Estes | Estes and Old Dominion similarities?

teamster elvis

TB Veteran
Credits
Heard rumors pertaining to a merger of Estes and O.D. Can anyone confirm? Both have a lot in common. Both seem to be heading in the same direction. Both slow. Both don't provide the best in the way of pay and benefits. Both dumping accounts that don't pay well. Both have extremely disgruntled employees. Have heard a lot of comparisons of the two from management in the past. I can just feel big changes in the air!!!

Heard rumors pertaining to a merger of Estes and O.D. Can anyone confirm? Both have a lot in common. Both seem to be heading in the same direction. Both slow. Both don't provide the best in the way of pay and benefits. Both dumping accounts that don't pay well. Both have extremely disgruntled employees. Have heard a lot of comparisons of the two from management in the past. I can just feel big changes in the air!!!

They do have a no compete agreement. I know that the owners of both companies are members at the same country club in richmond, va.... and I know they are good friends. Old D pays less than Big E does. Old D has worse health insurance plans than Big E does. I know I worked for big e for a while. I had some friends that work at old d... as far as the rumor of them merging ... I think you are trying to start something or someone from GI is starting more rumors... I have no love for Big E so let the rumors persist

Much stranger things have happend. After being involved in this industry for about 20 years nothing surprises me anymore

now i have heard from people in the system that OD is a having money problems and that Estes now owns any where between 25% to 41% of OD already. kinda like that GI thing and Rob was there to help them out

I think it would be a loss if they "merged". Like YRCW we have not merged. The money in going to one pot. Which gives our corporation more strength.

now i have heard from people in the system that OD is a having money problems and that Estes now owns any where between 25% to 41% of OD already. kinda like that GI thing and Rob was there to help them out

Welcome to the boards chevyman.

I highly doubt that Estes owns any of OD but it would be easy enough to fins out if they did.

OD is a publicly traded company which means and large blocks of stock owned by one person would have to be public information.

Look through the OD financials and you'll find all the information you are looking for.

Here's what you're looking for

ODFL: Major Holders for OLD DOMINION FREIG - Yahoo! Finance

i have heard this same thing, like they owe big e money from renting terminal space or some bull crap....

i have heard this same thing, like they owe big e money from renting terminal space or some bull crap....
I think that would also have to be public information to reveal a large creditor in ODs public balance sheet that is filed under SEC guidelines. Also just because both OD and Estes is slow right now is not a indication of the next steps as this has been a very short term situation. Though the two have much in common that would not necessarily make a good fit probably would be very frustrating to both owners and employees.

So which stock woulld be the best to buy right now?
If one buys the other out.
The company that gets bought will have their stock prices go up.
I know I worked for Overnite since 1986.
When UPS bought them out in 2005 Overnite stock was around $23.00 per share,UPS bought all of ther stock for either $42.00,or$43.00 per share I can't remember now?
But If I had any idea this was going down,I'd of mortgage my house to the max,and bought Overnite stock.

So now if anyone of you Old Dominion,or Estes drivers know anything why not tip us truckingboard folks off,so we can make some big money on the deal.
Thanks to all in advance.
A littile extra loot would be kind of nice.

Sure investment

When UPS bought them out in 2005 Overnite stock was around $23.00 per share,UPS bought all of ther stock for either $42.00,or$43.00 per share I can't remember now?
But If I had any idea this was going down,I'd of mortgage my house to the max,and bought Overnite stock.

So now if anyone of you Old Dominion,or Estes drivers know anything why not tip us truckingboard folks off,so we can make some big money on the deal.

I would invest in a company that makes a good adult diaper and soft,absorbent paper towels.There's a lot of people in the trucking business that will have a need for these products before this winter is over.I see nothing but growth in this manufacturing sector.

Estes is a privately held company. You will not be able to buy stock in Big E. Old D on the other hand I do not know. Estes pays for everything in cash. They dont owe anyone anything. Old D has more service centers .. port centers ... Old D is bigger than Big E but not by much anymore. What I know about Big E and what lil I know about Old D is not worth buying any stock if any is available.

Estes is a privately held company. You will not be able to buy stock in Big E. Old D on the other hand I do not know. Estes pays for everything in cash. They dont owe anyone anything. Old D has more service centers .. port centers ... Old D is bigger than Big E but not by much anymore. What I know about Big E and what lil I know about Old D is not worth buying any stock if any is available.

Yeah Not worth the paper its wrote on. Glad I did not put more than 2 % INTO MY 401K into OD If I had I probably could retire now. Who would want to do that.

I would invest in a company that makes a good adult diaper and soft,absorbent paper towels.There's a lot of people in the trucking business that will have a need for these products before this winter is over.I see nothing but growth in this manufacturing sector.

another moronic reply from the jim bob peanut gallery. the hits just keep on coming...

well the owner of big E just sitting back waiting on someone to make him the right offer and he is going to do just like the rest of them he will sell out and get away from the bull crap.pretty soon we all that are still in the trucking business will either be working for FEDEX or UPSF if you are not now.....

Merger,buy out

another moronic reply from the jim bob peanut gallery. the hits just keep on coming...

Buy outs and mergers mean lost jobs for somebody.I have seen it happen every time O.D. has bought a company.Don't feel like making money off other people's bad luck.Probably would have when I was younger,but not now.Maybe I have got a little too mellow and now understand what lost wages can mean to a young family.

Buy outs and mergers mean lost jobs for somebody.I have seen it happen every time O.D. has bought a company.Don't feel like making money off other people's bad luck.Probably would have when I was younger,but not now.Maybe I have got a little too mellow and now understand what lost wages can mean to a young family.

oh no! I think I'm going to shed a tear. Is this the softer gentler Jim Bob? Just what would you do if O.D. and Estes became one and they layed off some O.D. drivers in your town? Would you switch places with him?

It all depends on what the original owners want for the company they built up?
If they are getting older,and theres no family members or good friends that are willing to buy in,and keep the company going,they maybe looking to sell to whoever they can get the most money from,for their sunset years,also to take care of their family members.

I remember when some union companies sold out after deregulation.
The owners just wanted to get what they could,and run away forgetting about the workers that helped make their companies grow.
When they sold,it was to the type of investors that sold of the terminals,and equipment to make a fast buck.
The best way for company workers to be provided for is to have another company of the same type take them over.
At least that way maybe not all jobs,but many jobs will be saved.

I had 17&1/2 years at Halls Motor Transit when I got the call on a sunday afternoon,March of 1986 it was my TM.
He said I have bad news
Halls closed their doors saturday,don't bother coming in monday.
Just like that it was over.
A few of Halls upper management got themselves set up with Overnite.
Halls than sold some of their terminals to Overnite for real sweet deals.
Than they auctioned off all of their equipment.
The owners ran off with all the money they could.
I had to start looking for trucking jobs else where.
After 11 union casual jobs with no hope of getting hired,I gave up my union card and hired on with Overnite,now UPS Freight.
Thats my story.
I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
I hope the best for you Estes,and Old D. workers wherever you may be.

ye king of rock and roll

oh no! I think I'm going to shed a tear. Is this the softer gentler Jim Bob? Just what would you do if O.D. and Estes became one and they layed off some O.D. drivers in your town? Would you switch places with him?

I wouldn't come out of retirement to switch places with J.C. ye king of rock and roll.

ummm no. if you look at our names his is all caps..i.e JIM BOB and under his name it says The Original. my name is spelled JimBob and under my name it says the other JimBob. attention to detail my friend, attention to detail :D

i was asked to change my user named, but i could not figure out how to do it without reregistering :D, to not cause confusion so for that i am sorry and JIM BOB if i have brought down your name in assocition with mine for that i am sorry. oh 1 more thing JIM BOB ....SEMPER FI!!!!!!!!!