Yellow | End of the fiscal year freight bump ??

Snortin Nortin

TB Lurker
Credits

I was wonderring how freight levels are in the next few days after the 4th, I know alot of the East coast shuts down for inventory around this time. Could the latest bump in freight be that buisinesses were dumping some inventory in order not to pay taxes on it ? Or is this bump a sign of better things to come ? Did YRC sales get some more accounts and some old ones back ? If you would let us know how things are moving in the next week or so. I just have a feeling that some folks who recieved a callback are gonna be disappointed in the next two weeks.. Any input in the next week or so is appreciated Thanks.

Hey Snortin......yea, the end of the physical year for companies. They get rid of as much inventory as they can.

During a "normal" year we see a rise in freight levels through the 4th and levels dropping for a couple of weeks after. Then busy again through October-November.

Seems nothing is "normal" anymore. At 671, our freight levels have been high for the past two weeks. This past week I think every shift was forced 2 hours overtime every day and asking if guys wanted to work 12. I don't see us getting caught up this coming week unless the powers that be reroute freight around us.

That wouldn't surprise me because 671 is laying off 20 dock guys next Saturday night, bringing the total laid off to 50+. That's a third of our dock seniority.:duh:

It will be interesting to see how much freight we pick up with the UE drivers. DS.

Normal nowdays is abnormal, I talked to a TM at Wichita last summer and he was saying they used to be able to gauge freight off the previuos years numbers and it held true year after year, but the last two years were not that way at all, pretty much a guessing game... Hate to hear about the 20 guy's getting laid off, probably just called back too I assume..

A manager at 671 was heard saying that we were the only terminal backed up in the whole system.

Well with workers laid off in every classification and no equipment for the last 3 weeks........I wonder why!!

Like the old saying......."If you fail to plan..........." DS.

A manager at 671 was heard saying that we were the only terminal backed up in the whole system.

Well with workers laid off in every classification and no equipment for the last 3 weeks........I wonder why!!

Like the old saying......."If you fail to plan..........." DS.

DS that is the way Big R operates. I honestly believe there is an operating manual in every terminal that simply states this: WAIT FOR $H!T TO HIT FAN........PANIC.......HOPE FOR THE BEST.
This company wants to do more, with less people. What are they doing to allow for this? Anything? No. They have no plan in place. The freight and the way we load it hasn't changed. We still have to take extra time everyday to re-stack freight that has shifted and tipped over in trailers because of poor stacking. Big R wants things to move faster but not one second has been spent to finding ways to MAKE THIS HAPPEN. So next week, 7/14/08, when we roll out THE NEW AND IMPROVED VERSION OF ROADWAY every terminal manager on the east coast will be doing the same thing: reaching behind desk for standard operating procedures...WAIT FOR $H!T TO HIT FAN.....PANIC......HOPE FOR THE BEST!

Here at 107 (cheshire) were so backed up it isn't funny.We had 1300 or so IB bills come in between friday and today. Peddle trailers are packed.We need help.Plus the fact we lost 4 men to utilty and with guys on vacation it makes it even worse.Right now their in the process of hiring some casuals.If they pan out or not is anybodys guess!

Here at 107 (cheshire) were so backed up it isn't funny.We had 1300 or so IB bills come in between friday and today. Peddle trailers are packed.We need help.Plus the fact we lost 4 men to utilty and with guys on vacation it makes it even worse.Right now their in the process of hiring some casuals.If they pan out or not is anybodys guess!
Don't worry.....your TM has a plan......looks like you guys are in stage three right now...'cause THE $H!T HAS ALREADY HIT THE FAN.....AND THERE'S PANIC!
Moparman, don't worry about a thing 'cause you guys will be hoping for the best any minute now.

Don't worry.....your TM has a plan......looks like you guys are in stage three right now...'cause THE $H!T HAS ALREADY HIT THE FAN.....AND THERE'S PANIC!
Moparman, don't worry about a thing 'cause you guys will be hoping for the best any minute now.

The dock is a mess can't move had to stop strippin to make room on dock. Moparman your statement is so true, with the UE guyz & 3 guyz retired the manpower is short handed. Half the city is working 12 hrs a day trying to chase down equip at the end of the day. Yesterday had 2 671 guys on the turn board sit for 5 hours waiting for equip to return home. Guys keep asking me when is he going to put some people on and I tell them he'll have to shoot himself in the foot first b/4 he makes a move. When he does he'll PANIC.

I think customers are already shipping with us the UE freight cause Yellow has started it already and think we have also. Good to see the freight increasing:1036316054:

The dock is a mess can't move had to stop strippin to make room on dock. Moparman your statement is so true, with the UE guyz & 3 guyz retired the manpower is short handed. Half the city is working 12 hrs a day trying to chase down equip at the end of the day. Yesterday had 2 671 guys on the turn board sit for 5 hours waiting for equip to return home. Guys keep asking me when is he going to put some people on and I tell them he'll have to shoot himself in the foot first b/4 he makes a move. When he does he'll PANIC.

I think customers are already shipping with us the UE freight cause Yellow has started it already and think we have also. Good to see the freight increasing:1036316054:

Tick...tock....tick.....tock......tick....tick....tick... he he he.....as bad as it is now, wait till next week when the VELOCITY PROGRAM gets rolled out and everyone on the east coast starts doing things the way THEY THINK IT SHOULD BE DONE. Because no one has set up a standard for all the terminals too follow. I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't seen a lot of planning. What about you guys? Have you seen any changes as to how the freight will get moved? :chairshot: