Averitt | Electronic Logging

jeepman

Truckload Mercenary
Credits
As of the begining of the month, we drivers with the MCP200 qualcomms have started Electronic Logging. Until the 1st of August, we still make up a paper log, in case we screw something up. My thoughts as of right now, I love them. It is not ROCKET SCIENCE to fiquire out how to use them. Just log as you normally do, of course you can't cheat,back your logs up and the like. Sooo the GOOD OLE BOYS who have been doing this in the past YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TROUBLE! The system logs you right down to the minute, that you drive, sleeper berth, on duty and off duty. I would have no problem running out to TX or up to IL,WI, MI and back to FL , not having to worry about burning up my 70. This system is for me, as I ran 99 44/100 legal anyways, the people in CKV are going to need to work a little harder to ensure the drivers still get some decent miles. With the builtin GPS system we know exactly how far it is to our destination. So CKV, your FAIRYTALE dispatches and miles ain't gettin it any more!:shift:

I say bring it. Wish we had it as well. I am so sick of filling out a log book and entering the same info over and over and over again, day after day after day.

Until AE replaces all of their daycabs, we won't have the new and improved qualcomms. Those are reserved for all of the new bedroom trucks that are all over the place. How many bedroom trucks have 850k on them? None.

So LTL division is several years away from electronic logs because that is how long it will be before the fleet is converted from old/tired/worn out trucks to new iron like the preferred drivers (team/T/L) drivers get. Just a fact jack.

Until AE replaces all of their daycabs, we won't have the new and improved qualcomms. Those are reserved for all of the new bedroom trucks that are all over the place. How many bedroom trucks have 850k on them? None.

They took my Pete with 750k on the clock after doing thousands of dollars worth of upgrades. My fuel mileage was consistently over 7mpg, equal or better than most new trucks. What was the wisdom in that?
If I had just spent a ton of money on my own vehicle, I would keep it a while longer. The strategy should be to sell it before spending money on it, not after.
Now I have an identical truck with 80k less miles on it. Even nicer than the other one. I figure 8-10 months before it's history.

Last edited by a moderator:
They took my Pete with 750k on the clock after doing thousands of dollars worth of upgrades. My fuel mileage was consistently over 7mpg, equal or better than most new trucks. What was the wisdom in that?
If I had just spent a ton of money on my own vehicle, I would keep it a while longer. The stragegy should be to sell it before spending money on it, not after.
Now I have an identical truck with 80k less miles on it. Even nicer than the other one. I figure 8-10 months before it's history.
The new and improved plan out of the nerve center is that daycabs go to a million while bedroom trucks go to 750k.

At the rate I am going, my truck will have a million on it by this time next year.

The new and improved plan out of the nerve center is that daycabs go to a million while bedroom trucks go to 750k.

At the rate I am going, my truck will have a million on it by this time next year.

My SVC has replaced the two oldest daycabs with rental units from Ryder, paying a monthly lease rate while they sit a fourth of the month.

I wonder what our SAFETY dept is going to say when they see my electronic logs for this past THURSDAY!!!! Did a FUL-MIA LTL, according to the LTL dispatch paperwork, is 693 miles and takes 11.75 hrs. I left FUL at 0915, pulled into MIA at 2030, 653 miles...10hours and 22 minutes of driving time. Ran the FLA Turnpike all the way from I75 in Wildwood FL...Not bad in a 65mph truck and logging legal. Again did something they said can't be done!!!:smilie93C_peelout:.....:shift:
693 paid
653 actual

I wonder what our SAFETY dept is going to say when they see my electronic logs for this past THURSDAY!!!! Did a FUL-MIA LTL, according to the LTL dispatch paperwork, is 693 miles and takes 11.75 hrs. I left FUL at 0915, pulled into MIA at 2030, 653 miles...10hours and 22 minutes of driving time. Ran the FLA Turnpike all the way from I75 in Wildwood FL...Not bad in a 65mph truck and logging legal. Again did something they said can't be done!!!
693 paid
653 actual

Paid miles will fast become actual miles once central gets this they'll change it. :duh: We have a MFS to MOB most every night, myself and a friend here can cut 1 and a half hours off that run and central still can't figure that route out, so we're not telling central how we're doing it just yet.

I can see only one draw back to electronic logs is, runs will be cut shorter (less miles) and more drops and the need for more drivers.

