XPO | E Track Tailers... OMG!!!

What is wrong with you? Can't you read a simple comment and comprehend it? Who said anything about damaging freight and blaming it on someone else? I am going to try this one more time and try to make it more simple. I had 8 skids, 12 boxes on each skid. They came out of a NON E-track trailer. The E-Track trailer that was in my loading door was my 2nd trailer of 2 trailers. In order to get the skids in the trailer I had to take off the top 4 boxes because when I tried to put them in but the top boxes hit the racks. I'm scratchingmyhead trying to figure out what is so difficult to understand. Unless you don't understand because you don't even work here. It happens, I know of someone else that posts here that don't even drive a truck.

The handhelds track the employees who use them. When you look at a manifest all those names on it are the employees who loaded the bills. When you mark exception on your handheld it says the shipment was damaged. If the person who loaded it (whose name is printed from the computer on the manifest and you can see) didn't click exception also the damage is placed on them and their sic. Doesn't even matter if there is a claim eventually or not.

Who said anything about damaging freight and blaming it on someone else?

You told the company the freight was damaged when you,

Make sure you mark that in the exceptions.

There are only 3 options in the exceptions tab: over, short, damage. You can't even add a comment without choosing one. Obviously, you didn't mark over; I wouldn't disrespect you by saying you marked short; the option left is damage.

Management can, will and do go back to look at these exceptions. This is common sense but let me say it to you explicitly, marking exception shifts claim damage back on the previous sic and loader (aka driver). We've only had these hand-helds for a few months but eventually the company will use this info for something. I've had conversations about this exact issue because of what your doing and advertising for others to do. I see drivers and supervisors alike with this mentality. Opps, just damaged that freight (I mean really f$cked it up), mark it down as exception, it'll be on the previous sic. Fuk, man up (not directed at you).

The company can't even be sure loaded freight wasn't unloaded and reloaded or the next guy dropping freight damaged what someone else loaded prior. There is no way for true accountability with the company's current model. But watch, there are too many new numbers flying around next to employees names for it not to be attractive for the company to act on. Then the company will get smart and realize the possibilities with the hand-held data. Wait until they hire a statistician and start interpolating employee performance; all those exceptions will come back on you because it'll show a trend. Trust me, the math ain't even hard.

And your being a bit naive to think there won't be a claim for that little bit you just did to that freight. I see it done all the time but not with the "do not remove shrink wrap", such as those used on the supplies being shipped to the prisons.

The opinions expressed in this post are the views of the writer and do not represent any company.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are only 3 options in the exceptions tab: over, short, damage. You can't even add a comment without choosing one. Obviously, you didn't mark over; I wouldn't disrespect you by saying you marked short; the option left is damage.

why wouldn't he mark over, if he broke don the top layers and made an additional pallet or two with those layers and made a comment saying that and writing that on the coso, where's the blame on the previous guy. i know it might depend on how the original driver signed for it (plts or pieces). Its all got to fit right? Is Dodge just going to ram them in and hope the bar give way?

another thing with regards to the straps, I noticed that they are now installing bags that hang on the walls to hold them, how hard is it to keep that bag in the trlr and move it around to load in that spot with out ripping it open or throwing it on the pile of straps that are on the dock. they just simplified the hanging process and now were just tossing that aside?

Hey MOWJOE
They gave up on the bag install almost immediately after the campaign came out. They quickly figured out that it was a bad idea. The bags have been returned to the vendors. Although there may still be a few hanging around in some trailers.
Just my .02

why wouldn't he mark over, if he broke don the top layers and made an additional pallet or two with those layers and made a comment saying that and writing that on the coso, where's the blame on the previous guy. i know it might depend on how the original driver signed for it (plts or pieces). Its all got to fit right? Is Dodge just going to ram them in and hope the bar give way?

When all the trailers are converted to safestack this won't be an issue, because the packages will have to fit into a safestack trailer when they are picked up. For right now, there are different options also, the package could be redirected, sent on a via or put on a different trailer.

But to directly answer your question, he should definitely not break it down, mark over and then put a note saying he did that because he could be fired for it, which any company driver should know already. That's against company policy and federal regulations also. They don't publicly state many policies but that is one of the few they do. It's called "reconfiguring" and you need the customers prior approval; just watch one of the training dvds. And these are packages specifically wrapped with shrink saying "do not remove shrink wrap". Customers are turning away stuff now for the smallest thing.

I see dsrs taking it on themselves to do that all the time but I wouldn't. Then they mark damage to cover themselves.

If a supervisor actually told me to do it and wouldn't sign it on himself, I would just dock it and drive away. Guaranteed, you'd never hear about it again. But that's me and I've never had a problem getting a package in a safestack from being too tall. I've had problems getting them through the regular terminal openings but not into the trailers since we've had them. The beams near the door take off an inch or two from the trailer opening but when I looked at it the other day it still looked like they are higher than the shorter terminal opening.

Last edited by a moderator: