FedEx Freight | Emetoh vs Fedex Class Action

One of the allegations stated on the notice was, “company failed to reimburse employees for use of their personal cell phones for business purposes”. I bring this up because I repeatedly got into heated arguments with a certain dispatcher who had no problem expecting me to contact a residential customer with my own phone (all the while he had a company provided phone sitting on his desk!) just because the appt clerk entered “please call 1 hour before delivery” on the delivery receipt. Kudos to you Mr. Emetoh!

One of the allegations stated on the notice was, “company failed to reimburse employees for use of their personal cell phones for business purposes”. I bring this up because I repeatedly got into heated arguments with a certain dispatcher who had no problem expecting me to contact a residential customer with my own phone (all the while he had a company provided phone sitting on his desk!) just because the appt clerk entered “please call 1 hour before delivery” on the delivery receipt. Kudos to you Mr. Emetoh!

Interesting been saying that about cell phones for years.

Interesting... As a THE Company representative, such dispatcher(s) actions will likely cause the "Class" to prevail in this case.

Such a dispatcher, or any person in a leadership capacity, has ZERO authority to require any use of personal electronics for Company business.

We have been down this road before. The Company provides the Intermec, and has deemed it to be the appropriate communication device. In fact, for the driver, it is a far superior method. It provides a record of the conversation. Also useful for confirming any conversation, phone or otherwise. As for notifying a customer, xx minutes prior to delivery, a simply Intermec message to dispatch stating "it's time to contact the customer, I'll be there in 1 hour", should suffice.

Any conversation with leadership, on this topic, should be short and to the point. At any point it becomes "heated", you should end that conversation, and pick up the phone right then and there, calling H/R. Either your regional person, or if unavailable, the main office. H/R will likely ask you to put your dispatcher on the phone... Another situation where leadership will be educated.

Again, we've been down this road... There are perfectly good reasons for not wanting your personal number associated with Company business. Especially, but not limited to, residential.

Interesting... As a THE Company representative, such dispatcher(s) actions will likely cause the "Class" to prevail in this case.

Such a dispatcher, or any person in a leadership capacity, has ZERO authority to require any use of personal electronics for Company business.

We have been down this road before. The Company provides the Intermec, and has deemed it to be the appropriate communication device. In fact, for the driver, it is a far superior method. It provides a record of the conversation. Also useful for confirming any conversation, phone or otherwise. As for notifying a customer, xx minutes prior to delivery, a simply Intermec message to dispatch stating "it's time to contact the customer, I'll be there in 1 hour", should suffice.

Any conversation with leadership, on this topic, should be short and to the point. At any point it becomes "heated", you should end that conversation, and pick up the phone right then and there, calling H/R. Either your regional person, or if unavailable, the main office. H/R will likely ask you to put your dispatcher on the phone... Another situation where leadership will be educated.

Again, we've been down this road... There are perfectly good reasons for not wanting your personal number associated with Company business. Especially, but not limited to, residential.

Wholeheartedly agree driver! I contacted our ERA/HR rep abt this issue a year ago, and havent had an issue on this ever since. While there’s still the kiss-ups who have no issue using their cells for company business, I refuse to. The issue with said dispatcher seems to be a lack of experience (3 months as a city driver) and/or maturity. I’ve had exchanges with said dispatcher over the intermec (my preferred method of communication with dispatch as it provides a thorough trail of communication). Ah well, the terminal I’m out of is synonymous with lawsuits, this one just happened to put a s^!t-eating grin on this driver’s face.

Last edited:

And then you will be punished the FedExFrt way , as always....

Swamp you missed you're calling in life.... you should have been a lawyer.

Who gives a flying rat's ass? What will become of this? What's the objective? Obviously it's not to get "reimbursed" for calls made from a cell line that has unlimited calls.

Ah, but the lawyers in this will get $20 Million.

I can see it now: Keep track of per minute usage on your cell so you can charge the company for a percentage of your monthly bill.

Perhaps I'm not anal enough but what a PITA.

Last edited:
Who gives a flying rat's ass? What will become of this? What's the objective? Obviously it's not to get "reimbursed" for calls made from a cell line that has unlimited calls.

I can see it now: Keep track of per minute usage on your cell so you can charge the company for a percentage of your monthly bill.

Perhaps I'm not anal enough but what a PITA.

Not how it works. If they want you to use you're personal cell for company use they will have to pay the bill or get you a company cell phone. That's how it worked at my last job.... anyways.

Not how it works. If they want you to use you're personal cell for company use they will have to pay the bill or get you a company cell phone. That's how it worked at my last job.... anyways.
No, they won't have to pay the bill. Like any other company expense you'll submit a voucher and claim your use. They are not stupid enough to pay your whole bill for a few calls during the day.

No, they won't have to pay the bill. Like any other company expense you'll submit a voucher and claim your use. They are not stupid enough to pay your whole bill for a few calls during the day.
I don't even use one! The company says "no cell phones and no ear buds". Drives my dispatch nuts but if they contact me when I'm driving they gotta wait till I stop and contact them back.

No other way around it. You damn well know if you had an accident while talking to them it would be on you. Who the hell would take the chance?

I don't know how what you're talking about could even be calculated, but ok. Lol

Why would you want anybody you don't know to have your personal number? what about the treadmill you just delivered and it doesn't work but the mfg. has a press 1 for English system the customer can't talk to anybody, but they have your number, now they call you complaining while you're trying to eat dinner? That's why you don't use your phone.