Erie PA-- Big Rig Destroys His Trailer on a 12ft 4 bridge

Oh for crying out loud I'd love to have a dollar for every trucker that has attempted to get under that Liberty Street bridge.
In the history of 13'/6" Semi trailers xanl/h.

It's interesting that the "condition of these IRON bridges" need be inspected when a ALUMINUM trailer hits and gets stuck and demolished.
These are the "lasting evermore" bridges, so bring on the weak trailers with these simpleminded "If I get up some speed, I'll make it" drivers.
:kickedoutsmile:

You gotta wonder if these driver's know what the 13'-6" markings on the front of their trailers refers to? Maybe they assume it's just part of the unit #'s, or vin #'s.

I agree with you sugarfoot,every time those drivers do their pre & post trip walk arounds viewing there marker lights.
One would think that those trailer height numbers would be ingrained in their brain.

Although for all of the bridge hits I have seen since I have been moderator on this forum.
That measurement has to be something that is over looked on their walk arounds.

i had a drop and hook that i did once a week that included running under a bridge marked 13' 8", i didn't even like being that close

As a rule bridges in Upstate New York most towns outside of the NY City & Long Island area.
As a rule are marked a foot higher than the actual height.

I have lived in Upstate all of my nearly 70 years,& retired after being a city driver for 45 years.
But never really knew the reason why the signage is marked higher?
Only explanation I have ever heard was from other truckers that in the winter the snow builds up on the roads,or that the ground surface raises up from the cold.
However I think those two reasons are just speculations from other truckers who deliver in this area.

Best to not count on any GPS,or even signage.
I drove long enough that I could eye ball the height between my trailers & overpasses,also utility lines.

That is why I find it so odd that so many bridge hits are posted here on this accident forum.

For the most part all drivers need to use their own judgment, based on their driving experience, to know where they can,& can't make it under.

Bottom line...it is the Driver's responsibility to know the trailers height, width and length. And when you find yourself on unfamiliar roads and approach bridges and overpasses that are either marked or not, it's all on you, error on the side of caution ! Don't gamble your job away !

I will also agree with you on that point Sugarfoot.
We city drivers had a saying at my UPS Freight terminal.
If all else fails blame it on us drivers.