FedEx Freight | Equip Spec/Focus group meeting

SwampRatt

TB Legend
Credits
Recently attended the S/E region Equip Spec/Focus group meeting. Lots of interesting information came out of this.

We'll start with the portion dealing with Equipment:

I think everyone would be surprised to know the amount of research and the number of items listed on the spec sheet, that are required by FXFE when they request bids (quotes) from manufacturers. Every item down to the smallest detail is predetermined/required.

As far as what's been implemented, and/or in progress, here are just a few things that I can remember:

Been implemented:

KW-changes to improve ride comfort

Placement of lights on trailer (visibility from driver seat)

Dolly setup

Hood mirror placement

Door mounted downward facing mirrors returning

Driver side steps on lift gate trailers

Air ride only on all future truck purchases

Aux pin indicator on dash

CB radio setups

Seats- All will be FedEx spec with FedEx logo embroidered on head rest, from the manufacturer. This to insure, without question, compliance to the specs.

Shutoff valves on rear of pups are gone, replaced instead with “dummy” glad hands.

In progress:

Handhold Straps for greater access from ground level

Parameter changes- ultra shift transmissions (faster shifting program)

Audio volume for safety alerts

Dump valves/trolly valves

Peterbuilt-rear suspension/ride comfort

Increased Stowage

Improved lighting in the “dummy” glad hand area.

Hot Dip Galvanizing on trailers

replacement of outdated equip

Annual Procurement cycle:

Request quotes Oct., Scoring Nov/Dec, Spec review, Pick pilot builds Dec, Equip pilot received/tested Build PO issued April, Equip delivered, Equip build audit June.

*The above is not a complete list nor certified to be 100% without error. I'm relying on memory and relatively weak note taking abilities. Still, you get the jest of the process.

Bottom line: Almost nothing happens by accident, and they do seem to do their best to make changes/improvements to future equipment purchases, where appropriate and practical. Even retrofitting, when/where appropriate and practical.

Several corporate people were taking notes, on every suggestion/complaint/issue. The Equip portion of this event clearly had equal parts sharing of information, as well as listening. Truth is, more notes were taken by management/operations/staff than were taken by any drivers in attendance.

There is also a suggestion form on the intranet home page, if anyone has suggestions on equipment (or any thing, for that matter).

Huge amount of good info came from the reps in attendance from Eaton and Cummins, as well as experts on our adaptive cruise control, collision mitigation, traction control, safety recording and intervention systems. So much good info that it was mind bogeling. To call each rep an expert in their field would be a huge understatement.

Often what we think is going on in theses systems, is not what is really going on. While each effects the other, in many respects, they also operate independently.

The most pertinent info effecting our actual driving experience (IMHO) came from the Eaton rep. Each and every issue we have with the autoshift transmissions, it seems, has a simple explanation as to how to make it work properly. Apparently it's just a matter of knowing how to work within the design, in any given situation. My biggest suggestion on this topic: The guy needs to make a video that we would be required to view, explaining each scenario and the proper procedure to overcome the challenges we face with these transmissions. Often the solution is as simple as (for example) a 3 second pause, then constant light throttle application. Or manually selecting 3rd gear when starting out depending assorted factors. The sooner such an educational video can be produced, the better.

I still prefer a manual transmission, but the auto shift is here to stay, so we need to learn how to use them properly, rather than by trial and error. IMHO

There is a lot more, if anyone is interested. Things like anticipated life of each piece of equip, costs thereof, how far behind we are in replacement cycle, cost/plan to catch up. If there is interest, I can share more... Just ask

Anyone else attend one of these event? Willing to share your impression, or anything important I left out?

Next we can get into the focus group portion of the event. The most important part, IMHO.

We had a city driver at the same meeting,I think.
The best I can remember it was held in ATL.
He did tell me that our new baby KW's (city) was to be retrofitted with a hand brake,
which was something I miss daily.
He shared the same info on the auto's.
Backing them things on an incline and through rough concrete,pavement etc. without
slamming against a dock can be a challenge.
I would like to see a video,sure it would help.

I didn't see it...maybe I scanned thru to quick. Do away with company antenna's and coax's. Most ppl use their own. just put a simple bird perch for our own gear..how much would that save the company...

1 idea I would suggest is going back to a west coast mirror. The European mirror is fine going down
the road,But backing up in tight spots,It's not so easy to use...

We had a city driver at the same meeting,I think.
The best I can remember it was held in ATL.
He did tell me that our new baby KW's (city) was to be retrofitted with a hand brake,
which was something I miss daily.
He shared the same info on the auto's.
Backing them things on an incline and through rough concrete,pavement etc. without
slamming against a dock can be a challenge.
I would like to see a video,sure it would help.

Yep, ATL was the location. I seem to remember your NAS guy being quiet and hesitant to speak his mind... :poke:
Just kidding, he didn't bite his tongue a bit. Stand up guy, for sure. :1036316054:

Agree on the backing up incline. While they are getting better, they can really make us look bad. It seems to me that some of the methods used to overcome issues on the older autos, don't work on the newer ones, and visa versa. I only drive one occasionally, so it's tough to know with certainty what the best solution is for a given issue.

I didn't see it...maybe I scanned thru to quick. Do away with company antenna's and coax's. Most ppl use their own. just put a simple bird perch for our own gear..how much would that save the company...
They did mention that being the agreed spec going forward. Bird perch mounted to cab, NOT door. The ongoing difficulty, it seems, is with a suitable coax pass through point.

1 idea I would suggest is going back to a west coast mirror. The European mirror is fine going down
the road,But backing up in tight spots,It's not so easy to use...

Yeah, while I like the visibility, they are pretty big. My biggest problem with them is the HUGE blind spot behind them. When departing a parking lot or similar scenario, where you are rolling (not stopped), that moving blind spot (right side) can make for an uncomfortably close call. You can look both ways 2 or even 3 times, and not see a car in that large moving blind spot. For me, I almost have to stop, even if not necessary, just to be sure.

Wish hard plastic steering wheels would come back. Don't care for the sponge steering wheel once the protective coating is gone.

I think that the new city Kenworth' are good, and pretty strong considering how big the motor is. Having said that, they need to put air ride suspensions in these trucks! When they have no weight on them they can bounce really bad, and it can be quite unsafe!

Swamptratt: it's important to remember that the company is only in business to turn a profit. That's the one and only reason that Sheridan Garrison and Dick Bangham started their respective companies. Thus, the bean counters figure out how to spec equipment that will attract and retain qualified drivers willing to do the job needed.

Recently attended the S/E region Equip Spec/Focus group meeting. Lots of interesting information came out of this.

We'll start with the portion dealing with Equipment:

I think everyone would be surprised to know the amount of research and the number of items listed on the spec sheet, that are required by FXFE when they request bids (quotes) from manufacturers. Every item down to the smallest detail is predetermined/required.

As far as what's been implemented, and/or in progress, here are just a few things that I can remember:

Been implemented:

KW-changes to improve ride comfort

Placement of lights on trailer (visibility from driver seat)

Dolly setup

Hood mirror placement

Door mounted downward facing mirrors returning

Driver side steps on lift gate trailers

Air ride only on all future truck purchases

Aux pin indicator on dash

CB radio setups

Seats- All will be FedEx spec with FedEx logo embroidered on head rest, from the manufacturer. This to insure, without question, compliance to the specs.

Shutoff valves on rear of pups are gone, replaced instead with “dummy” glad hands.

In progress:

Handhold Straps for greater access from ground level

Parameter changes- ultra shift transmissions (faster shifting program)

Audio volume for safety alerts

Dump valves/trolly valves

Peterbuilt-rear suspension/ride comfort

Increased Stowage

Improved lighting in the “dummy” glad hand area.

Hot Dip Galvanizing on trailers

replacement of outdated equip

Annual Procurement cycle:

Request quotes Oct., Scoring Nov/Dec, Spec review, Pick pilot builds Dec, Equip pilot received/tested Build PO issued April, Equip delivered, Equip build audit June.

*The above is not a complete list nor certified to be 100% without error. I'm relying on memory and relatively weak note taking abilities. Still, you get the jest of the process.

Bottom line: Almost nothing happens by accident, and they do seem to do their best to make changes/improvements to future equipment purchases, where appropriate and practical. Even retrofitting, when/where appropriate and practical.

Several corporate people were taking notes, on every suggestion/complaint/issue. The Equip portion of this event clearly had equal parts sharing of information, as well as listening. Truth is, more notes were taken by management/operations/staff than were taken by any drivers in attendance.

There is also a suggestion form on the intranet home page, if anyone has suggestions on equipment (or any thing, for that matter).

Huge amount of good info came from the reps in attendance from Eaton and Cummins, as well as experts on our adaptive cruise control, collision mitigation, traction control, safety recording and intervention systems. So much good info that it was mind bogeling. To call each rep an expert in their field would be a huge understatement.

Often what we think is going on in theses systems, is not what is really going on. While each effects the other, in many respects, they also operate independently.

The most pertinent info effecting our actual driving experience (IMHO) came from the Eaton rep. Each and every issue we have with the autoshift transmissions, it seems, has a simple explanation as to how to make it work properly. Apparently it's just a matter of knowing how to work within the design, in any given situation. My biggest suggestion on this topic: The guy needs to make a video that we would be required to view, explaining each scenario and the proper procedure to overcome the challenges we face with these transmissions. Often the solution is as simple as (for example) a 3 second pause, then constant light throttle application. Or manually selecting 3rd gear when starting out depending assorted factors. The sooner such an educational video can be produced, the better.

I still prefer a manual transmission, but the auto shift is here to stay, so we need to learn how to use them properly, rather than by trial and error. IMHO

There is a lot more, if anyone is interested. Things like anticipated life of each piece of equip, costs thereof, how far behind we are in replacement cycle, cost/plan to catch up. If there is interest, I can share more... Just ask

Anyone else attend one of these event? Willing to share your impression, or anything important I left out?

Next we can get into the focus group portion of the event. The most important part, IMHO.
All good info, thanks for the updates. I personally have never attended one of these meetings but we've had several drivers that have in the past and they've all came back with the same perception that you've demonstrated.
As for the KW auto-shifts, the push button T-600's were real POS, you had to learn to drive with both feet, especially when backing! The T-660's got a little better but there's still to much lag between the gears and the throttle response is terrible. The T-680's are the best by far IMO. I learned real quick that you're better off starting in manual 3rd and staying in manual while up shifting...and if you double tap the shifter, it'll skip gears from 3rd to 5th to 7th which makes the slow takeoff more bearable. Since we've received the software update that you mentioned, it'll now skip gears in auto but the manual shift is still the way to go since you have more control and you can allow the RPM's top out before shifting. Also, you're better off pulling any hill in manual, auto shifts way to late and by the time it does you're dead in the water.
I'll agree, I'd rather have the stick but auto-shifts are here to stay.

I think that the new city Kenworth' are good, and pretty strong considering how big the motor is. Having said that, they need to put air ride suspensions in these trucks! When they have no weight on them they can bounce really bad, and it can be quite unsafe!
The air ride on these KW's was mentioned in the last mile marker disc.
They will have air ride in next purchase.

Yep, ATL was the location. I seem to remember your NAS guy being quiet and hesitant to speak his mind... :poke:
Just kidding, he didn't bite his tongue a bit. Stand up guy, for sure. :1036316054:

Agree on the backing up incline. While they are getting better, they can really make us look bad. It seems to me that some of the methods used to overcome issues on the older autos, don't work on the newer ones, and visa versa. I only drive one occasionally, so it's tough to know with certainty what the best solution is for a given issue.
He is stand up guy.
I would worry about him if he was quiet and didn't speak his mind.

Oh , also they need to mention how bad of an idea it was to get rid of the registration box, and replace it with the sheet metal flap!
I'm almost positive, they have addressed that, going forward. They may even be retrofitting those with the box. I wish I could remember everything.

How odd that one of the biggest proponents of the attempted unionization was invited to a spec focus session. ..

In my neck of the woods that distinction is given to rats and a $$ ki $$ ers...

can someone say payola. ...

Next thing you know he'll be management.

How odd that one of the biggest proponents of the attempted unionization was invited to a spec focus session. ..

I don't see it odd at all.
One can stand strong in what they believe and still be respected by others that see things differently.
Sounds as if respect is being shown by all at that center.

Welcome to the topic, 8-toes. Did you want to contribute something of value, or is that all you've got? Either way, I'll play...

I can't be certain "why", but perhaps... Maybe the company realizes they need some critical input, rather than just having head nodding sessions, where everyone agrees, or appears to agree. Maybe they want to get an accurate "pulse" on the workforce. Maybe "someone" thought it would be wise to shake things up. Or maybe they made a horrible mistake, and I got lucky. I can't be concerned with why, but I appreciate and value of the opportunity. Call that a kiss if you like.

Lucky for you, and the rest of us, I did get to attend, otherwise none of us would know what was discussed.

I'll use your comment as a way to transition into the Focus group portion. I hope you don't mind.

Focus Group Portion:

Since road and city were segregated, for obvious reasons, I can only share the city side of the discussion, although I heard that the road guys did bring up the need to bring city more in line with road, compensation wise.

As you might expect I brought up everything I could get in. Notes taken, and discussed. I won't say who brought up what, and I really didn't take many notes on this portion, since the purpose and intent (I think) was for Corporate to listen to us.

Lots of general philosophy things were discussed, general practices, what should be common sense etc. Much agreement (or at least appearance of agreement) from the Operations and H/R staff conducting this portion.

It was brought up that most rules and procedures for city should mirror road rules, when possible. Bids and how they are honored, Trucks, etc all mentioned.

On the issue of the one pay structure/benefit that is different for city, while more fair for road (based on annual earnings), The vacation benefit and the fact that is should be the same for all drivers, was mentioned.It was said to have been, and IS being considered. At this time, the cost associated with that improvement (8+mil), has been decided would be better spent placing all budgeted gains into the wages.

I seem to recall 8.6 mil was the quoted cost of such an enhancement. Not an unreasonable amount to spend on something that is “the right thing to do”.

Based on 2014 annual numbers, a cost of 8.6 million would be less than .15% (.00149). Between 1 and 2 tenths of 1 percent of the total budget. Pretty small percentage in the grand scheme of things, IMHO

Onto the wage issue. It was also noted that since all gains are slated to go to wages (which I do support), the distribution method will be different this time around. It is said that rather than apply increases across the board, they will be weighted toward the more veteran end of the pay ladder. This makes good sense since our entry level pay is already more than competitive, and would apply to applicants that don't even work here... Yet.

Here's my suggestion. The skid plate on the bottom of the gear needs to be flipped over and then welded in to place. I know I know you're supposed to set the brakes on the gear when you drop it. But in reality that rarely happens so if the manufacturer would just flip the skid place that gear won't move on an incline.