Estes | Estes east bidding

LOL nobody that knows you at all would say you sound like Barry!
I got a feeling that the ones voting 'keep it the same' are the right place right time folks.
Those guys need to realize there will come a day they wished they had an option to bid on something else. Things changing real fast right now.

you can not keep wanting the same ol same ol when the company is soooo different every 6 months

I think they have realized that BB.They have finally woke up and seen,to compete,you have to change.We are on our way, Now, if the techno bug will bite them in the butt and we move forward with up to date technology.

As far as the drivers,we have come a long way in the last 5 years. Being stuck in a rut for so long ,hampers your thinking about change.I think we are moving in the right direction and so is management.

As far as the drivers,we have come a long way in the last 5 years. Being stuck in a rut for so long ,hampers your thinking about change.I think we are moving in the right direction and so is management.

Yes sir you hit that nail on the head. I was like that for a while thinking that things were fine the way they are and I did'nt want to see any change.
But the thing about it was, was nothing like runs ever changed at our barn either. Company would grow a bit and we would get a new run ever so often, little bit of bidding would happen, then a guy would get off E/B. Bid runs were never cut and life was good.

Now with all these changes in freight lanes to stay competitive runs are changing real fast and the only way to be fair anymore is to give drivers a yearly bid at least. I saw a 35yr. man in our barn this week that lost his schedule and he told me "I'm now the no.1 E/B man in the system, big deal right?"
The junior men need to understand without a yearly bid it could be them in that shape down the line in just a few short years.

I'm glad Richmond is moving fast to adjust to keep our company strong.
Like BB said, this is almost a different co. every 6 months things are moving so fast, but we need to be able to move and adjust with it IMO.

I agree KD. If we are to change,we need to adjust on an average of 2 to 3 times a year.Techno wise,what you purchase yoday,is obsolete in 6 months.We got a lot of ground to make up,in a very short period of time.

Like I said before TWO BOARDS CITY AND ROAD get rid of the hub/linehaul thing and bid by Seniority.
Then I could get one of these new Hub runs they keep adding on while they get rid of the Linehaul runs.

The thing I see is big breaks are making out great it is the ones that are around the breaks that are suffering.
Sat home 3 days in the last two weeks, been here 8 years but it is nice to see those guys that only got a year or two working everyday still. Glad for em.

Somebody mentioned 28 years in the Freight buisness and has never seen so much B.S., I agree.

Like I said before TWO BOARDS CITY AND ROAD get rid of the hub/linehaul thing and bid by Seniority.
Then I could get one of these new Hub runs they keep adding on while they get rid of the Linehaul runs.

The thing I see is big breaks are making out great it is the ones that are around the breaks that are suffering.
Sat home 3 days in the last two weeks, been here 8 years but it is nice to see those guys that only got a year or two working everyday still. Glad for em.

Somebody mentioned 28 years in the Freight buisness and has never seen so much B.S., I agree.

I'll agree with the Road and City boards.I have to disagree with bidding by seniority. You remain,you work hard and you feel more confident with seniority bidding for companies.It kinda gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside to know if something happens to your run, you know the bid process will benefit you in the end.IMO.I would like to hear how you would do it and be fair at the same time.Everyone here has an opinion.Maybe yours will give some constructive ideas.I have heard the only fair way to do it,would be to bid by company seniority.But, that creates problems also.You would have city drivers with seniority,coming out and bidding on linehaul runs.Don't take me wrong,I was a city driver for 14 years,I have nothing against city drivers bidding on runs. But only when all linehaul drivers have bidded.This is very healthy to discuss these things as we move ahead, to benefit the driver and the company.

No you keep City and Road seperate, that is two different things. But when I am Linehaul and have worked the Hub covering runs etc. and then get told I can not bid on a Hub run.
The problem is I would have bid on a Hub run years back if I only knew what they were gonna do to the Linehaul side of things.
I would not expect them to let Linehaul bid on Hub, believe that would never happen.
Richmond shows me more and more evertyday they don't care how much they hurt drivers around here these days.
Just look at all these guys sitting in terminals waiting to go somewhere while during the day you see what Richmond really wants, Covenant, Us Express, etc going in and out of terminal getting them big miles.
But then again its not my company so I've heard it already "you just don't see the big picture" well I see me moving on to bigger and better things then the Big E, I've had more then I can handle.

If they are looking for an easy fix. Company senority is the only way I see it. How is it different when you do the same thing. If you drive and unload or if you drive and drop it's still driving.

If they are looking for an easy fix. Company senority is the only way I see it. How is it different when you do the same thing. If you drive and unload or if you drive and drop it's still driving.

who can argue a hire in date? I just don't see the issue no matter where you are at in the pecking order. It comes down to whats right, and whats wrong. If i get shuffled to extra by guys with more time with the company, then I really don't have much I can say, But sitting home 2-3 nights a week while guys with 1-3 yrs less senority are running bid runs. It's BS.

