Estes | Estes hindsight

motocross25

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys. I have a lil bit of a dilemma I was hoping someone could help me with. A few months ago my local Estes barn (St. Louis) had an ad on the website for a utility driver. I applied, got called in for an interview the following week, showed my MVR, endorsements and OSHA forklift qualifications and was asked to drug test and physical.. No prob. That all came back I was offered the job. Accepted, watched the videos, filled out paperwork and was told to call back after my 2 weeks with my current employer for a start time the following monday. In that time me and my wife were going over finances and saw it may not be fit to take on Cobra insurance for a few months as we had a little daughter due in a few months before insurance kicked in. So i called Estes and respectfully declined the position. The TM was very nice about it said thanks for letting them know and not just not show up and we said our goodbyes. The what-if's will not stop running through my mind I wanted that job SO bad and had it and had to turn it down. My question is this, in your opinion of the company, if they re-post in spring with the upturn of freight (hopefully) would it be wise to contact the TM and ask if its okay to re-apply? or has my ship sailed and I missed the opportunity of a lifetime? Thanks in advance for your replies and be safe.

You'll be ok. Every tm I've met were the coolest guys. Tell him what you told us about the newborn and the expensive cobra. Check with your state about baby care. Georgia has this thing called, "peach care." Its a medical coverage for your kids. It would cover everything until your Estes insurance kicks in.

Thanks everyone to the quick responses. I really do appreciate it. I'm really glad I stumbled upon this forum dedicated to LTL and not a bajillion OTR guys pissin and moanin about the same thing over and over this is great. Well I'll stop babbling thanks again to those who replied and hopefully I'll see u out there soon! Be safe

Thanks everyone to the quick responses. I really do appreciate it. I'm really glad I stumbled upon this forum dedicated to LTL and not a bajillion OTR guys pissin and moanin about the same thing over and over this is great. Well I'll stop babbling thanks again to those who replied and hopefully I'll see u out there soon! Be safe
Ten four. Good luck and keep us posted. Welcome to the best truckingboard site, glad you found us.

Utility is the hardest spot for terminals to fill..... if you reapplied for the same, you should be a shoe in, as he already has your info, and you qualify.....big thing now- adays, alot of guys don't

Awesome thanks for the encouraging words rjjr. Thats kinda what I was thinkin too that might speed up the hiring process since they already have my info and i watched all the training videos and bla bla. Thats cool man I keep checkin everyday hoping for a posting. They jumped on me pretty quick the first time, I was kinda surprised. Im only 24 and dont have a TON of doubles experience but i do have some. But like i said I have a clean MVR and can pass a drug test no problem so I guess thats the main thing. This winter helped too pullin wiggles in the snow :S yikes.

I didn't have any double experience when I started here. I was looking for some dogs when they said pups. lol

Hey Motocross25 I was just on Estes site and its showing a Utility job at the St. Louis yard. Don't know how old this posting is but you might want to jump on it right away. Let us know how it turns out. Good utility drivers are always needed at the Big E.

i wouldnt worry to much about it. you are not missing anything. not a big deal working here . just a job.

It may be just a job but I made over 2 grand last week doing something that I would do for free. I love working here. I remember saying I would never be a company driver years ago. I never thought it would be this good...... but that's me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just gettin on here to update my situation, and I saw ur post BuzzBeez thank you so much for the heads up. I saw the Utilty position open up a few days ago and jumped on it. I called them TM the next morning and told him the situation etc., he said he understands, he is kinda swamped right now with the snow we got in STL but he assured me he would pull up my application on file to refresh his memory and give me a call the beginning part of this week. Fantastic news. Hopefully i hear from him soon. Soon as I told him who I was and jogged his memory a bit I didn't hear a click and a dial tone so I guess thats a mark in the win column lol. Thanks to everyone for the advice and the tips it is GREATLY appreciated. I hope to hear something Monday, Wednesday at the latest and I'll keep everyone updated. Wish me luck hope I did not blow it the first time!! ANd Mildew that's unreal money thats great, what position do you have with Estes? Tell me Utility :)

Last edited by a moderator:
...Check your PM box (notifications) at the top. Good luck. They don't get in no hurry here so be patient

Well friends just a quick update. I got in touch with the STL barn and was asked to please come in and fill out a paper application. Got that done and was contacted on Friday and asked if I could please come in Monday to speak with the TM and to bring my driving record. No sweat there either thats clean as a whistle. So hopefully with the speedy call back thats a good sign. Wish me luck have a good weekend all!!

Remember, we are the hand picked elete fleet. It can take 2-5 weeks to get processed. Lol .. good luck

Since this is Utility its likely the TM has something lined up and will probably expedite the hiring process. I'm betting you'll go to a hub terminal, work the dock, and return to STL every morning. Maybe Indy or Bloomington?

Ya you called it BuzzBeez they said they're lookin to get a Utility guy in there pretty quick so expect a quick response. And it was not even 24 hours later and i got the call in for a follow up interview. This is all wonderful news to me I'm ready. I don't care if they have me scrubbin toilets I'm ready to get rollin with a good company!

No scrubbing toilets here. They're needing P+D in STL too according to the web site. TM should tell you tomorrow exactly what he needs. Just keep in mind, the farther they send you, the less dock work you gotta do. P+D is for the most part a rat race for less money, but the trade off is more home time like normal people and sleeping at night.

Utility is pretty much an on call 24/7 at our barn. Bags need to be packed and ready to go at all times. Most of the time they have their schedule made out the week before.