Yellow | Efficiency Engineers

wolf said:
BigR I would like to know how you even got on the councel? I went through two different terminals and four different Tm's and always the guys were hand picked.:mfight: Ya I was never elected, go figure:eck13:
When it was new the TM thought enough to ask the 2 stewards for input. They talked to a few of us and we said what the heck, give it a try. Didn't take em long to figure out that we were serious about safety issues and it was gonna cost them some money. That was the end of good union guys on the committee. TM hand picked his azz kissers after that and that was the of end of that story.:censored2:

yo....

the only successful way to communicate ideas to the company is to intimidate them....

i was at a 'smith system' saftey briefing and i asked the guy about a dozen pup related questions that 'smith system' has no clue about.....

after about the third or fouth one the guy thought i was messing with him instead of trying to understand that there's a difference between pup and long box driving....

could you imagine how much better the safety departments would be if they recognized that the people they contract safety education aint up to speed on equipment we use the most?????

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ps; do we really want management to be smarter than we are (i had a dispatcher 30 years ago that was smarter than me and he made my life hell for about 6 months until i learned his tricks)........

blame it all on the National Service Team. those people don't have a clue sometimes. Not sure if they have a map up there or not. they tell the coordinators what to run , when to run it , how many bids to post, in short they are micro-managing. what happened to "letting those closest to the task, make the decisions" ?

ace wheel cat said:
blame it all on the National Service Team. those people don't have a clue sometimes. Not sure if they have a map up there or not. they tell the coordinators what to run , when to run it , how many bids to post, in short they are micro-managing. what happened to "letting those closest to the task, make the decisions" ?
Hey ace.........help me out with this one. What is the National Service Team?? Is that what some of the other guys were talking about..........Central Dispatch?? After a driver leaves his domicile he is controlled by NST?!? I remember someone saying something about them. DS.

Dock Steward, yeah I guess it is. they tell the coordinators many times what to do.
They will call down from Akron, I guess, and say "get those 241 drivers out of the motel and send them to 705 on a turn." Then many times dispatch does what they say, even if it violates the contract, i.e. runaround.
just let me give you a personal example :
I was dispatched to Florence Sc. on a turn from Atl. I took with me a Florence Sc. load AND A Ft. Worth Tx load.
I asked the coordinator to tell me WHY I was taking a Tx. load to Florence, she said she didn't know ,just that the N.S.T. said to because they didn't want someone running empty out of Florence.
I asked her how running 20,000 # of freight 600 miles (300 over, 300 back), in the wrong direction was cheaper than running empty. She didn't know , just go.
I got to Florence, asked if they were delivering Tx. freight, of course no was the answer. Term mgr. said he had 1 Atl. load. I asked if he wanted me to hook it w/ the Tx load and go back,,,"let me call the N.S.T 1st"
Wouldn't you know it they said "leave the Tx. load in Florence"
The next day I went back to Florence to get the Tx. load. It was back in Atl. about 36 hrs. after it left.
It was supposed to go to Florence ALABAMA !
That's why these terms. have #'s assigned to them.
ALL HAIL THE N.S.T.:notworthy: ,

ace wheel cat said:
That's why these terms. have #'s assigned to them.
ALL HAIL THE N.S.T.:notworthy: ,
Hey ace...........that story is both funny and sad. Seems that us workers do know a little something about the freight business. There are so many "work rules" in place in different regions, they can't know them all. All I can say, if they screw up, put the paper work on them. AGO needs to know about sending all that freight the wrong way, If a driver pulled it by accident he would get a warning letter!! DS.

All I wish would happen is that drivers-switchers would learn to put the 5th wheel in the proper place when pulling 53s it is to be on the trac, frame all the way not just all pins in with one hole off the fram.that is wrong.that was set up 20 years ago for the port.i havn't see a trailor that needed that set up on 14 yers yet people keep doing it wrong.this set up breaks the rollers off the 5 wheels, also breakes the drivers back with the ruff ruff ride.also takes to much weight off the steering this could cause hydroplaneing,and braking proplems with all the weight on the jiff.and not the drives

its all about numbers

central dispatch doesn't deal directly with drivers and could care less as long as their numbers look good.
so a little bump in the road shows up as a blip on their screen but in the end it hurts the drivers and the company in the long run. bid and extra board at a lot of terminals are not getting enough work and drivers are asking to be extended thus complicating the matter.
morale is probably at an all time low accident rates are up. a few old roadway hands at the top still need replaced. but instead they got a promotion. i guess this must be good business practice. so keep up the posting maybe someone will listen at yrcw

axlethedriver said:
morale is probably at an all time low accident rates are up. a few old roadway hands at the top still need replaced. but instead they got a promotion. i guess this must be good business practice. so keep up the posting maybe someone will listen at yrcw

Keeping morale low and dissent high is exactly what corporate wants. It makes them feel like they have total control over us. When corporate finally realizes that no matter how much they screw with us, we are really the ones in control because ultimately, they cannot screw the man behind the wheel. Think about it......

gopher said:
All I wish would happen is that drivers-switchers would learn to put the 5th wheel in the proper place when pulling 53s it is to be on the trac, frame all the way not just all pins in with one hole off the frame
Thanks gopher, it's funny you should say that. The other night I was hooking a van. There was a "big truck" already in the power pit, so when I did my once over I noticed my 5th wheel was set up like you were talking about. I don't know what they were pulling when it came in....but It didn't go out that way. DS.

Animo916 said:
Keeping morale low and dissent high is exactly what corporate wants. It makes them feel like they have total control over us. When corporate finally realizes that no matter how much they screw with us, we are really the ones in control because ultimately, they cannot screw the man behind the wheel. Think about it......
Yep, I agree brother!! Hey Animo.........you wearing your winter coat yet or are you still working in a shirt?? You can't mess with them tough NY City guys!! :bananalama: DS.

Animo916 said:

Hmm Someone just told me that quote the other day!