Eastern Freightways

pro1driver

I don't wanna go fishing, even though i got stuff
Credits
ok, i used to work for NEMF out of 02, which is why i am here asking a question or two....

i know Carrier is out of business, but i also heard a "rumor" Eastern Freightways is going out as well.....?? is Mr. S selling out portions of his business's.....??? i know his son Jon is dead, and i thought i heard Nancy wants no part of the business, so ayone know anything other than "rumors".....????

PM me if you'd rather not say publicly............

i am hoping "crocket" from 02 is here as well,( he knows me) i know "ganis" is from 01 is here though.........maybe ganis can elaborate.....????????

thanks in advance..........

I'll set ya straight.

- Carrier is not out of business, just scaled back due to the Gap business changes.
- Eastern is not closing, they just put over 30 tractors (formerly Jevic) into service.

I would say rumors.

i heard that in the harrisburg area they were are actually hiring drivers from carrier due to the increase business from the borders account...we are more stable than most out there..mr shevell has money sitting and waiting along with equipment at terminals all over the place...eastern, nemf and carrier will continue to roll along....just need to get this economy moving so these companies can expand further which will help us all....

sorry but the increse from the Borders account is not what was expected. Harrisburg has laid off some city drives as well as dock, and put some line haul drivers on casual status. On call 24/7

No cake walk here at Eastern either

Eastern seems to be slowing down as well. I am currently running Team for Eastern and we are losing accounts and loads are canceling due to reduced freight volumes.

Eastern did in fact bring in several trucks purchased from Jevic and assigned them to the west coast teams a few months back.

My wife and I elected to stay in our regular truck seeing we are not running as hard as the other teams. They deserve the nicer trucks even though technically I have seniority over many of the other drivers here.

We are getting pressure to turn our loads faster even though we had an understanding with the former Ops manager about how many hours per day we would operate. The ops manager resigned last month and things are getting more tense.

Just last week we were laid over for 2 days in Atlanta Ga due to no freight. We arrived at 2300 on Sunday and did not get our next load out until Wednesday morning. Our Roadrunner account routinely cancels loads lately due to insufficient freight volumes in their system.

This is the first time I have EVER collected layover pay from Eastern as a team driver. Before that I collected layover pay once as a solo driver and that was due to being stuck with a short 45 foot trailer out in Chicago before NEMF expanded out there.

The safety bonuses being paid out here have been delayed lately as well.

I have been employed with Eastern since 2001 and I must say lately I am getting seriously worried. I am crossing my fingers and toes that we will survive but I can feel my ulcers kicking into over drive.

Once again

Once again we are in Atlanta Ga. Delivered our load last night to AAA cooper in Ellenwood Ga and went to bed. When we woke up there were 3 other Eastern trucks sitting beside us. 2 solo trucks and 1 more Team.

We repositioned to the QT truck stop a mile away for food and to wait for our next load assignment.

Have run into 2 more Eastern Drivers since we got over here. One solo has been stuck since last Monday and he just got a load to pick up in McIntyre Ga going to NJ. The other driver (an old hand like me with 6+ years in here at Eastern), mentioned he has been down here since Friday with nothing to do. His first time being laid over on the weekend away from home since he has been with Eastern.

On the way down yesterday I spoke with a former Priority driver, who now works for Eastern, parked at the Pilot in Gaffney SC. He claimed he was doing allot of sitting and was making much less money than he was at Priority. It seems he had been at Priority for 4.5 years before they went out of business a few months back and he was earning .44 cpm over there. Eastern only offered him .37 cpm to start but he took it anyway. Something is better than nothing I guess.

Things are getting very slow. Our bills are falling behind and we are getting calls from our creditors. I sure hope things turn around soon.

A week later 12/16

We picked up our Ga run from S Plainfield NJ Saturday afternoon and swung by the house in Pa for the night.Left out Sunday morning figuring we would make it to Ellenwood Sunday night and be fresh for Monday morning. Made the run just fine in about 12 hours and went to bed. Monday morning no loads available (as usual). Found out there are 3 other Eastern drivers also in the same boat down around Atlanta. Found 2 of them at the QT. 1 has been available since Friday mid day and the other rolled in this morning.

Going on 2 days lay over at this point. Dispatch isn't even answering the computer now. They apparently are so bored they send me for a random "alcohol test." No problem (I don't drink anyway). I went to Concentra and breathed through a straw for them (talk about a waste of time and money). I blew a .000 and that was that. Kind of funny they sent me for a "random" drug test while in Elizabeth NJ just last month. Of course I don't do drugs either so they can waste their money on testing me EVERY day if they like and it wont change the results.

Oh well part of the job. I know "random" means you may not get tested for years and then get tested several times in a row. Luck of the draw I guess.

