SAIA | East coast push!

Well this info received from other drivers so tske it for what its worth...I heard a few months back Saia aquired Ward Trucking and plans to open up the NE after the first of the year. Since then I have been told of maby Ward trucks pulling Saia equipment along Ohio and Penn turnpike heading that way.
Also heard a rumor Saia had bought an old Jevic terminal in Pennsylvania. ... all rumor for now....only time will tell. !
Sorry for typos...

Well this info received from other drivers so tske it for what its worth...I heard a few months back Saia aquired Ward Trucking and plans to open up the NE after the first of the year. Since then I have been told of maby Ward trucks pulling Saia equipment along Ohio and Penn turnpike heading that way.
Also heard a rumor Saia had bought an old Jevic terminal in Pennsylvania. ... all rumor for now....only time will tell. !
That's what I heard from a few CLV drivers in CIN on friday night.

How would saia handle the freight from the east coast that moves across the country? Saia doesn't have the facilities on I-70 or I-80 to handle much if any freight growth. I guess those truckload carriers would be happy for the extra loads saia would give them?

Claim jumper makes a valid point. Have to have the infrastructure in place, otherwise you end up looking silly (and not getting your freight moved).

And don't you think upper level management would know that. They would have their ducks in a row before they ever jumped into the northeast arena. You guys seriously underestimate Rick and his executive staff. We are paid to drive trucks. That's our job. Let's leave the expansion plans (if any) to the executives. Common sense would tell me that any expansion plan would involve the buyout of an existing line with such infrastructure in place. This thread is all speculation. In time as we improve our existing footprint in our current lanes I could see it happening. Afterall if we are to become another OD we must grow. Only time will tell if we expand. Not my department. I will say the last thing any company needs to do is expand before they are ready. And even then it's somewhat of a gamble. Bigger isn't always better contrary to what some may have you think.

Are richland terminal and toledo terminal have enough room...indy is suppose to be geeting a new terminal..thats just rumor though

I was just asking. Everywhere I go seems like someone was talking about the NE. As i visited more terminals i started to belive there is no way in the near future like people was saying.

And train, you keep comparing this outfit to O.D. not us. Let me say that i worked for O.D. before Saia and Saia isn't in the same ball park as O.D.

I was just asking. Everywhere I go seems like someone was talking about the NE. As i visited more terminals i started to belive there is no way in the near future like people was saying.

And train, you keep comparing this outfit to O.D. not us. Let me say that i worked for O.D. before Saia and Saia isn't in the same ball park as O.D.
We all must aspire to achieve greatness. OD built that empire with a marvelous business model. It took them time. SAIA STANDS ON THE THRESHOLD OF GREATNESS. I admire what OD has built. We should emulate them. What they did we can do. It just takes time.

I came here from od in 09...i disagree

SAIA has a better work environment. They have a better healthcare plan that is even more reasonably priced. $12 single ... $37 family ... We also pay OT after 45 .. OD is 60. But OD has the best Operation Ratio in the business which makes them the best LTL company in business today. Perhaps because of that the lay offs are less likely and your job security is a bit more secure. I know many people that work at OD and they have their share of disgruntled workers as well. When you put both companies on a scale and weigh the pros and cons I believe SAIA is a better company. That's just my opinion. Right or wrong.

I came here from O.D. six months ago. The reason for the move is i got tired of being on call seven days a week 24 hours a day non stop didnt matter if freight was slow or not. That bothered me.
As far as the equipment, yards, technology, runs, and miles while running the system in my opinion was a step ahead.
I Know it sounds like im banging on saia but im not. Im happy being here. Kinda enjoy it (until i go to stl). I have more family time. Get to watch my boy play ball more. And currently working on building a houseon the ffamily farm. With that being said i am happier here. I am not a disgruntled employee by no means.
But all that wasnt the reasoning for my posting in the first place. I was wondering where saia is gunna put all the new NE freight if they have plans for expanding.

Last edited:
SAIA has a better work environment. They have a better healthcare plan that is even more reasonably priced. $12 single ... $37 family ... We also pay OT after 45 .. OD is 60. But OD has the best Operation Ratio in the business which makes them the best LTL company in business today. Perhaps because of that the lay offs are less likely and your job security is a bit more secure. I know many people that work at OD and they have their share of disgruntled workers as well. When you put both companies on a scale and weigh the pros and cons I believe SAIA is a better company. That's just my opinion. Right or wrong.
I agree 100 %

I came here from O.D. six months ago. The reason for the move is i got tired of being on call seven days a week 24 hours a day non stop didnt matter if freight was slow or not. That bothered me.
As far as the equipment, yards, technology, runs, and miles while running the system in my opinion was a step ahead.
I Know it sounds like im banging on saia but im not. Im happy being here. Kinda enjoy it (until i go to stl). I have more family time. Get to watch my boy play ball more. And currently working on building a houseon the ffamily farm. With that being said i am happier here. I am not a disgruntled employee by no means.
But all that wasnt the reasoning for my posting in the first place. I was wondering where saia is gunna put all the new NE freight if they have plans for expanding.
Sometimes expansion doesn't make sense. IMO it doesn't now. But if they ever choose to I'm sure they will have a plan in place. Rick wasn't born yesterday and I'm sure he understands the consequences of expanding before your ready. History is littered with those that have gone down that path. They are in the boneyard on this very site.

I could see them doing it. The Cleveland terminal is so big that they don't even use half the doors most of the time. Plenty of room for more freight there. Chicagoland is getting a new terminal in Grayslake in a couple months so the old Burr Ridge terminal will have much more capacity once that happens. Indy and St Louis are both rumored to get new terminals in the future. Kansas City is doubling in size as we speak (may already be done by now). Minneapolis is also moving to a new larger terminal soon.

Personally I think they should concentrate on getting better service on the areas they already have, but I'm a dumb truck driver so what the hell do I know, right? Lol