted. Do you think the non unions put up with that, I don't think so. That's who we are completing with for freight. We've actually lost good accounts due to being late all the time. I get mad at management for wasting money on stupid sh** (Mobile eye) that I have to be fair when I see a fellow driver do the same by wasting time. Problem is management doesn't care anymore.

Well then maybe write ups will be looked at better. I went 10 days writing up a tractor without anything being signed off or even looked at. And even if you refuse to drive it, you'll just be handed something in the same or worse shape.