Been spending allot of time on line watching movies, TV, and playing games. Too bad I couldn't get paid to do that!

Since I started driving in 1992 I have never seen it this bad. I am researching other companies (just in case) but EVERYONE seems to be sitting (even the reefer companies). I have no desire to leave Eastern but I do have bills to pay and a family to feed. At this point McDonalds would even pay better than what we are making now (which is zero).

We picked up our Ga run from S Plainfield NJ Saturday afternoon and swung by the house in Pa for the night.Left out Sunday morning figuring we would make it to Ellenwood Sunday night and be fresh for Monday morning. Made the run just fine in about 12 hours and went to bed. Monday morning no loads available (as usual). Found out there are 3 other Eastern drivers also in the same boat down around Atlanta. Found 2 of them at the QT. 1 has been available since Friday mid day and the other rolled in this morning.

Going on 2 days lay over at this point. Dispatch isn't even answering the computer now. They apparently are so bored they send me for a random "alcohol test." No problem (I don't drink anyway). I went to Concentra and breathed through a straw for them (talk about a waste of time and money). I blew a .000 and that was that. Kind of funny they sent me for a "random" drug test while in Elizabeth NJ just last month. Of course I don't do drugs either so they can waste their money on testing me EVERY day if they like and it wont change the results.

Oh well part of the job. I know "random" means you may not get tested for years and then get tested several times in a row. Luck of the draw I guess.

Been spending allot of time on line watching movies, TV, and playing games. Too bad I couldn't get paid to do that!

Since I started driving in 1992 I have never seen it this bad. I am researching other companies (just in case) but EVERYONE seems to be sitting (even the reefer companies). I have no desire to leave Eastern but I do have bills to pay and a family to feed. At this point McDonalds would even pay better than what we are making now (which is zero).

Join the club Brother. I've been layed off since June of this year. Been working for other companies, nothing good just making enough to get by.
Been driving since the mid 70's. Seen worst times than this.
What goes around, comes around.
It should be hitting bottom soon. Then it will rebound. Hang tight and deal with it.

i know the fealin i drive team for od and ive not ran more then 8000 miles a month in two months bills are way behind and nobody is hiring curently been sitting at home for 9 days waiting on a load was told this morning it would be two to four days before i get a run

I'm not trying hijack your thread but I stumbled on it when searching for info on EFW. I'm absolutely miserable where I'm at now and looking for a change. I saw that you're recruiting alot in the NE. I'm hoping someone can offer some insight as to what the "company culture" is, and what to expect if offered a position. Your company website doesnt offer much except the benefits and that your a TL division of NEMF. Feel free to PM me if you dont want to post.

Eastern is a truckload subsidiary of NEMF which focuses primarily in the northeast. This means shorter runs in general for solo drivers. Average length of haul is around 300 miles including deadhead. The equipment being used is split between older Freightliners and Volvo's meaning 1998 through 2001 and 2006 model Volvo 610s with automatic transmissions. The older equipment is high mileage getting close to 1 million miles in some cases. Some are straight 10 speed transmissions while others are super 10's. No Jake brake or engine brake in the older trucks and low horsepower engines for the older trucks as well. The trucks are repaired as needed but if the driver does not inform the shop or dispatch that there is a problem then the vehicle will not be fixed until the scheduled PM comes around. DVIR's are to be filled out every day and submitted with your logs.

To make it at Eastern you must be tolerant. There will be some time lost due to no freight in your area especially in the current economy. No layover pay until you have gone 48 hours without a dispatch and then you get $88.00. The current solo drivers are only getting between 1500 and 2000 miles per week on average due to the recession.

We do allot of drop and hooks utilizing NEMF yards to store loads that do not have priority deliveries. The dispatchers do their best to keep all drivers compliant with HOS regs and falsification of logs is not condoned nor permitted. Loss of monthly safety bonus is common for drivers that do not comply.

The dispatchers are pretty easy going for the most part. If you have problems at home they will go out of their way to get you home to take care of it. They want you to be focused on the job and if you are worrying about stuff at home you are more of a potential liability than a help to the company.

Dispatch prefers that the drivers communicate via on board computer so there is a record of the conversation. This covers you and covers them in the event a "misunderstanding" arises. They will talk to drivers on the phone as needed if the driver calls in.

Expect to be dispatched Sunday night for a Monday morning delivery. You will be kept out on the road until late Friday night to early Saturday morning depending on the load assignments. The company does prefer to get the drivers home for at least a 34 hour reset each week when possible.

The company has 1 terminal and that is located at 212 Black Horse Lane in North Brunswick NJ. The fleet size is advertised at 150 trucks but I think there is only around 100 or so actually being utilized across all segments (local, regional, and team).

