Estes | Estes Jockey Position vs FXF Driver Apprentice

OP was between FXF and Estes. You could state all the great things about Estes and let them speak for themselves.

Let me be clear. Estes chooses to pay less for work done and in over all pay package than the competition. Which competition? Clearly not Central or others in the same vein but FXF OD Dayton USPF XPO. By restacking driver seats with starting wages Estes keeps costs down, fact. New drivers can play smash em up derby at the terminals cause the terminals and equipment are junk yards. It is a model that many trucking companies use, for example SWIFT, JB Hunt, Schnieder, Werner, Central Transport, Saia, R L, Estes.

Bunk rooms. Wonderful first class bunk rooms. LOL

You make it sound as though the way Estes runs it's business is bad. The way Estes runs it's business is not new. Remember the more a trucking company pays you, the more they expect. Meet runs where drivers wait hours at meet point is common. Drivers take naps before getting to meet point. Driver on other end waits with no pay. Estes does nothing. Why? Estes would rather lose the hard runner than the driver who will stick around longer cause he is not hassled.

If I went on trip review and gave bad reviews for Motel 6 treating me like a 2 star motel, that would be stupid. On the other hand if I went to the Hilton and was treated like I was at Motel 6 that would be a problem for Hilton. Estes knows they are third rate. Estes makes no bones about it. Did I mention bunk rooms? LOL

Estes sounds like a great fit for you. I was responding to someone who I thought was looking for honest answers about Estes compared to FXF.

Bunk rooms. Wonderful first class bunk rooms. LOL

You make it sound as though the way Estes runs it's business is bad.

LOL WTF kind of jedi mind trick are you trying to pull? I'm not the one bashing Estes, I. defending them, genius. This is like the third time you've said something and turned my defense around on me an try to say I'm bashing them. My entire last post was me defending them, not trying to make them look bad..I dont know what kind of poor reading comprehension you have.

First, I've never stayed in a bunkroom at Estes. Im certain they are none in the region I run. Every motel I've stayed in has been pretty nice, save for one.

Secondly, pretty much everything you mentioned happens at every single LTL, waiting at meet point, rookie drivers who dont care, blah blah blah. OD hires drivers right out of school who play bash em up as you like to say. Nearly everything you point out about Estes happens at every other LTL. There are plenty of carriers who dont pay for the nickel and dime stuff. Hell OD doesnt pay OT until 60. Are they third rate too?

I recall a memo posted at the terminals a couple years back. It stated that Estes was going into debt to buy trucks because the fleet was so old. LOL That was so true. Those trucks were junk. Anyways, there goes your no debt theory.

I recall a memo posted at the terminals a couple years back. It stated that Estes was going into debt to buy trucks because the fleet was so old. LOL That was so true. Those trucks were junk. Anyways, there goes your no debt theory.

I can't speak to memos from past years, but my son started with Estes a year and a half ago. I work in a completely different industry and had never heard of Estes. I was a little concerned so my boss had our credit & collections dept. run a D&B on Estes for me. Bottom line, he said if they ever contacted us about our services, we'd be asking them how big of an order can we provide them with and will they please take it tomorrow LOL. IOW, they have exceptionally good credit, better than most of the companies we do business with. I wonder how many other companies in the logistics field can measure up to that. Plus, not being a public company, they are not subject to Wall Street BS.

Any company as big as Estes is going to have F-ups, it comes with the territory. Estes definitely has deep pockets. I'm also impressed that they pay for a corporate chaplain.

Yeah? I never said they dont EVER take on debt. They dont run on debt like YRC.

Trucking boards has moms keeping up on the posts and debates. That was quick response mom, must have a lot of down time to keep up on trucking forums. Thanks for the second hand info from someone not even in the industry. LOL

I just have to say fedex is prob the better choice. But to say that estes keeps short runs to keep cost down isn’t true. It’s more likely they have short runs they need to get done so they sing newbies to a 2 year contract to keep em around.

I just have to say fedex is prob the better choice. But to say that estes keeps short runs to keep cost down isn’t true. It’s more likely they have short runs they need to get done so they sing newbies to a 2 year contract to keep em around.
Since when did they sign drivers to a contract?

Are you refering to drivers they train to obtain a CDL? If so that's pretty standard..Also has zero to do with short runs, as a new driver you're almost certain to run extraboard. Doing that you'll get all kinds of miles.

Stepping stone?.You're talking like estes is central freight or R&L. Maybe that's the case for city but linehaul I know a crazy amount of driver who have put in many years here.

Also, just because FXF pays overtime after 40 doesnt mean you will actually get overtime. I've talked to several of their drivers, and at their respective terminals they try very hard to not let drivers get OT. Of course there will be exceptions at shorthanded terminals but this appears to be a conpanywide thing.

As for road drivers, new guys will have to endure years and years of short runs on the extraboard and working the dock like your an XPO driver. Screw all that. New guys at some Estes terminals are literally walking into scheduled runs because we are growing so fast.

I"m not at all saying that FXF is a bad company to work for. I bet they are great. I'd probably like working there. But this talk that Estes is some third rate carrier to work for is crazy. Linehaul pay is competitive with everyone outside of UPSF. I never sit at home. Literally never had my run cut or sat at home while on extraboard. That happens a lot everywhere else, just ask a UPSF driver.
This all depends where you are at, at small Barn's you definitely are not going to walk into a schedule run. FedEx Freight has a whole lot better Linehaul plan that is more Driver friendly. You talk about Xtraboard , that consist of being out a week at a time
And not getting compensated for any wait time. FedEx pays for wait time , fueling, better drop and hook etc. The choice is clear
In my opinion.

Since when did they sign drivers to a contract?

Are you refering to drivers they train to obtain a CDL? If so that's pretty standard..Also has zero to do with short runs, as a new driver you're almost certain to run extraboard. Doing that you'll get all kinds of miles.
Ok yea I’m suppose to go to school soon and il have to sign a 2 year contract and I have no idea what there gonna have me doing which is scary.

You are the one complaining about short runs. I was pointing out how younger people see it more profitable to go to the competition to run short runs. Why? Because they will be paid more for time spent. I brought up the long runs because when one is on a long run, one does not care as much about all the little things that add up. On a longer run you are paid for most of ones time. I responded to a question asked on trucking boards, gave a honest answer. Estes knows all this. They don't pay more to keep drivers. It is a fact.

When companies pay more, they expect more. Notice how Estes doesn't expect much. They are aware of where they stand with the competition when it comes to pay. Just driving down the interstate you can see the competitions yards. Lights are bright, roomy, equipment not destroyed. Now compare that to Estes yards, not even close. You smash a trailer at Estes you just added to the art work. No room to get around, dark and pot holes galore. Should I mention the stinking filthy bathrooms. Don't worry cause the dispatcher behind the window is a class act who will treat you with dignity and respect. LOL

Third rate indeed but cream of the third rate. Keep it up. There is more where this came from.
It obvious that you don't work for Estes so if you don't work there please keep your comments to your self because your making an ass out of your self. Estes pays very well. I see drivers pay at Estes. They are making over $2100 a week guy. So no matter what other LTL carriers are paying at the end. There all paying the same. Short haulgs they all got them do I need to name the carriers. Especially in the Northeast. Estes pays just as much as Old Dominion And Saia so what. So FedEx might not be the right choice. Because when you start you are extra which means you might not work. Same as UPS. Estes don't play those games you'll run day 1. I'm at $78000 and its only October. So do that sound like a third rate company? Ask a Saia or Old Dominion driver there wages will be the same no higher. Stupid ass.

I love how you turned it around on me. Never once did I complain about short runs. You said estes keeps drivers on short runs to keep costs down. Your words. Not mine. So dont turn this around on me.

Allow me.to explain to you the way Estes runs things. They dont carry much if any debt. At all. We can go down through history and name dozens, if not hundreds of trucking companies brought down by excessive debt. Yes, to do this estes typically doesn't have the nicest big and shiny terminals on the block. I'll give you that. Do they have a lot of older trailers and dollys? Yes

But I rarely, if ever have equipment problems with trailers or dollys. I had one airline blow out on a dolly and a few blown tires. Now that's par for the course, you are going to have those issues at any company. Unavoidable.

The tractors I have run for linehaul have been just fine. They tend to keep us in newish tractors. Cant speak for city guys. They do tend to have to run older stuff, but again, this is no different than any other LTL carrier.

In summation, to keep debt low to nonexistent, they to have to stretch on somethings like facilities and equipment(mostly trailers). As long as my tractor runs fine, is legal, and everything will pass a DOT, im.good..What difference does it make if the trailer I pull is shiny or not?

As long as.my check.clears every week im good. I've made more.money here for less hassle than anywhere else I ever worked. I ran for saia before I came here. They have shiny terminals and a brand new fleet. Guess what? They are also A-holes, will.crawl up your butt about everything, you'll sit at home when it's slow, and they dont pay any better than estes.

Estes ain't perfect, I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else that it is, but I'm strongly making a case that your third rate argument is BS. There arent many LTL carriers I'd rate high up that id rather work for. But there are a long list of them I'd never work for.
Estes is doing very well in pay. They treat there drivers well and they run the he'll out of you. Unlike some LTL carriers. There not perfect but what company is. OD and Saia waits on our raises to determin there pay raise. So if you ask me ill say Estes is ok with me. As far as drivers leaving you can't use that as a reason why Estes is not a good company. Drivers leaves for there own reason. They leave Saia,OD,UPS.YRC,USF. To come to Estes as well. We takes each other drivers. So if you ask me that's competition. Which means we are competitors. You Ghost I don't know what you are saying.

This all depends where you are at, at small Barn's you definitely are not going to walk into a schedule run. FedEx Freight has a whole lot better Linehaul plan that is more Driver friendly. You talk about Xtraboard , that consist of being out a week at a time
And not getting compensated for any wait time. FedEx pays for wait time , fueling, better drop and hook etc. The choice is clear
In my opinion.
Might I add P& D is a joke , plan and simple.

Why would I post on here if I didn't work here? I thought I brought up some good points to consider when choosing between FXF and Estes. Also turnover rate has always been one of the main factors in deciding where to work in trucking. Don't blame me for being mad about how Estes runs it's business. Have you ever heard of not killing the messenger, you might need him to send back a message. Look it, you call me names and then expect to be taken seriously. You act like the way you are managed at this company, Rise above the way Estes lets middle management treat it's drivers. Bunk rooms on schedules, no pay to wait, no pay to fuel, drop and hook pay has been the same for at least 15 yrs, giving line haul runs to hub drivers and making xtra board drivers wait longer for a run, nepotism in the worst way. Keep it up there is more where this came from. Don't tell me to leave Estes, I've earned my run and I'm not leaving. I was responding to a gentleman who was wise to ask questions before he made a decision. You can state your reasons why it's so great and let it stand on it's own, if it has the legs to stand.

NEWS FLASH Most of the terminals are smaller barns. Based on your logic that smaller barns equal smaller runs then most drivers would be better off at FXF getting paid for most of the time spent serving the company. Maybe that's why Estes can't keep drivers at the terminals. Longer runs at the smaller barns would help in my opinion. The bigger terminals can't haul all the freight. MONEY TALKS. Since Estes doesn't pay for time spent then they need to make longer runs at the smaller terminals.

Why would I post on here if I didn't work here? I thought I brought up some good points to consider when choosing between FXF and Estes. Also turnover rate has always been one of the main factors in deciding where to work in trucking. Don't blame me for being mad about how Estes runs it's business. Have you ever heard of not killing the messenger, you might need him to send back a message. Look it, you call me names and then expect to be taken seriously. You act like the way you are managed at this company, Rise above the way Estes lets middle management treat it's drivers. Bunk rooms on schedules, no pay to wait, no pay to fuel, drop and hook pay has been the same for at least 15 yrs, giving line haul runs to hub drivers and making xtra board drivers wait longer for a run, nepotism in the worst way. Keep it up there is more where this came from. Don't tell me to leave Estes, I've earned my run and I'm not leaving. I was responding to a gentleman who was wise to ask questions before he made a decision. You can state your reasons why it's so great and let it stand on it's own, if it has the legs to stand.

NEWS FLASH Most of the terminals are smaller barns. Based on your logic that smaller barns equal smaller runs then most drivers would be better off at FXF getting paid for most of the time spent serving the company. Maybe that's why Estes can't keep drivers at the terminals. Longer runs at the smaller barns would help in my opinion. The bigger terminals can't haul all the freight. MONEY TALKS. Since Estes doesn't pay for time spent then they need to make longer runs at the smaller terminals.
Well said indeed.

One point from these conversations is that all prospective drivers should look at is the size of the terminal. My barn is huge and I'd have a fairly easy time getting a scheduled run if I drove. Yet I've talked to drivers from other terminals who struggle.

When looking at terminals around you, looking at a bigger one could be better if youre not interested in extra board forever.

Really, most people should be looking at their nearest terminal instead of companies as a whole.

Last edited:
One point from these conversations is that all prospective drivers should look at is the size of the terminal. My barn is huge and I'd have a fairly easy time getting a scheduled run if I drove. Yet I've talked to drivers from other terminals who struggle.

When looking at terminals around you, looking at a bigger one could be better if youre not interested in extra board forever.

Really, most people should be looking at their nearest terminal instead of companies as a whole.