ABF | Electric Macks

I think we all need to be reminded that every job is essential to moving freight. Without P&D drivers, yard & dock workers the trailers would be empty & you know how long a company can survive pulling loads of fence post holes. The clerks & office staff are necessary to process the bills, without them there would be no billing. I have heard workers complain about how easy others jobs are. If there were no maintenance employees the fleet would soon be on the side of the road withsafety violations & breakdowns. I know of a once successful trucking company that almost went out of business because the daughter of the founder took control with no common business sense. She promptly fired almost all of the maintenance department. She said she was not in the truck garage business. It took only a short time till rigs were broken down & tied up for safety violations. The company was sold for a fraction of the worth when she took over. It took quite a while for cusotmers to come back & some never did.
The mechanics were very essential to me.
I seldom left the yard without a shop visit to drink coffee, bum a roll of masking tape, or just BS with the guys.
It paid dividends, in the winter, I could come to work and find my tractor running on the ready line with the heater on.
I kept the guys supplied with grapefruit and oranges when in season.

The mechanics were very essential to me.
I seldom left the yard without a shop visit to drink coffee, bum a roll of masking tape, or just BS with the guys.
It paid dividends, in the winter, I could come to work and find my tractor running on the ready line with the heater on.
I kept the guys supplied with grapefruit and oranges when in season.
We all depend on each other in the freight industry. Every job is essential & nobody should trash another. If mechanics actually did nothing the equipment would not stay in service. If the city P&D & dock did nothing the trailers would be empty. I believe as a Teamster I am bound to give a day's work for a day's pay. I agreed to the contract. I expect the company to uphold their side of the agreement & I can be expected to do the same. We have the grievance process to address the company's shortcoming when the contract is violated & I have used that process numerous times.
I was fortunate to stay awith the same LTL company at the same location for almost forty years. Many Teamster brothers & sisters had to work at two or more companies to secure their pension.