If you have worked at a large carrier you will be disappointed with the small scale and lack of driver amenities offered at the terminal. There is 1 shower in the womens room and 1 in the mens room. No TV. No courtesy car. No "drivers lounge." No on site fueling. The yard is half paved and half gravel. The gravel section is for the trailers while the paved section is for the office employees to park. The pay and benefits offered make up for the lack of amenities IMO.

The drivers tend to ignore 1 another on the roadways and rarely talk to 1 another on the CB. I think this has to do with the nature of this particular job. Drivers will socialize with 1 another when stuck at a customer or waiting for a load at a truck stop but those conversations tend to focus on who has the best story of getting screwed.

If you have any specific questions I will be more than happy to answer them.

Big Thanks JLKKLJ777, That really helps out and clears up alot. The recruitment dept. wasn't volunteering any info, and although I've seen your trucks on I 80 a couple of times, I have'nt seen many, Also I tried to search out terminals, but as you mentioned, only the one on Black Horse Lane popped up. On google satellite it looked like you described with only a half dozen trailers viewable, which had me loaded with questions, especially with their website claiming 150 active trucks and the regions it says that you operate in, but since you use the NEMF yards, it makes sense why I couldnt find any EFW terminals in the area I was looking to hire on in.
LTL is slow, TL is slow, who the heck is hauling all the freight? The rails cant be getting it all! Well I hope things pick up for ALL of us. Maybe I'll see you out there, if not, take care.
Thanks Again for the comeback.

no problem

Big Thanks JLKKLJ777, That really helps out and clears up alot. The recruitment dept. wasn't volunteering any info, and although I've seen your trucks on I 80 a couple of times, I have'nt seen many, Also I tried to search out terminals, but as you mentioned, only the one on Black Horse Lane popped up. On google satellite it looked like you described with only a half dozen trailers viewable, which had me loaded with questions, especially with their website claiming 150 active trucks and the regions it says that you operate in, but since you use the NEMF yards, it makes sense why I couldnt find any EFW terminals in the area I was looking to hire on in.
LTL is slow, TL is slow, who the heck is hauling all the freight? The rails cant be getting it all! Well I hope things pick up for ALL of us. Maybe I'll see you out there, if not, take care.
Thanks Again for the comeback.

When Eastern Freight Ways hires a new driver they put them up in the Holiday inn on the corner (a new hotel and pretty nice accomodations with hot breakfast included) for the 3 day orientation. Lunch is also provided (usually sandwiches, soda and chips or pizza). The orientation takes place at the North Brunswick terminal and is usually where a new driver will pick up his truck (whatever is available at that time).

We do have other trucks staged at NEMF terminals throughout the system as spare units in the event of a breakdown. It is common practice to tow another bobtail unit to the location of a broke down truck so the driver can continue his run. If an Eastern unit is not available a NEMF tractor will be sent in its place.

The company requires the trucks to be parked at an NEMF terminal "IF" you live within a 50 mile radius of a terminal for security reasons. Otherwise you may use the bobtail to go home provided you have a secure location to park the unit with pictures and written permission from the owner of the land submitted to Eastern.

The trucks are equipped with ez-pass (for tolls) and in the past Ohio toll cards have been issued for Ohio. They also have on board computers for dispatching AND tracking.

In the event you have to scale a truck or buy anything for the truck the company will issue you an EFS check for that purchase but requires the receipt within 1 week or the advanced check money will be deducted from the drivers pay until it is received. Most drivers will pay for the scale ticket out of their own pocket and get reimbursed for it later. The company actually will place all submitted receipts into a folder with your name on it until you ask for the reimbursement. What I do is track all my receipts in my notebook and simply ask for a reimbursement around Christmas time (unless I really need it sooner for some reason). For big ticket items such as a blow out I will get the company to issue an EFS check and will fax the receipt directly back to them to cancel out the check. Road side service calls are handled by the NEMF shop.

Eastern do not issue "advances" on pay as a rule. There is no company uniform per say nor are their prohibitions on facial hair. They do not allow flip flops for safety reasons. Technically there is no policy about pets that I am aware of (yet) and I have seen many of our drivers carrying dogs with them. My wife actually brings our 2 mini dachshunds on the road with us and there has been no complaints from the company office personnel.

Eastern is a small entity within a much larger group. Our paperwork is relatively simple as compared to our NEMF driver cousins. We do use the NEMF terminal system for fuel and repairs as well as drop locations for our trailers.

There is some animosity between the 2 divisions though. Mainly stemming from equipment utilization. In short NEMF owns everything and uses whatever trailer they have available for their frieght regardless of what the trailer logo reads. In turn Eastern drivers that need an empty trailer will grab whatever empty they find and use that regardless of whether the trailer reads Eastern Freight Ways or NEMF. There is supposed to be a trailer "pool" for Eastern in NEMF's computer system but NEMF dispatchers can swap out trailers anytime they want. I have even seen partial loads placed on empty Eastern trailers for storage and to prevent Eastern drivers from using that trailer. The drivers themselves do not seem to have any conflicts even though NEMF is union and Eastern is not.