The 693 paid is based on running down I75 to SR 80 near Ft Myers, then over to US27 south to I75, and SR84 over to AVRT MIA. AVRT does'nt like paying for tolls past ORL, since I have a SUNPASS, I figuired I would try it just to see how it worked out. There are times when FRT going to MIA just has to be there on time. All the LTL's are running the Fl turnpike now, saves time and money. Alot of them are pulling double 48's and a few double 53's.

The 693 paid is based on running down I75 to SR 80 near Ft Myers, then over to US27 south to I75, and SR84 over to AVRT MIA. AVRT does'nt like paying for tolls past ORL, since I have a SUNPASS, I figuired I would try it just to see how it worked out. There are times when FRT going to MIA just has to be there on time. All the LTL's are running the Fl turnpike now, saves time and money. Alot of them are pulling double 48's and a few double 53's.

Being out of MFS I don't get to FL much but when I do I don't take the turnpikes I either stay on the interstate or take the back roads. I hate toll roads where I have to pay tolls, it takes a few week for pay roll to reimburse the $$$.

jeepman, you have been around AE long enough to know that the kindergarten operators of this company can do some idiotic, nonsensical things. I spent and entire weekend making a matrix to send to Central Dispatch to show them how there computer system was in dire need of updating. I am confident that it ended up in the garbage, where most all suggestions find themselves...doesn't fit their agenda. They simply don't give a damn.

More and more Slpr Shuttles have Sunpasses on them for that very reason, at least those that run FL alot. Next time you see a X53XXX TRL , Take a walk behind it and tell me what you see.

More and more Slpr Shuttles have Sunpasses on them for that very reason, aleast those that run FL alot. Next time you see a X53XXX TRL , Take a walk behind it and tell me what you see.
I pull 53 series all the time. I'll keep my eyes open.

jeepman, you have been around AE long enough to know that the kindergarten operators of this company can do some idiotic, nonsensical things. I spent and entire weekend making a matrix to send to Central Dispatch to show them how there computer system was in dire need of updating. I am confident that it ended up in the garbage, where most all suggestions find themselves...doesn't fit their agenda. They simply don't give a damn.
I cannot for the life of me figuire out why we have 2 complete different computer systems One for T/L and one for LTL. We all know that CKV is ALL KNOWING and we as drivers know nothing. BTW saw quite a few of the New single axe day cabs at FUL this week, along with a destroyed T/L trl and smashed up reefer unit.

They have the same setup as a pups. X53
Your right...the 1st time I saw one of those x53 trls, I thought what's up with this? Then I see FEDEX, WILSON,ABF and others pulling twin 48's and 53's up and down the Fl Turnpike. It's got me thinking ..(which is dangerous in it's self) Is CKV thinking about doing the same thing in the future? ORL-WPB-MIA and back, The 1st service plaza on the pike and other locations have special areas for putting together/breaking apart LCV's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right...the 1st time I saw one of those x53 trls, I thought what's up with this? Then I see FEDEX, WILSON,ABF and others pulling twin 48's and 53's up and down the Fl Turnpike.

Tulsa OK has a set of those x53 trls they use on the Oklahoma turnpike, so it's done here also. As far a dangerous I'd rather pull those in FL than the ones in OK especially in the winter time. I've pulled doubles in the snow and ice before I came to Averitt, it can get a little hairy.

Tell us briefly what improvements need to be made on our computers, just curious.
How about being able to talk to each other.....When I get assigned to pull a LTL out of say...CLT scheduled for 1030 depart.....why can't central send me a short msg alerting me that my load is ready or it's not going to make. Many times the load is ready early say 5-10hrs, I can get going and use my hrs effectivly. My FUL-MIA this week was scheduled for 0830-0930 Thursday morning...it was ready at 2130 Weds nite...I had 10 hrs of drive time Weds nite. I could have got the frt going down the road. I know that a lot of Single sleepers are bouncing out of Fl and other locations empty, what's wrong with them hooking onto a loaded T/L load thats needs to go to a serctr close to it's delivery and dropping it off, rather than bouncing a T/L truck 200-300 miles to pick it up. With electronic logging, there are no longer any gray areas, no more funny business with logs, we need to use ALL of our resources(people&power) to move frieght effciently. Hence my remarks about the computers...we need to interface better!:shift:

That's a good point Jeepman, Lifer what are you thinking? My Qualcomm works right 99.95% of the time, prolly haven't called Central twice this year.