FedEx Freight | Equip Spec/Focus group meeting

Yeah...right up until you hit a snow storm. The LED headlights don't generate enough heat to defrost the headlight lens, or so I'm told by drivers in the northern most states...who hate them.

Here is a good article on leds most new cars come with them now if your buying a premium package. https://www.angieslist.com/articles/which-headlights-shine-best-halogen-hid-or-led.htm
My truck has hid headlights from factory they are really bright alot better than what our trucks have.

Here is a good article on leds most new cars come with them now if your buying a premium package. https://www.angieslist.com/articles/which-headlights-shine-best-halogen-hid-or-led.htm
My truck has hid headlights from factory they are really bright alot better than what our trucks have.

And yet they don't work well in extreme cold. That's what the drivers I know in Denver and North Dakota tell me. Feel free to travel to North Dakota and report back after rolling over in a ditch.

And yet they don't work well in extreme cold. That's what the drivers I know in Denver and North Dakota tell me. Feel free to travel to North Dakota and report back after rolling over in a ditch.

Ok captain headlight. I wonder why all the automakers are going to them. I guess they are all stupid and don't know anything. Might want to do some reading before you claim to be an expert on this stuff.

Ok captain headlight. I wonder why all the automakers are going to them. I guess they are all stupid and don't know anything. Might want to do some reading before you claim to be an expert on this stuff.
Perhaps you should research the issue...the automakers have heated LED headlights...why do you suppose they heat them? Same reason your dispatcher heats your skirt???

With apologies to Smokestack for being disrespectful. I just don't deal well with idiots like my sister in law...

Perhaps you should research the issue...the automakers have heated LED headlights...why do you suppose they heat them? Same reason your dispatcher heats your skirt???

With apologies to Smokestack for being disrespectful. I just don't deal well with idiots like my sister in law...

Read the link genious they do the opposite of what your saying they actually produce alot of heat. :hilarious: From the link

LEDS use small diodes that produce light when electric current excites their electrons. They need an low amount of power to work but do produce a significant amount of heat on the diode. This requires heat control systems at the bottom of the headlight and near other car components. If this system fails, not just the light, but other electronics could be affected.

The small size of LEDs means they can be formed into almost any shape, and their light is naturally directional rather than diffuse, making them an excellent choice for headlight

Last edited:
Because most cars don't drive 580 miles in a snow storm in the middle of the night. You might want to do some actual driving in these conditions before you claim to be an expert.

Read the link genious they do the opposite of what your saying they actually produce alot of heat. :hilarious: From the link

LEDS use small diodes that produce light when electric current excites their electrons. They need an low amount of power to work but do produce a significant amount of heat on the diode. This requires heat control systems at the bottom of the headlight and near other car components. If this system fails, not just the light, but other electronics could be affected.

The small size of LEDs means they can be formed into almost any shape, and their light is naturally directional rather than diffuse, making them an excellent choice for headlight
Yo Einstein..why are Christmas tree lights all LED's now? Do you know what a diode is. The heat that your talking about is what cause the bulb to light up, not the heat it puts out!

I guess I'm wrong still can't find any info pertaining to this subject. I still don't understand if the automakers have heated leds why can't tractors have this same technology??????

My Cascadia has the LED headlights, and they are just fine in the snow. Freezing rain will ice them up, but that doesn't make them useless and a good palm smack breaks the ice off easily. And the LED headlights offer exceptional night vision in trade.

Maybe instead of repeating stories you hear from "guys who drive in the snow" you ought to try actually driving in snow with these lights before judging them. I heard all the same stories before I drove this truck, and after having driven one through a Canadian winter, have found those stories to simply not be true.

My Cascadia has the LED headlights, and they are just fine in the snow. Freezing rain will ice them up, but that doesn't make them useless and a good palm smack breaks the ice off easily. And the LED headlights offer exceptional night vision in trade.

Maybe instead of repeating stories you hear from "guys who drive in the snow" you ought to try actually driving in snow with these lights before judging them. I heard all the same stories before I drove this truck, and after having driven one through a Canadian winter, have found those stories to simply not be true.
Good 1st hand info CF. I'm still wondering how headlights with a coating of ice make someone wind up in a ditch. Hmmm...

I drive thru it also..What seems to be the issue is the temperature. If it's below freezing to start, no issues. But when we get that wet sloppy snow is when drivers have issues.

Funny how all the cheerleaders who piled on are gone after proven wrong.
You didn't prove anyone wrong. Cf said he still breaks the ice away with the palm of his hand. The old halogen bulbs burn hotter then led's. You said the opposite was true. Explain to me how "you're" right because CF doesn't have issues with snow sticking to his head lights. My god man, you take a participation trophy even when you're dead wrong.

I don't know anything about LED headlights but my LED taillights don't generate any heat, I have to clean them regularly in the winter.

Reactions: Ump
The heat sink is usually in the back, they do generate a significant amount of heat just in the wrong spot. Look at one from lowes or Home depot all in the back or top depending on how you look at it. All of the replacement H4 lights I have seen are in the back.

Reactions: Ump