The dispatchers (oh sorry "driver managers" is what they like to be called) are pretty easy going and laid back. They will get to know you by name and provided you do your job they will do their best to treat you well and keep you profitable.

I am trying to be as honest and objective as I can. From one driver to another; "best wishes to you," wherever you decide to work turnnburn.

update...

Well it's been a little over a month since my last post on this thread and I figured it was time to let you all know what has been going on lately.

First (not sure if I mentioned this already) the benefits such as paid sick days, personal days, and vacation time are being reset to January 1st for all drivers rather than having to wait for our anniversary (hire) date. This means we ALL get a fresh set of paid time off beginning January 1 of each year. The only problem is for the first year some of us (me included) will actually have fewer vacation days available. At 7+ years with Eastern I am supposed to get 3 weeks vacation. Instead I am only eligible for 9 days based on their pro-rating method.

Supposedly the office workers were put into the same plan last year.

The company is still having difficulty finding suitable freight for the heavier K-Beam trailers that NEMF ships to AAA Cooper in Atlanta Ga. I lost another load just last week because the freight was too high to fit under the K-Beams. This has happened several times in the past few months and is a constant irritant to other Eastern drivers as well.

This is the second weekend in a row (again) I have been laid over in Atlanta Ga. Apparently Roadrunner canceled our return trip up north (again) so we have been sitting since Friday afternoon.

I am not sure how much I should be complaining (seeing I my wife and I STILL have a job) considering how poor the economy is right now. I know many other people have lost their jobs entirely and while I do want to sound selfish I really expect Eastern to do more to keep us moving.

I know when I first started driving for them back in 2001 it was commonplace for the drivers to get home each weekend (unless the driver volunteered to work for extra money). Since then Eastern has not changed to a 7 day a week dispatch system yet they expect the teams and many other solos to "tough it out" when they get stuck out on the road over the weekend. We may not be working but then again we do not have the creature comforts of our home either to relax in while they do. To top that off the teams forfeit the additional $50.00 Eastern used to pay for working over the weekend (if the load picked up or delivered to a customer AND was scheduled for a Saturday or Sunday pick up/delivery) and we still have to wait 48 hours for any lay over pay. $88.00 split between 2 drivers for 2 to 3 days of sitting is simply inadequate.

I have been reading about many disgruntled former Eastern drivers in another forum as well as some in person. The consensus is everyone is miserable. Low miles, low pay, breakdowns, fighting for break down pay and having to watch their paychecks carefully to make sure they were paid for everything they were supposed to.

I have heard a rumor lately about Eastern being down sized completely and rolled into NEMF as a cost cutting move. I do not know if this has any validity or not but I certainly hope "something" happens soon for all our sakes.

Looks like someone in the office is paying attention. I have been complaining about the lack of miles and getting stuck away from home so I have been offered a Camp Hill to Miami turn twice a week.

This is about 1165 miles each way and we will have to hustle to make the appointment time on the Tuesay morning turn but the miles will be much better than we have been getting AND it will all be NEMF freight.

According to Ray (night dispatch) the turn is in addition to the 2 existing runs already in place being covered by 2 other Eastern teams. Apparently NEMF has been sending the extra runs out with MCI and CRST.

Nice to see NEMF management trying to keep more of the business in house rather than outsourcing it.

Looks like Eastern and NEMF management finally working together.

We will see how it goes over the next few weeks.

ok, i used to work for NEMF out of 02, which is why i am here asking a question or two....

i know Carrier is out of business, but i also heard a "rumor" Eastern Freightways is going out as well.....?? is Mr. S selling out portions of his business's.....??? i know his son Jon is dead, and i thought i heard Nancy wants no part of the business, so ayone know anything other than "rumors".....????

PM me if you'd rather not say publicly............

i am hoping "crocket" from 02 is here as well,( he knows me) i know "ganis" is from 01 is here though.........maybe ganis can elaborate.....????????

thanks in advance..........

I am sure that there are no plans to dispose of Eastern Freightways. I continue to see a substancial number of Eastern Trucks running throughout our Terminal network. There are Eastern Drivers domiciled in most of our Terminals.
There is no specific information that I could point to, but I'm sure that there is some sort of allowable tax break that the Company is able to take advantage of, by utilizing Eastern for some of our Line Haul. I don't think that trying to compete with hundreds of truckload carriers is what the Chairman keeps Eastern running for.

RE:Eastern

you are obviously right. If he expected to make money with it he would have cleaned house years ago and got professional people in there to run it.