Yellow | Efficiency Engineers

Animo916

TB Veteran
Credits
Is it just me? Am I crazy? Or what?

These so called efficiency engineers with their college degrees and computer savvy, never touched a piece of freight in their lives, let alone drove a truck, are they really smarter than "Joe" Truck Driver?

Today we had 2 roadmen come into my barn from the same origin. One pulling a long box and the other pulling a set of pups. Their dispatch out of my barn was back to their barn. The only thing crazy is they made the driver with the long box, take back a set of pups, and wouldn't you know it, the driver that came in with a set, was taking back a long box. Now, mind you, the switcher then had to convert both tractors and get the drivers hooked. I think they each waited about an hour or so. Now, wouldn't it have been simpler, and cheaper for the company to switch the load assignments, instead of wasting all that time, money, and productivity because an engineer made a computer program for dispatching and this was the computer's decision? It just seems to me that no amount of book smarts will ever equal common sense and job experience.

Efficiency engineers......a new oxymoron that I'll have to live with.:holysheep:

Do you work at a big barn and if so why wouldn't they have a tractor or 2 already jiffed up? I see your point and you're right that makes no good sense at all. As far as the guy who pulled the set home I would think they could have assembled him fairly quick.

It doesn't really mater how big my terminal is, we don't have enough room for what we have. The bottom line is, one came in jiffed the other didn't. Then the switcher told me he had a problem with the jifs on both tractors thus compounding the issue. The main point I'm making is that one driver was jiffed up already and they made him convert for pups, the other wasn't jiffed and they made him convert also for a long box. The simple solution and time saving decission would have been to change load assignments and let the jiffed up tractor go back out the way it came in and the ditto for the driver that came in with the pups.

Animo916 said:
It doesn't really mater how big my terminal is, we don't have enough room for what we have. The bottom line is, one came in jiffed the other didn't. Then the switcher told me he had a problem with the jifs on both tractors thus compounding the issue. The main point I'm making is that one driver was jiffed up already and they made him convert for pups, the other wasn't jiffed and they made him convert also for a long box. The simple solution and time saving decission would have been to change load assignments and let the jiffed up tractor go back out the way it came in and the ditto for the driver that came in with the pups.

Root Access said:
I see your point and you're right that makes no good sense at all.

I agree with you.

I know exactly what you mean, Animo......sometimes that degree gets in the way of common sense. That's when we as highly paid workers need to say, "Now wait just a damn minute here". :realmad: My favorite saying is........."Don't worry, I do this for a living"!! DS.

That has happened to me also Animo. Me and another driver can just arrive and be standing there for our next trip. And guess what? How ever our tractors was set up the would give up the opposite to hook back up on our next trip. What me and the driver would do when we got outside is switch the work assignments LOL and they never know at all...

Root Access said:
Do you work at a big barn and if so why wouldn't they have a tractor or 2 already jiffed up? I see your point and you're right that makes no good sense at all. As far as the guy who pulled the set home I would think they could have assembled him fairly quick.
Root I am not sure if you have ever seen a Roadway Driver JiffLok up for a big box or break the Jifflok off to pull pups. But it is time consuming. Really trust me... unless you have seen it I could not explain it here in text for anyone to understand at all. Roadway has been in a world by them selves on this.

Toxic said:
Root I am not sure if you have ever seen a Roadway Driver JiffLok up for a big box or break the Jifflok off to pull pups. But it is time consuming. Really trust me... unless you have seen it I could not explain it here in text for anyone to understand at all. Roadway has been in a world by them selves on this.

Toxic no need to explain it I have done it several times at the rail yard and dark terminals. Yes I know it's time consuming and a great way to get your clothes greasy.

thrown them right away

Root Access said:
Toxic no need to explain it I have done it several times at the rail yard and dark terminals. Yes I know it's time consuming and a great way to get your clothes greasy.
Yeah I know I have ruined several shirts and paints in my career.

Jiff lox

I guess that's the great thing about running a twin screw all the time. No B.S. when you get to a relay other than sliding the 5th wheel forward or backwards, depending on what they give us to hook to. We do listen to a lot of pissing and moaning from the dispatchers especially at 231 about shorting equipment when we bring in a long box and pull a set out, but guess what, tomorrow I'll take a set in and get a long box back. The way I see it is no harm no foul.

Toxic said:
Yeah I know I have ruined several shirts and paints in my career.
Yea the knees!!:shock: :tongue1: The twin screws can be a good and bad thing. Yes you can hook to both vans and pups, but remember there are switchers that get paid to move those 5th wheels. Now you don't have to move them, the hooking is done with less men. Just a thought. DS.

