Averitt | Eight Dollar Solution

RickyRicardo

TB Regular
Credits
It doesn't take an expert in thermodynamics to know that hot air rises, hence the problem with the APU AC vents mounted almost on the floor of the Cascadia.

I was driving an '04 Volvo when we first started having the APUs installed. In those trucks the AC air ducts were routed directly into the factory sleeper vents and it was quite comfortable. Not so anymore.

Sitting in the drivers seat it will chill one's right arm and lower legs, but not much help when lying on the bed, especially in the heat of the day when a bank of heat hangs about waist level everywhere forward of the vents and behind the vents(where the bed is) it's just plain hot.

I bought a five foot length of 4" diameter dryer duct which works just fine to route the cold air back into the bunk. Installation was simple and requires no tools, clamps or tape. And it can be easily removed when not needed.

2012-05-20110928.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea will have to try that. It's even worst in an International the air duct is recessed more than 2 feet under the bed...

I made a similar device using 3" Plumbing pipe....when the parts changers put the USED APU on my Cascadia, they installed the controller level with the bunk, instead of adding some wire to put it about 2ft higher up. On my Ole Pete I plumbed the air into the trucks system. The current setup does nothing for you especially during the heat of the day in FL,Ga,SC,TX,MS,LA,and AL. It also would be better if AVRT would start buying MID ROOF sleepers, the current trucks upper levels are like FURNACES during the day time!

Good idea will have to try that. It's even worst in an International the air duct is recessed more than 2 feet under the bed...

It also makes the cubbyhole space useless because you can't store anything without blocking the vents.
I met a guy who had a case of bottled water down there in the winter. The first time he used the heater, it started melting the bottles and he had a big mess.
That was his fault, but we all make mistakes.

Then he showed me how 95% of the space in the side box was taken with HVAC hardware. No wonder he was looking for someplace to store the water.

Another reason, I like my Cascadia!

I actually like mine, also, with the exception of the small fuel tanks(100 per side) on the 2012 model. Have the DEF, but that's not that big of a nusiance.

Last week I drove a loaner Cascadia while mine was being serviced and it had larger fuel tanks and no DEF. The extra 40 gallons eliminated a fuel stop I normally would have made. Didn't check the year model but it must have been the batch before mine with 184k on it.

I was tempted to ask for it but decided to stick with what I have. It has been trouble free and I don't want to rock the boat.

I have 135xx,no def,2x120,old style ISX....looks like this will be my last truck, got it OCT 11, not lookin for a new one, especially if it's one of those VOLVO'S. If she holds together until trade in, we both will retire at the same time.

I have 135xx,no def,2x120,old style ISX....looks like this will be my last truck, got it OCT 11, not lookin for a new one, especially if it's one of those VOLVO'S. If she holds together until trade in, we both will retire at the same time.
That was it, 13500 to be exact.
Got 137xx new 9-1-11. I won't be able to retire with it unless they keep it 7 years.
New Volvos on the lot in NAS. Glad I missed them.

I had a choice between a ProStar or the Cascadia....The ProStar is heavier than the Pete ,so I settled for the Cascadia,I don't regret it!

I had a choice between a ProStar or the Cascadia....The ProStar is heavier than the Pete ,so I settled for the Cascadia,I don't regret it!

Wise choice. I used a Prostar loaner for last PM and although it appears roomy enough, there are a few things with the layout I didn't agree with. Like slamming my shoulder into the overhead console when rising from the drivers seat since it has such an absurd overhang.

Way too many controls are placed on the steering wheel. I turned off my headlights a few times while attempting to adjust the cruise and do the radio controls really need to be there too?

The top bunk is in a permanent down position and there is a giant, awkard, climbing step mounted on the floor directly in front of an open storage area where a big Igloo would otherwise fit.

The upside was somebody made an omission when they set the speed. It would run 66 with the pedal, but bump the accel button and it would run out of numbers. I didn't abuse it much, but it was nice to be able to set the cruise on the actual 70 MPH speed limit. But sooner or later they will catch it.

You know where you have your cooler.....if you trim that bottom piece of plastic off...you can put a Power Chill upright cooler in there and open the door normally....the cooler rides there upright just fine....that bottom lip serves no purpose,,,just use a hacksaw blade and cut right down the crease.

You know where you have your cooler.....if you trim that bottom piece of plastic off...you can put a Power Chill upright cooler in there and open the door normally....the cooler rides there upright just fine....that bottom lip serves no purpose,,,just use a hacksaw blade and cut right down the crease.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I have a Dremmel, which is good for little jobs like that.

I didn't abuse it much, but it was nice to be able to set the cruise on the actual 70 MPH speed limit. But sooner or later they will catch it.

You can count on it. They nailed me in a daycab.

Remember, your employer is going green! (Even though nobody knows what the hell going green is but to make themselves feel really important and environmentally conscience, they blow the "We're Going Green" horn. Sickening.

After reading through this thread I guess it would do good to complain about my 2006 Columbia daycab outfitted with no idle (and no way to make it idle that I have found), beautiful pink fiberglass outside with rusty/dirty rims all the way around with only 430k miles. it will never hold together til a million and if it does, I hope I'm not the one racking up the million miles.

When I was in t/l I also used the dryer duct, it works great, it allows you to point the flow of air in any direction, such as when in the sleeper or when sitting in the driver's seat..... Another thing I did was take out that drawer in the sleeper, doing so allowed me enough room to get a corner of my fridge. Doing so allowed me to have a fridge/freezer, microwave and a 22in flatscreen. It made life on the road a little more tolerable.