Estes | Estes east bidding

Would be nice to have 2 boards City and Road, then I could be on one of those utility hub runs with the thought I could bid on a road run again.
Extra board sucks, but to lose everything in seniority if I took a hub run.
Oh well we got some guys that been here a couple years making out on that now.

I agree, two boards only would be fair.

little birdie told me every year from now on in the east - next nov

That will be great, but will they make hub runs available for bidding by linehaul guys. Like I said before I got more time in then all of our current guys doing hub runs right now.
Couple of those runs are pretty good ones, alot better then Extra Board.
I'm sure feelings would be hurt, but the way I see it most companies I know of reward a guy for time of service.

Just gotta get in on this........NO CHANGES IN BIDDING. I know it sounds harsh, but for years we hub drivers were red-headed step children around here. A lot of linehaul drivers mocked us and looked down on us. Now that the easy money is gone you want to change the rules. Yup, linehaul drivers have more time with the company than I do, but I fingerprinted more freight last week than they have in 20 yrs. I am always willing to go the extra.... jockey, work the dock, etc....and I STILL here guys saying they just want to hold the steering wheel. Dont penalize us for doing the extra for so many years. And city drivers....dont even get me started. When they were getting 32 hrs and starving, I told my TM to give them my run on Friday nights. They never wanted it.....didnt want to mess up the weekend. We just have to ride it out until we get busy again.

Just gotta get in on this........NO CHANGES IN BIDDING. I know it sounds harsh, but for years we hub drivers were red-headed step children around here. A lot of linehaul drivers mocked us and looked down on us. Now that the easy money is gone you want to change the rules. Yup, linehaul drivers have more time with the company than I do, but I fingerprinted more freight last week than they have in 20 yrs. I am always willing to go the extra.... jockey, work the dock, etc....and I STILL here guys saying they just want to hold the steering wheel. Dont penalize us for doing the extra for so many years. And city drivers....dont even get me started. When they were getting 32 hrs and starving, I told my TM to give them my run on Friday nights. They never wanted it.....didnt want to mess up the weekend. We just have to ride it out until we get busy again.

Hello and welcome fishydawg:1036316054:

Hey that's what this little unofficial poll is for driver, to let your opinion be known. So don't worry about sounding harsh, if that's how you feel about it then cool.

As far as L/H guys looking down on and mocking Hub guys I've never seen that at our barn. But if that does happen then that's ignorant on the L/H mans part.

I'm L/H with a bid run now but started out as a Hub driver and I see your argument. But I can also tell you there are E/B drivers that don't want it to change also because they have been gone all week every week for years waiting on a schedule. So they don't want a Hub that's been getting home every day for years with more co. time knocking them out of a out/back L/H schedule. So some of those guys want to keep the two boards seperate also. The problem I have with both sides on that is that it makes the kind of work you have been doing on the road here more important that how long you have been working here on the road.

Either way it won't effect me, I've got time on all of 'em at my barn. So I'm just kinda throwing that out there.
I came up the hard way Hub to E/B L/H to schedule L/H so I've fingerprinted my share. When it came time to choose between coming home every day and getting on L/H, I took the E/B spot so I could some day get a L/H bid.

Some hub guys don't want to be gone all week so they won't take a E/B L/H run when they can, so they get stuck on the hub forever pounding the pad till they are old men (I know a 60+yr. old hub guy that will tell you he wished he had went L/H when he could have yrs. ago but now he can't.) One road board and one city board, bidding every year, would solve that.

I know where you're coming from fishy. Like KD I came up through the ranks. Never had the pleasure of running E/B at Estes, but I had my share elsewhere. Been on both sides of the fence. I don't know if you have noticed it in your area, but I know down here we've had a lot of Hub runs being changed to L/H. I would tell your co-workers that refuse to run on Friday nights, when you want to give up your run, Don't complain that you're not working, you offered, they refused. And please define "What is a weekend"? Is that 2 days off straight. That's for normal poeple Fishy, we're not normal.:biglaugh:

make everything one board!!!! bid once a year!!!!! what is there to be scared of????

Are you talking about combining L/H, hub and P/D together on one board?

If you are then nothing on my part to be scared of. If they do that then ok by me, I got the whiskers to hold about anything. I've passed on a daytime L/H run before because I needed the bigger miles of my night run to put a kid thru college.

But just for the sake of debate consider the argument against this.....

Take a guy that has chose to run the nights on the road and waited for many years on a daytime L/H run to finally hit. Should a P/D guy that has run nothing but days at home with family at night be able to bump him out of it? I don't think so. The shift difference is very important and must be considered IMO. That is why hardly any company does the one board all across. I don't even think most of the organized outfits do it. I know some do, but very few.
The only ones I know for sure that has one board all the way is ConWay and Averitt. I'm sure there are a few others, but the most of them keep P/D and road seperate.

But if you mean one ROAD board (Hub, L/H and team) together then I agree. All have been working nights and most have had to spend time away from home.

Are you talking about combining L/H, hub and P/D together on one board?

If you are then nothing on my part to be scared of. If they do that then ok by me, I got the whiskers to hold about anything. I've passed on a daytime L/H run before because I needed the bigger miles of my night run to put a kid thru college.

But just for the sake of debate consider the argument against this.....

Take a guy that has chose to run the nights on the road and waited for many years on a daytime L/H run to finally hit. Should a P/D guy that has run nothing but days at home with family at night be able to bump him out of it? I don't think so. The shift difference is very important and must be considered IMO. That is why hardly any company does the one board all across. I don't even think most of the organized outfits do it. I know some do, but very few.
The only one I know for sure that has one board all the way is ConWay. I'm sure there are a few others, but the most of them keep P/D and road seperate.

But if you mean one ROAD board (Hub, L/H and team) together then I agree. All have been working nights and most have had to spend time away from home.

I agree KD with the Hub and L/H thing. I don't really think they'll include teams, due to the fact they want teams to remain together. They cater to teams for that reason. And I don't know that I blame them. If I need teams, then if they want to come home a day early or take an extra day off from time to time, then that's ok.Most of the teams will go anywhere they are ask, as long as they make it home on time.Just my opinion though. Let's keep this going , I think we're getting somewhere with this.:smilie_132:

I agree KD with the Hub and L/H thing. I don't really think they'll include teams, due to the fact they want teams to remain together. They cater to teams for that reason. And I don't know that I blame them. If I need teams, then if they want to come home a day early or take an extra day off from time to time, then that's ok.Most of the teams will go anywhere they are ask, as long as they make it home on time.Just my opinion though. Let's keep this going , I think we're getting somewhere with this.:smilie_132:

Ya they probably will keep the teams the way they are but I don't think they should because then they get trapped with few options. Your right they do try to cater to 'em and they should, that's a hard job they got there.

That's the thing also I think fishydawg is'nt thinking about. With the way it is now a hub driver has no way of getting off the dock when he gets older without going wild for a long time. I saw that early on and got out of hub first chance I got because I saw i was gonna be trapped if I did'nt. I actually liked the work and steady money on the hub, but I did'nt want to be on the pad when I got old. So I jumped at the first E/B spot that came down to me to get into L/H. I figured a few years early on in the bunkhouses would be worth it, and it was.

But with one road board a senior hub guy has a chance to bypass running wild and go straight to a L/H bid schedule. I think that is a fair trade for working the hub dock at night for several years.

Ya they probably will keep the teams the way they are but I don't think they should because then they get trapped with few options. Your right they do try to cater to 'em and they should, that's a hard job they got there.

That's the thing also I think fishydawg is'nt thinking about. With the way it is now a hub driver has no way of getting off the dock when he gets older without going wild for a long time. I saw that early on and got out of hub first chance I got because I saw i was gonna be trapped if I did'nt. I actually liked the work and steady money on the hub, but I did'nt want to be on the pad when I got old. So I jumped at the first E/B spot that came down to me to get into L/H. I figured a few years early on in the bunkhouses would be worth it, and it was.

But with one road board a senior hub guy has a chance to bypass running wild and go straight to a L/H bid schedule. I think that is a fair trade for working the hub dock at night for several years.

No arguement here. Been there, done that, got the jacket and cap.Hub drivers are stuck on the pad, unless they are in a situation where there's only one Hub driver and a bid L/H run comes up and he can get it. My advise to Fishy is, if he wants to get out of the Hub rutt, go E/B, if they do change the bid rules. And there's going to be changes, just a matter of time.

No arguement here. Been there, done that, got the jacket and cap.Hub drivers are stuck on the pad, unless they are in a situation where there's only one Hub driver and a bid L/H run comes up and he can get it. My advise to Fishy is, if he wants to get out of the Hub rutt, go E/B, if they do change the bid rules. And there's going to be changes, just a matter of time.

ya exactly, but if things do change to include hub on the road board he can do either, stay on the hub or run L/H. It's all about giving guys more choices. Lives change so a man should be able to use his seniority to change along with it.

I'm aware of the issue of being at the bottom of the E/B if I wanted to switch. It was explained to me when I was hired 10 yrs ago and I accepted it. I thought about my situation, likes and dislikes and decided to stay hub. Having road drivers(who made A LOT more money for a long time) now want to outbid me on a hub run that they freely admit they will dump when another road run opens up is just striking me wrong. If the road drivers really wanted hub runs, so many of us wouldnt have hired in off of the street for a particular run that EVERY driver in the terminal had passed on when it was posted.

I'm aware of the issue of being at the bottom of the E/B if I wanted to switch. It was explained to me when I was hired 10 yrs ago and I accepted it. I thought about my situation, likes and dislikes and decided to stay hub. Having road drivers(who made A LOT more money for a long time) now want to outbid me on a hub run that they freely admit they will dump when another road run opens up is just striking me wrong. If the road drivers really wanted hub runs, so many of us wouldnt have hired in off of the street for a particular run that EVERY driver in the terminal had passed on when it was posted.

This will be a sticking point when/if this comes about, as l/h drivers don't have to be forklift qualified or have experience to hire on as eb drivers (far as I know). The co will have to figure out a way to treat everybody the same, even though many eb drivers don't have dock experience.

Yes sir point well taken and I do understand what you mean.
Example: I hired in off the street onto the shortest hub run we had 'cause nobody including P/D wanted it. Then a high seniority L/H guy had his run cancelled. . He would have bumped me to E/B but could not because I was protected by the policy we have now. So I know what your saying. I was glad I lucked up, but it did'nt seem right.

But if he had been able to bump me I would have been running wild and I would'nt have been happy about being forced out on E/B. BUT, the low man should be the one bumped to E/B because seniority should rule these cases.
Was it right that a 20+yr. man go wild all week for untold years while me, a 1yr. man, have a steady run? IMO no.

This will be a sticking point when/if this comes about, as l/h drivers don't have to be forklift qualified or have experience to hire on as eb drivers (far as I know). The co will have to figure out a way to treat everybody the same, even though many eb drivers don't have dock experience.

Yep. I tell you a way I have seen it done at another company that I thought was a good way.

All road drivers had to be qualified on lifts to start which is not hard to get done. Then if you have a run under 500 miles and they needed the dock help on the other end, you could clock in and make the extra up for the short run. But if you had a long run then no dock time could be worked. I always thought this was a good way. Then there was no need for hub and L/H seperate boards. Everybody was a road driver. Some worked the dock and some did'nt depending on length of run. It keeps everybodys pay closer, the younger guys break a little frieght and then drive while us old broke down mules bid on the longer runs and just drive all night.

Breaking it down .................
Hub run----really sucks
xtra board-----really sucks
long bid run with layover--- ok
long bid run 1/2 way ------ ok but exhausting
Short bid run----almost the same as being retired

Hub run----really sucks

I can't argue with that math. specially the long 1/2 way..:sleep:

Hub run----really sucks

I like the breakdown, and the order is correct, but to have two that both "really suck" is kind of redundant. How about "Super Sucks!"?

And let's add a couple

Utility driver------*******
City dispatcher-----Sado-Masochism