FedEx Freight | Equip Spec/Focus group meeting

Anything in there to get moron employees to stop dropping trailers so high??

Definitely an issue!

Actually, going forward, there is a spec 5th wheel height. All new trucks are said meet that spec. Apparently the (older) Volvo portion of the fleet does not conform to that spec. The only solution currently available is education. Leave a couple of inches (then dump air) when dropping from a nonVolvo. That should be an ongoing pre-shift topic, IMHO

EX396 said:
Swamp, your diplomacy is impressive. It is obvious to anybody paying attention that you make a valiant effort to be part of the solution instead part of the problem.
Thanks EX, I'd forgotten all about that exchange way back on page one... diplomacy? :idunno:

I recal a low cost suggestion, that came out in the focus group portion, that was never implemented., despite rave reviews.

It was encouraged that a communication method be created for employee feedback/comments on the monthly Mike Ducker videos. Something as simple as an email address shown/mentioned at the end. The cost would be zero, except for someone to actually read them. Select replies/comments could even be included in subsequent videos.

Perhaps this was deemed unnecessary, or has not yet been considered. Either way, it seems that it would be beneficial, harmless, cost effective, and fit well under the admirable goal of "Approachable Leadership". That being a current industry buzzword and/or objective.

I recal a low cost suggestion, that came out in the focus group portion, that was never implemented., despite rave reviews.

It was encouraged that a communication method be created for employee feedback/comments on the monthly Mike Ducker videos. Something as simple as an email address shown/mentioned at the end. The cost would be zero, except for someone to actually read them. Select replies/comments could even be included in subsequent videos.

Perhaps this was deemed unnecessary, or has not yet been considered. Either way, it seems that it would be beneficial, harmless, cost effective, and fit well under the admirable goal of "Approachable Leadership". That being a current industry buzzword and/or objective.

It's important to remember that we work for an aircraft carrier, not a PT boat. It takes time to turn this beast around, and thus, it may take a year or longer to implement a change that seems simple.

It's important to remember that we work for an aircraft carrier, not a PT boat. It takes time to turn this beast around, and thus, it may take a year or longer to implement a change that seems simple.

Don't think he was talking about re inventing the wheel just a small change. It shouldn't take that long to make small changes.

Anything in there to get moron employees to stop dropping trailers so high??

I don't get this whole issue yes it is a pain in the ass but ultimately the driver is responsible for making sure they are not going to high hook the trailer. Getting out and cranking the landing gear down a crank or 2 isn't a big deal.

Fair point ST. I also understand that there could be reasons for not using every seemingly good idea that comes up.

Main reason for posting it now was, after review, it had been overlooked in the original post about the focus portion.

The trailer doors and the rollers and brackets rusting out. Bad design from the beginning . Not enough lubrication on the parts. And the panels are too large to make the turn smooth at the top of the doors. When you have a bad door you need to deadline the trailer at the end of the day and have the shop fix it. But our drivers are either too lazy or stupid or just don't care to do it. I see doors with half the rollers missing....focus group, or lack of focus group, what ever you want to call it.

The trailer doors and the rollers and brackets rusting out. Bad design from the beginning . Not enough lubrication on the parts. And the panels are too large to make the turn smooth at the top of the doors. When you have a bad door you need to deadline the trailer at the end of the day and have the shop fix it. But our drivers are either too lazy or stupid or just don't care to do it. I see doors with half the rollers missing....focus group, or lack of focus group, what ever you want to call it.

In my barn, the shop is 100 yards away from dispatch. Couple of years ago, I was told that I singlehandedly deadline more equipment than the other 55 city/road drivers combined. I told the shop lead they need to suspend every other driver. They're evidently not deadlining anything. I deadline about 8 pieces of equipment per month. The other 55 deadline less. Mostly because they're too lazy to walk from the shop to dispatch.

Oh well.

Write on St. The driver has to be the one to make sure it gets worked on. Bitchin about the company does no good. We have to take charge and work with the shop. You can't expect a new dock workers to understand. And the red shirts don't use the equipment. We are the ones that make our living on the road with this equipment. We should expect and insist better for ourselves and from ourselves.