Old rant

1st rant;
Nevermind which company but how many times have you sat with your fellow drivers and heard wonderful, well thought out, productive ideas? Many times over and over. IPI was a great idea that upper management turned in to a joke as far as I could see. (My view is limited to my own experience). When Harwood C. owned Big O one of the principals he went by was that there were 2 customers, the external, and the internal one. If you were to have a well run company you had to take care of both. He did it well but it is the only company I have experienced it. When Big O was sold in the "80s the blue collar employee was forgotten and hence many of us left.
2nd rant; :ranting2:
I went to the motel in St. Louis the other day with another driver. He was an old timer, not sure how long he had been at Big R but he kept talking about how much he hated Big R and the ways he knew to screw them. We've all ran into this type and I felt bad for him to be so angry (maybe justifiably, I don't know) but I don't understand it. I love Roadway and my job. And yes there are many headaches but it's part of the job. Because a dispatcher or someone gives me a bad time I don't blame Big R for that, just the individual.

Not sure where I was going with all that but I feel better. :smile1:

no last names please

Whew.....I'm glad you got that off your chest!! Hey Riobard, I know how you feel. I agree that if IA or EEFB, etc. is used to help management understand their workforce and cut the red tape to get a job completed it's good for everyone. But the way it turned out......it was mostly BS and turned several workers against each other. One example of a EEFB Summit, after classes RDWY would buy adult beverages and turn the Teamsters loose. That's fine and dandy, it got everyone loosened up and some good conversations between supervisor and worker took place. Then I noticed our terminal managers secretary with a camcorder taping it!! Now to me that's just wrong!! No telling where that tape ended up, but I would guess AGO. ANYWAY.....my point, like yours, was it never reached it's full potential. Now the guys that hate RDWY. You will find that everywhere you work, and It's a well known fact that back in the day RDWY was very hard on their workforce and some guys got the stinky end of the stick more than others and never forgot it. I have worked with several guys that got hired as good workers and the way they were treated turned them into a "less than desireable" employee. Now I feel better!!:watsup: DS.

There's an old sying that goes: A boss Can't change a bad worker into a good worker, but he can certainly change a good worker into a bad worker!

I was on the IPI (I SPY) council when it 1st started. There was me, 2 union stewards, 1 hard charger, and 1 good union man. It worked great for about a year, when acording to the rules we were supposed to rotate new guys in to get varied ways of doing stuff. I used to pull into district terminals and raise hell about lights out in the yard, ice in the lot, etc., and everything got taken care of. I had terminal managers begging me not to report them to AGO. Then the new guys got in, all company men (suckups looking for a good tractor and a long run). I came down the ice and snow covered stairs at 235 one night (always clean when the 1st guys were on the council) and did a double reverse gainer landing on my back and hip at the bottom of the stairs, could hardly move, didn't know if I broke anything. Took me an hour to get back in the tractor and make a call. The bassturds axed me if I got the set put away and what my numbers were to come home. Told them I was bobtailing to home and was going home when I got there. A couple of days later I saw one of the new "I SPY" guys and told him about the problem at 235, axed him if he would call 235 TM about the problem, he said he was going to council me and instruct me how to walk on ice covered stairs............Only took 3 guys to keep me from killing him............Long story long, it was a good idea until money and safety got in the way. Just remember "Safety's great, as long as it doesn't delay the freight":afro2:

Waste of Time

Wow BigR......I think the IPI&AI stuff at our barn started the way yours ended up. I never went to A&I.. I just suffered at work with the rest of us when they went to it. I have went to a few IPI meetings. What a waist of time. I can say I witnessed this for my self. All kinda issues and problems solved in the meeting but after it was adjourned nothing happened or changed. It was all a show as far as I am concerned. For the part that I was involved.

I might have missed it if someone mentioned it, but pups pay better than a longbox....maybe the guy who pulled the longbox in took his pick and picked pups, which would be fair. I know I really don't like longboxes. I'm alot more used to pulling pups.

YO....

if i would have been dispatching them, i would have slipseated them....

nobody gets paid.....

you guys really don't want to get management too smart do you??????

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

TheBigR said:
I was on the IPI (I SPY) council when it 1st started. There was me, 2 union stewards, 1 hard charger, and 1 good union man. It worked great for about a year, when acording to the rules we were supposed to rotate new guys in to get varied ways of doing stuff. I used to pull into district terminals and raise hell about lights out in the yard, ice in the lot, etc., and everything got taken care of. I had terminal managers begging me not to report them to AGO. Then the new guys got in, all company men (suckups looking for a good tractor and a long run). I came down the ice and snow covered stairs at 235 one night (always clean when the 1st guys were on the council) and did a double reverse gainer landing on my back and hip at the bottom of the stairs, could hardly move, didn't know if I broke anything. Took me an hour to get back in the tractor and make a call. The bassturds axed me if I got the set put away and what my numbers were to come home. Told them I was bobtailing to home and was going home when I got there. A couple of days later I saw one of the new "I SPY" guys and told him about the problem at 235, axed him if he would call 235 TM about the problem, he said he was going to council me and instruct me how to walk on ice covered stairs............Only took 3 guys to keep me from killing him............Long story long, it was a good idea until money and safety got in the way. Just remember "Safety's great, as long as it doesn't delay the freight":afro2:
BigR I would like to know how you even got on the councel? I went through two different terminals and four different Tm's and always the guys were hand picked.:mfight: Ya I was never elected, go figure:eck13: