Estes | Estes Drivers quitting

i heard this rumor last week, several guys talking about it , but they said it was for linehaul only going by company time. and that it was on nov bid. but i cant see them doing it for all the company, look what happened this time drivers crying over hook pay, and have to rebid.

im sure that only affected a few drivers, think how many it would affect if they changed our time in rank. it would be a terrible mess. i know half the city guys would jump for a good daytime linehaul run. they talk about it all the time, wishing they change rule, only thing ever stopped them from going linehaul is afraid of extra board.

take away extra board scare and they will jump,,,, forcing linehaul drivers who put in time on extra board to go city. man would you see complaints. and many drivers quitting. in my opinion company would be stupid to change it when its been this way for so long. now i would love choice and to be able to choose city, linhaul hub, based on what is going on with family this year would be great. but too much of a mess it would be now.

It seems to me,by looking at other companies and talking to other drivers,that Estes is the only company in the LTL industry that doesn't bid by company time...It would be hectic at first,but I think everyone,in the long run,would rather it be by company time...It doesn't affect me one way or the other,so I'm not campaigning for,or against it...But,it's disturbs me to see folks get bumped back in the city because they wanted to cut extraboard runs or scheuled runs for some reason...

Example: A run gets modified from hub to linehaul..The hub driver has 15 years total company time..The only place he has to go is back int he city,because he can't bump a 2 year guy the has a scheuled linehaul run,that was hired off the street,because no other linehaul driver wanted the run at the time of the bid...And if there is no spot for them to go,they get layed off...Why should a 15 year guy,loose his job over the 2 year guy...That's flat wrong...

There are arguements both ways..But,the example I gave,accually happened at a terminal to 3 drivers..

We had a guy that ran extraboard for years at 047. (refered to as #10 Guy) They laid off 11 guys and later brought the number 11 guy back without posting runs. When it was time for the number 10 guy a couple weeks later, they posted the jobs for it to be bidded on within the company. A city boy that was hired 6 months got the extraboard spot at the time and a transfer got the other. They later posted again and filled them the same way. The number 10 guy decided to work for specialized to keep his company seniority. The specialized division closed the doors and he was back out on the streets again. The #10 guy got a city job at the 041 terminal to stay with the company. 2 weeks later they brought back the remaing extra drivers that were laid off without posting them for bid at 047. They gave the #10 guy a utility spot and put him in the oldest truck on the yard. They hired a new guy and gave the new guy a new truck. I was at a terminal 800 miles away and overheard a few drivers telling this story.......... Some people get put in another class from no fault of their own but hey, at least he still has a job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always hear, "seniority rules" everywhere I go but when it comes to total company seniority including the hard working ones, then I hear, "wait a minute! That wouldn't be right!" . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
even though i'm a green horn here, i gotta say i agree with slopway. seniority should be by company time, but i believe if they made the change now it would only be a big mess
i'm yet to understand the whole different class of road drivers, hub and linehaul. at fdx ground we did it by company seniority. runs were awarded to the driver with the long company seniority and less points (accidents/late meets/etc)
i guess we'll find out come rebidding, i just hope i can stick around

I really like that points thing you had at FXF nctruckdriver. It would be nice to have some sort of reward system for us drivers who always answer our phones, never say no, show up on time, and just do our job like we were hired to do. Every yard has their slackers and most drivers know who they are. I wonder if management knows who they are too? A system like this along with seniority might work well here too.

even though I'm a green horn here, i gotta say i agree with slopway. seniority should be by company time, but i believe if they made the change now it would only be a big mess
I'm yet to understand the whole different class of road drivers, hub and linehaul. at fdx ground we did it by company seniority. runs were awarded to the driver with the long company seniority and less points (accidents/late meets/etc)
i guess we'll find out come rebidding, i just hope i can stick around

I agree nctruckdriver...When I was with AAA Cooper, they did it right away...Like I said before,there is a time of mayhem..But after a couple of weeks everyone knew where they stood...Some quit..And you're going to have those..But in the long run,it is the right thing to do...And as I have said before,it's not going to affect me at all..I'm second on linehaul and second in company time..So I'm not campaigning to go with it or be against it...

I completely agree. I never say no, am never late by my own fault, and get it done safe. But sometimes I feel like it's a bad thing around here. I got to cover a schedule last week that paid 405 a day because I am "totally reliable". Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Wheeeeeeew! $405 a day. I would have me some on ramps picked out with a run like that.

BuzzBeez said:
I really like that points thing you had at FXF nctruckdriver. It would be nice to have some sort of reward system for us drivers who always answer our phones, never say no, show up on time, and just do our job like we were hired to do. Every yard has their slackers and most drivers know who they are. I wonder if management knows who they are too? A system like this along with seniority might work well here too.

He said Fedex Ground not Freight. Freight bids company seniority in job class.City bids start times,road bids runs. You cant jump back and forth between city and road with each bid.And if they layoff its the same way,job class not company seniority.

Let's get real. City drivers and road drivers aren't interchangeable. Just because a city guy has 10 years in this company doesn't mean that he has ever hooked a set or pulled one or has any experience on the road.

I'm Linehaul. I hired in this way. 10 years from now, I'll be just as clueless as how to operate a handheld as I am today.

I don't understand the multiple levels of bidding, but having a road and city board makes sense to me.

I mean, it just seems to me that the city driver job and the road driver job are two different jobs. I got hired in to do one, and if I want to change to another, then yeah, I should have to start over in that classification.

I've been with Estes just a little longer than my TM. If we go to company-wide seniority, and they lay off, can I bump him and take his job?

You'd make a fine TM drummerforhire. I wouldn't want that job at any LTL. Its way too stressful at my age.

P&d is different at each terminal. Some terminals hire extraboard off the streets because nobody bids on them. Some terminals have drivers with over 10 years p&d seniority signing up for Tuesday night extraboard

today was the end for 1 ofour drivers out of 631. The 21st will be my last day. Theend of the month will be the end for one of our drivers who is off on medical leave. Doctor will not let him drive for 6months and fmla is ending. LibertyMutualhas denied him short term disability and hr don't want to help. They won'teven let him do any thing light duty forless pay. They have yet to correct the driver safety bonus check thing from dec 6 that appearedon our ytd ans W2s but took checks back but let us pay tax on. No one seems to have answers. 6 yrs and same pay with less drivers and more stores. Minimum time is 5yrs with us. We are Estes Specialized so we are different than most of you. But we have seen changes all around here. 6 day a week for 6yrs sucks with no appreciation. We tried to stick it out but feel like they are trying to run us off. Wish us luck as we wish the best for the rest of you.

today was the end for 1 ofour drivers out of 631. The 21st will be my last day. Theend of the month will be the end for one of our drivers who is off on medical leave. Doctor will not let him drive for 6months and fmla is ending. LibertyMutualhas denied him short term disability and hr don't want to help. They won'teven let him do any thing light duty forless pay. They have yet to correct the driver safety bonus check thing from dec 6 that appearedon our ytd ans W2s but took checks back but let us pay tax on. No one seems to have answers. 6 yrs and same pay with less drivers and more stores. Minimum time is 5yrs with us. We are Estes Specialized so we are different than most of you. But we have seen changes all around here. 6 day a week for 6yrs sucks with no appreciation. We tried to stick it out but feel like they are trying to run us off. Wish us luck as we wish the best for the rest of you.

Good luck in your endeavorers..