Estes | Estes hindsight

Well all just toolin around waiting to go in for my second day. My first night went great. I went with the trainer who turns Chicago (**** I think he said actually) My trainer was really nice and told me alot of good need to know stuff and kept askin if I had any more questions. Alotta times I did. We did have to wait a little while for paperwork. Turns out some of the people in there, thats the worst thing you could ever do is make them wait haha It could not have been more than 1/2 hour and I'll hang out and watch the chaos that is dock operations, beats dragging groceries up steps. My trainer did fill me in on a nice little nugget of information though. Seems like St Louis (064) is moving not only about 30 miles closer to my house, but they're changing status from an end-of-the-line terminal, to a break bulk/hub. He said really, I could not of picked a better time to join up. Apparently the move is to take place this summer and scheduled runs are just suppose to blow up. So if I do decide I want a nice scheduled run maybe I will get the op, and if not least I can cover for them! Well I think I'm gonna make some lunch and hang out with wifey. Be safe all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well all just toolin around waiting to go in for my second day. My first night went great. I went with the trainer who turns Chicago (**** I think he said actually) My trainer was really nice and told me alot of good need to know stuff and kept askin if I had any more questions. Alotta times I did. We did have to wait a little while for paperwork. Turns out some of the people in there, thats the worst thing you could ever do is make them wait haha It could not have been more than 1/2 hour and I'll hang out and watch the chaos that is dock operations, beats dragging groceries up steps. My trainer did fill me in on a nice little nugget of information though. Seems like St Louis (064) is moving not only about 30 miles closer to my house, but they're changing status from an end-of-the-line terminal, to a break bulk/hub. He said really, I could not of picked a better time to join up. Apparently the move is to take place this summer and scheduled runs are just suppose to blow up. So if I do decide I want a nice scheduled run maybe I will get the op, and if not least I can cover for them! Well I think I'm gonna make some lunch and hang out with wifey. Be safe all!

Sounds real good motocross. The more scheduled runs you have at your barn, the busier you'll be. At least you will have different schedules where it would take care of the monotony. Lol

Thanks Mildew. Ya thats kinda what I'm thinkin too I might just stay put and get to run around more and break things up a bit. But again this is all a ways a way and I'll just have to see what the Big E has in store for me. My trainer told me today the money he makes on his run, and some of the other runs.... think I'll stay here awhile:grouphug:

Since I'm sure you're doing most of the driving, is you're trainer getting his proper rest? Sometimes those guys have a hard time stayin awake over there in that jump seat. Good to hear its going well. Let us know when they turn you loose.

O ya he definately does not have any trouble resting thats for sure. I think they're suppose to cut me loose next week, but my trainer said they'll probably have me ride with someone somewhere to grab a truck, everything in STL is spoken for. Sounds like things are really expanding, rumor now is after corporate moves Indy to their new terminal and get them set up they're comin straight down here to get us in our new barn. I guess time will tell. Hows everyone else's week goin so far?

What's with all this "trainer" stuff?? When they started me, I went for my road test, came back, took my break, and was out in my own truck that night. They completely threw me to the wolves. I thought it was a "learn when you screw it up" thing. I was never even shown how to break and hook a set.
I'm not complaining though. I wouldn't want to drive a guy around for a week either.:TR10driving03:

if they told yo u to much info to start with, littledawg, you would not have felt at home. lol but that is a bad thing tho, seems you learn most of your stuff the hard way or by having to ask someone. you probably had ltl experience coming in and like they told me... that's good enough...hit the road

Well my first week as an Estonian is behind me and, so far, I like what I see. I'm set up to get my fuel card, employee number and truck Monday then I get thrown to the wolves. Not a bad week at all did over 3k miles so my first check should be quit nice. I dunno how many miles to expect or what right off the bat, but I'm not worried about it. I'm glad I have my foot in the door. Everyone's at 064 is just kinda going through the motions right now it seems as gossip and rumors about the move rum rampant. I guess the move might reclassify STL as a breakbulk/hub so the scheduled runs are suppose to skyrocket. Right now I believe we have 7. Maybe 11? I really don't remember what he said I'm just a noob. Anyway I'll keep everyone posted on how the first week solo went when I get back. Have a good weekend all, and be careful this week

What's with all this "trainer" stuff?? When they started me, I went for my road test, came back, took my break, and was out in my own truck that night. They completely threw me to the wolves. I thought it was a "learn when you screw it up" thing. I was never even shown how to break and hook a set.
I'm not complaining though. I wouldn't want to drive a guy around for a week either.:TR10driving03:

same here sink or swim they told me

I guess I'm still treading water..lol
It's just odd that you only find out how things work if you screw it up.
I guess it's on the job training.

Well so far this week, I have been sticking around town doing city work. I was assigned a truck. It's an older style International, but it gets the job done. It's not near as noisy or bulky as I had thought, so I'm not worried about it. I'm glad to be working. St Louis is a little low on the p&d manpower so I been helpin out there. I'm not trained yet on the handheld, so I've just been doing bulk stops, and trailer swaps. So its not too bad. They told me today I'll finish out the week in the city, and then next week hit the road. Its not bad, the home time is good and it has not been too stressful, hittin our larger account docks and swappin out trailers. I'm sure if I was full blown city tryin to find the littler places and clunkin around town that would be a different story, but for now not too bad. Hopefully I'll be able to hit the road next week and start cashin in!

Good deal! Things are slow this week on the road. I seen the stocks are falling. May be from the Japan drama, but hey, It's a 5 paycheck month since we get paid on Thursday now. Free vacation week. ... Glad things are going well.

It may depend on the terminal or maybe direct deposit goes in earlier but next month is a 5 Friday month

Well so far this week, I have been sticking around town doing city work. I was assigned a truck. It's an older style International, but it gets the job done. It's not near as noisy or bulky as I had thought, so I'm not worried about it. I'm glad to be working. St Louis is a little low on the p&d manpower so I been helpin out there. I'm not trained yet on the handheld, so I've just been doing bulk stops, and trailer swaps. So its not too bad. They told me today I'll finish out the week in the city, and then next week hit the road. Its not bad, the home time is good and it has not been too stressful, hittin our larger account docks and swappin out trailers. I'm sure if I was full blown city tryin to find the littler places and clunkin around town that would be a different story, but for now not too bad. Hopefully I'll be able to hit the road next week and start cashin in!

Well, how's it going?