Holland | Emergency question

cdlguy

Credits
Anyone know the answer. Co-worker of mine was recalled to Indy Holland last week, he signed LOA papers, & today just got a letter from Holland denying the LOA. He's not working in a competing business, the union has already verified that driving gas tankers qualifies for a LOA. Any ideas?

I talked to him a couple of days ago. But that was before he got this denial letter. He need to get to the hall and make them make a call or two. Holland has no basis to deny a LOA. TankerS are in NO way competition for Holland.
Did the letter say it was because of the competition thing?

Apparently, the day he had the LOA letter signed, the shop steward did not go in with him, & the letter was signed by someone in the office (I think her name is Heidi?), and not the TM. So your District manager (Rick?) has denied it. Our BA over at Yellow is saying that Holland is negotiating as we speak with Tyson & the boys over the LOA...that Holland can't get enough people to work as it is, & is going to go out of business if they can't get enough workers. They are trying to get the LOA discontinued at Holland. Could you have Kenny call Brian? He's now saying he's going to have to quit Holland, & I don't think he should give in that easily.

I know I don't work at Holland, but this guy has been laid off for 2 years & is a little behind on everything that was brought down on Holland by YRC. I don't want to see him give up his rights without a fight.

I will try and call the Stteward. Hope we can help. Probably nothinf untill monday. I would hate to go through the weekend like that myself.
Rick s can say a lit of things but the BA might have soemthg gelse to say. BUT. I have seen a lot of side deals go down over the years.

The guys over at Holland should be investigating this. The thing is that it only affects the laid off guys, & they're going to be blind sided because they aren't around to know about it. He thinks he's going to quit now....he shouldn't do anything but get in contact with the BA. Who is your BA over there?

The DM is denying all new LOAs. But the Stewart says we are waitng to hear what the union has to say about it. They just called back all laid off guys and only got one to come back. I don't know out of how many but they are hurting right this minute. If they keep working everyone then more will come back.

He's going to play right into their plans...resign. That's what they want. I hope he holds off. No one should lose their rights over some secret back door deals.

the last thing in the world this guy should do is resign. let them fire him and if he's in the right the union should take care of it. he shouldn't even consider resigning.

[quote author=CDLguy link=topic=78433.msg814378#msg814378 date=1269032904]
Our BA over at Yellow is saying that Holland is negotiating as we speak with Tyson & the boys over the LOA...that Holland can't get enough people to work as it is, & is going to go out of business if they can't get enough workers. They are trying to get the LOA discontinued at Holland.[/QUOTE] Maybe if they would have called people back like they were supposed to, per the 25% rule, they would have enough people that would come back. But instead they have stonewalled and now even changed the 25% rule to their advantage. So it's their own damn fault that they are not getting anyone to come back. Just like calling people back, then laying them back off the next week. Who would sacrifice for them?

Go out of business because they can't get enough workers? That's a joke. How about go out of business because we are being run by a bunch of idiots! That's more accurate.

Good luck to the tanker driver. The LOA should be approved. Tell him not to just take no for an answer. Challenge them on it.

So they call 8 folks back a couple of weeks ago then they lay 6 of them off the NEXT friday, then they call everyone back one week later.
Hmmmmm yeah I would trust them. They wonder why everryone wants a LOA.
At this point being fired from Holland might be a good thing on your resume.
I can say he will probably work 3 days even if he gets layed off again. They use casuals most days now and it sounds like they might actually have to start using driving casuals and thus hire eventually.
Except they will probably get around that also.
I think if it were me I might have to get fired and take my LOA paperwork to the grievance meeting when I was ready to come back.

BTW the steward doesn't think they will be able to deny his LOA but like so many things in the past few years Holland tends to write it's own contract.

We all need to have the guts (or lack of value for these pitiful excuse of jobs) to let them fire us and then grieve it. The grievance panel decides what is and isn't, NOT MANAGEMENT!!! If god isn't with him, many of his brothers and sisters are.

We'd better all care about the outcome of this, at least the ones that want to retain the right to their union jobs. They shouldn't be allowed to force us to give up our current job to go back with them having full intentions of using us for a few weeks then laying us off again. Then we really would be their puppets.

The language is very clear they cannot deny you as long as you are not going to work for a non- union competitor. You have to be gone at least 30 days and must give the company a 72 hour notice when you want too return. If you leave and come back you have too wait at least 30 days to be eligible for another LOA. This is what the union negotiated for the loss of our pension benefits.

[quote author=ronaldjake link=topic=78433.msg814677#msg814677 date=1269120678]
The language is very clear they cannot deny you as long as you are not going to work for a non- union competitor. You have to be gone at least 30 days and must give the company a 72 hour notice when you want too return. If you leave and come back you have too wait at least 30 days to be eligible for another LOA. This is what the union negotiated for the loss of our pension benefits.
[/quote]

But...yesterday afternoon, the union officials & Holland were in a meeting to get it changed asap because when the terminal here called back the laid off guys to work because they have vacations & stuff to cover, only one guy came back. So, Holland was working to get it changed yesterday. The problem is, no one will know the outcome until at least Monday, because who can get a Teamster official on the weekend???

We voted on the MOU and now you fear Holland will up and change it without another vote? This just seems cut a dryed to me, a legal binding contract, that if the IBT wants to ignore........then NRLB. I understand everyone either does'nt want to make a stand or for someone to do it for them but some times you just gotta do it. Hell let Holland make a deal, if they don't want to honor the LOA then go back to full rate and pay the pension. Problem solved.