Estes | Estes hindsight

Well guys went in for my drug test and physical. He said they were lookin to get a utility guy that can stick around close maybe run out work the dock a little bit and turn back. and also would be able to cover longer haul runs. That's fine with me I'll do anything and everything. He said give it a couple days wait for the drug test and background check to come back and he will be in touch :) SWEEET! what does the background check consist of? Not that I'm worried about it in any aspect but is it driving record or more callin your past employers? Just curious. I'll keep everyone posted lets hope I hear something by weeks end!

Well guys went in for my drug test and physical. He said they were lookin to get a utility guy that can stick around close maybe run out work the dock a little bit and turn back. and also would be able to cover longer haul runs. That's fine with me I'll do anything and everything. He said give it a couple days wait for the drug test and background check to come back and he will be in touch :) SWEEET! what does the background check consist of? Not that I'm worried about it in any aspect but is it driving record or more callin your past employers? Just curious. I'll keep everyone posted lets hope I hear something by weeks end!

Sounds good. Getting your foot in the door is the main thing. You'll probably see little dock time. As far as I know they don't use the dac system on the background. They may check you out to see if you don't have any armed robberys or something like that, maybe a credit check is done, don't know for sure. Good to hear they got the ball rolling. Utility is a good position in a large terminal. Most drivers cringe when they hear the word, "dock!" Which leaves the door open for the good employees. .don't be afraid to ask questions. .. congratz

I can only speak for myself, but motocross have an open mind. I didn't had a lot of negative stuff happen right a way got mad and quit. The paychecks are nice if that is all your are looking for. I regret doing things the way I did, now I tell myself it is all for my family Good luck Motocross

Thanks Mildew ya I'll work the dock if thats what they want thats fine with me. I understand payin my dues first and workin my way up. I'm pretty excited about it, and like u said Utility at a big barn like STL I'm hopin too to be able to branch off into all sorts of stuff. But we'll let those cards fall where they may. ANd dlance71 thanks for the advice, I try to keep an open mind about most things and I'm a pretty up-beat kinda guy. Hope all is goin well for you now man.

St louis is a good location. I think it's a 600 mile round trip to Nashville (Smyrna) and back. I ran that many times out of Nashville. Days that are slack it pays to show up at the terminal and check if they have something like that to run.

Thanks for the tip Mildew I'll definately do that.. if i ever get the call that is.. still have not heard anything back yet. Granted its only been a week but I was really hopin to hear something I'm gettin anxious..hopefully Monday I suppose

Thanks for the tip Mildew I'll definately do that.. if i ever get the call that is.. still have not heard anything back yet. Granted its only been a week but I was really hopin to hear something I'm gettin anxious..hopefully Monday I suppose
They won't waste your time. Each dept has to sign off on your app then send it back. Its a slow process but they will call you. ...I wasn't kiddin about the 2 - 5 weeks.

Well friends just got the call.. TM said he got the paperwork and approval back today so its a go!! My first day is March 7 I can't wait. I am to call him the friday before and he'll tell me what time to be there and all that good stuff. I wanna thank everyone who helped and all the points of advice and encouragement it is greatly appreciated. Especially Mildew and BuzzBeez thanks a TON guys. If anyone has any ideas on what to expect my first day please feel free to lemme know. I dunno if I'll get thrown right into the fire or if it's an orientation type deal the first day. Either way I'm super pumped and I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes! Be careful and see ya out there!!

What did you hire on for? Hub you will run with someone for a week or so get the hang of it, gas card and all that good stuff maybe run the city a bit. I was linehaul extra did 2 full weeks in the city and then was put on linehaul relay for 2 weeks until I got a truck. It can be a slow process depending on your tm and home office. Motocross it sounds like you and I are in the same spot right now eager to work no matter what the job is good luck. I may not be an E driver anymore but if you have questions feel free.