Nothing like haveing a company tell you X amount of years, well it just don't count. So I guess them years I was helping in the city, hub, etc (often at the request of a TM) were of no value to the company. Nice slap in the face IMO. Especially when they force you to a new board and your senority starts all over and a guy who's been here for a week now out bids you.. It's not right....

No you keep City and Road seperate, that is two different things. But when I am Linehaul and have worked the Hub covering runs etc. and then get told I can not bid on a Hub run.
The problem is I would have bid on a Hub run years back if I only knew what they were gonna do to the Linehaul side of things.
I would not expect them to let Linehaul bid on Hub, believe that would never happen.
Richmond shows me more and more evertyday they don't care how much they hurt drivers around here these days.
Just look at all these guys sitting in terminals waiting to go somewhere while during the day you see what Richmond really wants, Covenant, Us Express, etc going in and out of terminal getting them big miles.
But then again its not my company so I've heard it already "you just don't see the big picture" well I see me moving on to bigger and better things then the Big E, I've had more then I can handle.

I misunderstood what you were getting at.I'd go for that.No problems from me.But I do think you need to give this some time before you leave us.There are things coming down the pike that may just fix your problem.But,if you think that is what you need to do, then all I can say is Good luck.We've got a severe case of growing pains right now and I believe that good things are yet to come.

What about if a driver comes over from the city tell him he has to run extra for a year . Kind of like a probationary period. I am going to see how things shake out, but if it remains the way it is it may be time to move on, dont see any future in the current model.

There is no "probationary period" on linehaul and there can't be one. The policy is in place the way they like it.And from my standpoint,for the most part,it's fair. With the exception of a senior drivers' run being cancelled and not being able to re-bid.Why do you work hard,stay up late and at times drive in bad conditions. Before I get jumped on,I've been in both places.At the top and at the bottom. It made me feel better,for under whatever circumstances,after I got to the top and EARNED my place on linehaul or city.Whether you or I,like it,or dislike it,it has to be a policy of some sort.

I Just threw that out there as another alternative as it seems some drivers want to go by company time. If for whatever reason they decide to go by company time, that way if a driver moves to linehaul out of the city then he doesn't immediately screw road bids up.

I think the reason that they don't want to use total company time is,city drivers and linehaul would be flip flopping every year. I am number 2 in company time at my barn.I would not be interested in a city position.I'm older and the knees aren't the same when I did run the city.It will probably remain the same as it is now,until they come up with something else.I like the Road and City board idea..That seems fair.But Hub drivers would need to be paid the same mileage pay as linehaul,plus their dock time.If they would set mileage requirements on the runs ,that would be the way to go.In other words if your run is 450 miles or less, it"s mandatory the driver work the dock.If it is 451 miles or more you have the option or if it were necessary the driver work the dock, the Hub supervisor would have to sign and approve your hours.I think,I may be wrong, but FedEX Freight has that implemented for their drivers.

I think the reason that they don't want to use total company time is,city drivers and linehaul would be flip flopping every year. I am number 2 in company time at my barn.I would not be interested in a city position.I'm older and the knees aren't the same when I did run the city.It will probably remain the same as it is now,until they come up with something else.I like the Road and City board idea..That seems fair.But Hub drivers would need to be paid the same mileage pay as linehaul,plus their dock time.If they would set mileage requirements on the runs ,that would be the way to go.In other words if your run is 450 miles or less, it"s mandatory the driver work the dock.If it is 451 miles or more you have the option or if it were necessary the driver work the dock, the Hub supervisor would have to sign and approve your hours.I think,I may be wrong, but FedEX Freight has that implemented for their drivers.

seemes to me the only fair way to it would be by length of time served...at that barn...and as far as city goes length of time would only count when it comes time to bid on a road run...and if a position comes open on the road, rebid the whole road at that particular barn. this way a road man can move up and a city guy can go to the road if he wants. imo hub guys and road men are the same and should be paid the same....just because they run shorter distances dosen't mean

seemes to me the only fair way to it would be by length of time served...at that barn...and as far as city goes length of time would only count when it comes time to bid on a road run...and if a position comes open on the road, rebid the whole road at that particular barn. this way a road man can move up and a city guy can go to the road if he wants. imo hub guys and road men are the same and should be paid the same....just because they run shorter distances dosen't mean

they should make less...in fact they work the same hours and some of those guys put in a lot of miles.

they should make less...in fact they work the same hours and some of those guys put in a lot of miles.

and as far as extra board goes it should be a bid also...instead of a convienent place to dump road drivers when their run gets cancelled. and imo the company should rebid as often as it feels necessary at any particular barn at any time as the need arises to keep the company or that particular barn profitable and fill traffic lanes or delete traffic lanes as is necessary. nobody can argue with length of time served.....and i believe managment reserves the right through evaluations as to weather any employee is doing the job as it should be done....................I think that covers everything:clap: