R&L | eastern region

sweeping everything under the rug, and he LOVES to retaliate on anyone who complains (although he says he cares and will do everything he can to solve the problem LOL). MJ is not a problem solver, he is a problem sweeper. I told him one time "god forbid we actually fix anything" and he just gives me a dumb look. These idiots do not realize that if you confront and fix the problems then they will actually go away, but if you sweep them, then they just keep coming back over and over and over again
I think you just described every management personnel I have ever met in a 10 year period @ R+L. :biglaugh:

The decisions that are made here are to make more money for the Roberts, period. You should know that by now. If we don't like it- find another job.You can complain all you want. We all have a job to do. From office to dock to drivers. The bottom line is to make the company profitable. And right now they don't have to share if they don't want to.

i have no idea how to respond to this. i mean that makes no sense unless you are just 100% content with things as is i guess? if so good for you, no offense meant. unfortunately i think you are in the minority. we all do our job, and we arent going to look for aother job
have a good one then sir

i have no idea how to respond to this. i mean that makes no sense unless you are just 100% content with things as is i guess? if so good for you, no offense meant. unfortunately i think you are in the minority. we all do our job, and we arent going to look for aother job
have a good one then sir

It was just a statement of facts. You don't have to respond. Until people start leaving for better pay and benifits they don't have to do anything, The Roberts respond to their competition and stay even or a step behind. So its up to us.

It was just a statement of facts. You don't have to respond. Until people start leaving for better pay and benifits they don't have to do anything, The Roberts respond to their competition and stay even or a step behind. So its up to us.

but my point is that we are a step behind because of them.
what is up to us? to leave? that makes zero sense if thats what you mean.
and if you mean its up to us to stop complaining and just be happy i say no.
like i said before, my complaints and most of the other peoples complaints are because WE WANT IT BETTER!!!!
not just us personally, i mean we as a company.
thats not whining or complaining, thats just be tired of seeing us shoot to a point in 07 or so, then pretty much just tread water since then. and dont say its just the economy, because if you remember when the economy was at its worst, we were busier than ever(you remember when our wages were frozen?)
as i said, i want the company to get better, not go away.

I still participate in this forum tho we retired 3 years ago. The reason I do is I know what a great company R&L was to work, and how far down it has gone. We retired for the same things i am still hearing about. shoddy equiptment, (we had 4 new tractors running team, in 10 yrs., the last year tho had probably 15 different peices of junk that kept breaking down. We ran great team routes, not 300 mile trips then sit at atlanta 8 hrs. watching abco and paramount trucks come in and take the good loads, the go to another place 300 miles away. If you have not been at R&L for 5 years or more you have no concept of what has been taken away from the drivers. It just grates to put so much into a company, see how great it had become, and then see it all almost destroyed. I think its a real testament to the drivers who stayed that the company is even still here, cause management sure hasnt done it.

It is puzzeling as to why senior has allowed this once EXCELLENT company to be destroyed. Anyone who worked here before Zimmerman showed up has to be in disbelief...R&L was the best LTL in the business, up until the fall of 2008, when the YRC crew came in, and destroyed the company.
I still participate in this forum tho we retired 3 years ago. The reason I do is I know what a great company R&L was to work, and how far down it has gone. We retired for the same things i am still hearing about. shoddy equiptment, (we had 4 new tractors running team, in 10 yrs., the last year tho had probably 15 different peices of junk that kept breaking down. We ran great team routes, not 300 mile trips then sit at atlanta 8 hrs. watching abco and paramount trucks come in and take the good loads, the go to another place 300 miles away. If you have not been at R&L for 5 years or more you have no concept of what has been taken away from the drivers. It just grates to put so much into a company, see how great it had become, and then see it all almost destroyed. I think its a real testament to the drivers who stayed that the company is even still here, cause management sure hasnt done it.

You are right, it is the rank and file that has kept this company afloat, not management. I always refer to the customers on my route as MY customers because I am the only person that they see as a representative on R/L. I am the one that listens to their issues with the company, give advice on logistical problems and guide them when they have haz-mat issues. When they open up their invoice every month, its my face they associate with it, not the TM or the salesman.

Your right management has nothing to do with gaining new customers, keeping customers, negotiating rates, handling claims, safety, customer service, billing, making sure we get paid and the employees get paid. You have to remember we all have a part in making this company run. Yes the drivers, dock, etc.. have a large part in this business but we could'nt do it without each other. I have been here longer than 5 years and I agree things have changed. For all of us.Not just drivers.

Your right management has nothing to do with gaining new customers, keeping customers, negotiating rates, handling claims, safety, customer service, billing, making sure we get paid and the employees get paid. You have to remember we all have a part in making this company run. Yes the drivers, dock, etc.. have a large part in this business but we could'nt do it without each other. I have been here longer than 5 years and I agree things have changed. For all of us.Not just drivers.

Well, in a way you outed yourself as either management or office. Not that it matters as this forum is for everyone but it does explain a lot in your attitude.

He is right though, at least in one area. Everyone helps the company move. At the end of the day, this is a private company. One person is calling the shots. He may have others advising him, but he knows what is going on and makes the final decision. We like to bash management because of what we deal with on a daily basis, but imagine it from their end as well. They need a paycheck as badly as anyone else, and they do what they are told by their boss. Definitely not saying that all of them are perfect, some do better with what they are given than others, but they can only do so much. If you don't have new equipment, it's not because of your TM. It's not because of his boss. It's because the owners don't want to buy it. Not enough hours going around? I doubt any manager wakes up saying "I want to see how many customers I can make mad today"...they are likely being told to get the hours down, or they'll find someone else that will do it.

You do have a valid point. I think the main rub is that management at the local level has not tried to show the troops where these decsions are being made. I think if everyone could see the big picture, alot of the pressure would be reduced. Sadly, many of the new managers are power hungry and really consider us rank and file as a necesary evil, not a key to the growth of the company. I will be the first to admit that i have a good TM, but I know that many others on this forum do not...

The other TM's are part of the problem for sure. Honestly, in my experience, anyone can be a good manager in good times. It's when the crap hits the fan that the bad ones start being really obvious. And that is a lot of the problem. We have guys that couldn't handle the last job they had at whatever company (it's not all YRC), and now they can't handle this job. A lot of these people got their years of experience before the recession when times were good. Lots of freight, lots of hours to keep everything moving. It was easy to look good. Now that they have to make decisions they don't know how to handle it. They make mistakes, which on their own aren't the problem, that's bound to happen. But instead of admitting it, it gets blamed on the drivers. Those are the guys that worry me. They do no wrong. I know some of you have managers just like that.

I'm shocked I took the time to sign up to this site....... Drivers make the deliveries, keep the equipment in tip top shape. See the customers daily... Hear the good and bad comments from customers... We filter what should be passed along to dispatch and SCM from them.. Hmmmm Its almost always just the bad stuff... We are the ones that want our stuff clean and safe. I just don't remember being forced to be here.... I love my check each week.. Enjoy doing P&D and line haul..

Yup it ain't all roses.. But if its as bad as some make it out to be... Move on... Your prolly the ones leaving food wrappers in trucks, drawing on trailer walls, not post tripping trailers cuz you think they are "junk".. Taking a dolly with a bad line and just placing it back in the row instead of infront of shop to get it fixed...

Nope trucks ain't that powerful.. But it brings me home.. Radio works.. So does heat and ac.... All the lights work... Make sure of it every night..

Man is it really THAT bad? I mean you come in, get bills, go out, hook up... Make deliveries, ride around listen to jukebox have a coffee, do a bunch of pickups.. See customers break chops yak it up.. Come back and go home..... I even heard.... If you wanna leave... You can leave....... You have a country run one day ride around enjoy the view.. City run next, no kidding lil change of pace... I mean.. This is work right? Whos just going to "give" us money..... Yeah this is the only big place I've worked... And I've been here for quite a stretch... But some days... fellas some days its down right fun to be out doing P&D...

Yeah I'll tell ya... I really don't like shutting my ride down every stop... Or when it's in the shop cuz the starter went bad....... AGAIN.. maybe its cuz I'm starting it 40 times a day? But if company says shut it down.. Hey they pay my bills.... They keep my heat on, food on my kids plates, shoes on there feet, roof over my head.. Maybe I'm a sucker.. Or just easy going... I don't agree with every rule.... But at some point you gotta find peace in what you do....

Guys try and find something good about the place you go every morning / night.. Your there (I am anyhow) more than your home.... Might as well like it or go find something you enjoy..

Why is it that anytime a concern is brought up about this company we are told that if we dont like it move on?

Maybe cuz some of us are just tired of listing to every "lil" problem be blown out of control.. Tired of listening to people at the dispatch door ***** and moan to the router and dispatcher.. Damn kids.. Its a job.. Why do I need to hear what a lil baby some people are when I'm trying to get it and go for the day? Should I move on cuz I don't wanna listen to a few lil brats complain about there runs instead of just going out and doing them?

How many have heard "I'm going to quit" ----- I'm normally the one in line waiting for my bills going "Please do"

Im not talking about every" little" problem, Iam talking about missed pick ups and not enough personel to service our customers. Running non-stop with no breaks. Suggestions for Dispatch to help him with getting everything done. Thats not being a brat, thats being concerned with the continued success of the company. Ive been here since '99 and the shift from customer service to the almighty dollar has some of our long time accounts scratching their heads. This is not the first Big Company that I have worked for, Thats why I am here and I have every right to voice my concerns about this company. I dont want R/L to turn into another bottom feeder company. Now I have to go, my bottle is ready...;)

Maybe cuz some of us are just tired of listing to every "lil" problem be blown out of control.. Tired of listening to people at the dispatch door ***** and moan to the router and dispatcher.. Damn kids.. Its a job.. Why do I need to hear what a lil baby some people are when I'm trying to get it and go for the day? Should I move on cuz I don't wanna listen to a few lil brats complain about there runs instead of just going out and doing them?

How many have heard "I'm going to quit" ----- I'm normally the one in line waiting for my bills going "Please do"
brats? ok pop
heres one back at ya- if its that bad here, dont come back.
you see because when i gota problem with something at r&l i voice my complaints here. i dont get mad at them and do stuff to purposely screw the company, i just voice my complaint and do my job. which is what 95% of us who post here do. i dont need you to tell me about this company, ive been here a long time, and am one of the reasons its succesful(along with the other guys and gals) in fact id be willing to put my numbers (which btw is all that matters anymore) against yours or anyone elses for that matter.
nobody on this site is calling for drivers to slow down or do anything to hurt r&l so either deal with what is said here, or move on

I'm shocked I took the time to sign up to this site....... Drivers make the deliveries, keep the equipment in tip top shape. See the customers daily... Hear the good and bad comments from customers... We filter what should be passed along to dispatch and SCM from them.. Hmmmm Its almost always just the bad stuff... We are the ones that want our stuff clean and safe. I just don't remember being forced to be here.... I love my check each week.. Enjoy doing P&D and line haul..

Yup it ain't all roses.. But if its as bad as some make it out to be... Move on... Your prolly the ones leaving food wrappers in trucks, drawing on trailer walls, not post tripping trailers cuz you think they are "junk".. Taking a dolly with a bad line and just placing it back in the row instead of infront of shop to get it fixed...

Nope trucks ain't that powerful.. But it brings me home.. Radio works.. So does heat and ac.... All the lights work... Make sure of it every night..

Man is it really THAT bad? I mean you come in, get bills, go out, hook up... Make deliveries, ride around listen to jukebox have a coffee, do a bunch of pickups.. See customers break chops yak it up.. Come back and go home..... I even heard.... If you wanna leave... You can leave....... You have a country run one day ride around enjoy the view.. City run next, no kidding lil change of pace... I mean.. This is work right? Whos just going to "give" us money..... Yeah this is the only big place I've worked... And I've been here for quite a stretch... But some days... fellas some days its down right fun to be out doing P&D...

Yeah I'll tell ya... I really don't like shutting my ride down every stop... Or when it's in the shop cuz the starter went bad....... AGAIN.. maybe its cuz I'm starting it 40 times a day? But if company says shut it down.. Hey they pay my bills.... They keep my heat on, food on my kids plates, shoes on there feet, roof over my head.. Maybe I'm a sucker.. Or just easy going... I don't agree with every rule.... But at some point you gotta find peace in what you do....

Guys try and find something good about the place you go every morning / night.. Your there (I am anyhow) more than your home.... Might as well like it or go find something you enjoy..

If you are so shocked that you took the time to sign up then I suggest you take the time and leave. You do not have to be here, and if you do not like what we have to say then move on. We all want this company to succeed because they do pay my bills and feed my family. But we all feel that if we continue with the path that we are going we may not have a good job here anymore. Your notion of "just shut up and do your job" is kind of self-destructive. We care about this company and want it to thrive; this is why we voice our opinions so that maybe we can better our company. Now if you would like to walk around with your blinders on and not care at all about problems at this company then go right ahead, but do not be pissed if it bites you in the ass because you have the "follow the leader mentality". If we are going off a cliff I am going to say something and not just jump with everyone else.

Well lets see how bad we have it at our barn... We go out full... Come back full... Don't miss our pickups... Service is 98.7 % No one is really killing themselves.. We all are green / green in our numbers.. Yet some of us have to listen to lil kids cry cuz they don't have "their" run or "their" truck... I think truck I drive says R&L on it? And I think the DR's I get in the morning say R&L on them? Not sure what the griping is for?

Oh and shadowr... Nice message you sent... As you explained if I shut my mouth I can stay however if I voice my mind I wont be allowed? Sounds like your running a bash R&L site to me?