Congradulations motocross. 1st day will be paper signing and maybe a film. You'll probably ride around with someone for a week or less. Then you'll be on your own. Remember if your unsure, ask. Check all your permits in your truck, ifta, cab card, insurance card and throw that little orange hazmat book in there somewhere. Goodluck.
Also, you'll probably figure out these tm's are not rocket scientists in a few minutes. They delegate most of their work. If you have a question about payroll, ask payroll. ..questions about driving ask a driver. Etc

Sweet that does not sound too bad thanks for the replies. And Dlance I'm comin on as a Utility driver. And ya i can't wait to get to work with what sounds like a great company. Thanks for the tips Mildew I was thinkin of gettin a briefcase type deal that i can stow documents in and the HazMat book and maybe the big E manual in case i need to look up who to call in case of breakdown etc., One more question then I'll shut up, are Utility drivers assigned tractors? Not that it matters I'll drive a toaster that says Estes if it has wheels just another question that popped in mind

Yes since your are utility driver you will probably get a million miler with no ac, depending on how far you may go. I was given a newer International with 600k, interior lights didn't work and was 4 months over due on pm, but motorcross you have the mind set I didn't you will be fine just remember it is there truck so just drive it and keep breakdown number handy.

Equipment issue here is just the luck of the draw. From my experience the larger the terminal the worse the truck. Example- last week I had an 8100 with well over a million+ slinging oil everywhere. This week its a fairly new ex Penske unit from a guy on medical leave. Point is that without an assigned unit you may end up with anything that starts.
Keeping it running is the fun part once you're out the gate. Just don't be too dissapointed when you see what you get. I know some weeks when I see what I'm stuck with it would be easy to turn around + just go back home.

I see I see thanks for answering my questions. The few times I went in to the terminal theres all sorts of trucks sittin around. New, old, sleeper, single axle, tandem so that just got me thinkin as to what was what. The last time I was there though man, they had freight all over the place, trailers in the door and hustlin and bustlin. Lookin at all that freight that had to be moved I almost had to change my pants. I can't WAIT to get runnin. Hows things in your guys' area? I saw Mildew had posted his terminal was lookin for weekend work that sounds like a good sign that the winter slump is startin to drop off. Sign me up!

Well guys just a quick update. I called the TM today, as requested, to see what time I was to report Monday. He told me the Utility guys in STL cover city and road runs, and asked what area I would be interested in. I was surprised I was given the option being brand new, but told him road. He said alright no problem if thats the case come in Monday morning about 8, they're gonna get my new hire paperwork goin and watch a couple safety vids, then I head back home, catch some z's and hop in with who will be training me later that night. He said the guy training me turns Chicago everynight. So I'll go with him this upcoming week, and he said next week they'll cut me loose. I'm soo ready. I dunno if I'll be drivin at first, or at all, my first week or what to expect but I'm pumped. I'm sure I'll drive my trainer nucking futs cuz I have alot of questions, and he'll probably tell me to tuck and roll and kick my a&^ out around Springfield. haha but whatever inquiring minds want to know right? Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted, hope everyone had a good, safe, productive week, and have a good weekend I'll be out there with ya Monday night!!

Well guys just a quick update. I called the TM today, as requested, to see what time I was to report Monday. He told me the Utility guys in STL cover city and road runs, and asked what area I would be interested in. I was surprised I was given the option being brand new, but told him road. He said alright no problem if thats the case come in Monday morning about 8, they're gonna get my new hire paperwork goin and watch a couple safety vids, then I head back home, catch some z's and hop in with who will be training me later that night. He said the guy training me turns Chicago everynight. So I'll go with him this upcoming week, and he said next week they'll cut me loose. I'm soo ready. I dunno if I'll be drivin at first, or at all, my first week or what to expect but I'm pumped. I'm sure I'll drive my trainer nucking futs cuz I have alot of questions, and he'll probably tell me to tuck and roll and kick my a&^ out around Springfield. haha but whatever inquiring minds want to know right? Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted, hope everyone had a good, safe, productive week, and have a good weekend I'll be out there with ya Monday night!!
Good deal. Program yourself to stay awake all night. Try and get some rest Monday when you get home. The road was a good choice.

Thanks Mildew. Ya I will try. I can adapt pretty well I bounced around alot at my other job between day routes and our night shuttle runs when those guys were off because we were always short handed. But i don't have to worry about foodservice routes anymore! :Omg_I_gets_present_

Man that's that guys job to help answer your questions. And if he is with you you will be more than likely driving. Back in the day I was a triples trainer at Estes.
Good job on getting on Estes. Most employees are happy. I say most lol. They are a company you can retire at.
Good luck.