Estes | Estes overtime after 8 hours

big steve said:
any truth to the rumor i heard today regarding taking estes to court to force ot after 8 pay?

I don't work for E, and I don't know anything about the rumor, but as far as I know the court can't force ot after 8.
Federal law is after 40 with certain exceptions to the companies benefit, which freight companies don't even have to comply with the 40.

I don't work for estes either, but one of our P+D drivers told me the other day they were looking at OT after 9. That's all I know, right now. DS.

Our policy is overtime after 55 hours. With Gi it was after 8 hours. When the law changed they tried to change it to after 40 but had second thoughts after some meetings with employees. Now with the Union movement they have come out and said that they will change overtime to after 48 hours. We have only one state in the west that requires the company to pay overtime after 40 hours and that is Wash. regardless of the federal law that most states follow regarding trucking

gearshifter said:
We have only one state in the west that requires the company to pay overtime after 40 hours and that is Wash. regardless of the federal law that most states follow regarding trucking
state law can supersede federal law? i didn't know that...

Just be carefull what you ask for guys. At FedEx Freight they started paying OT after 8 but guess what? They cut all the OT out. So the P&D drivers are making LESS money than before they gave them that great benefit of OT after 8.

they could do that if they want but other companies are more concerned about covering the work than cutting ot. i work at yellow and average 55 to 60 hours a week year round. i'm sure fed ex is just as concerned about covering the work but they do it by over hiring. gearshifter, ot after 55 might be the west coasts policy but the older part of estes never paid any ot no matter how many hours you work and that is still their policy today.

Fed ex won't keep help for long with that policy. There is too much money to be made else where, and paying bennies for two to do the job of one is just stupid.

Accelerator said:
Where did you hear this, sorry i am in the UPSF forum but I love rumor's.
a roadway driver who i think didn't get it right, so i figured i'd ask here

for interstate trucking companies no ot protection for employees as far as the fair labor standards act is concerned
the fair labor standars act provides for ot after 40 and is a federal law
since our hours are set by the sec'y of transportation our employers are exempt from the FLSA
however an intrastate company has to pay ot after 40 as those employees qualify if that company does not engage in interstate commerce
even though an interstate trucking company has employees who do not cross state lines for example dock workers, shuttle drivers and p&d drivers, but the company's primary business is interstate commerce those employees are still not protected by the FLSA

Docksteward said:
I don't work for estes either, but one of our P+D drivers told me the other day they were looking at OT after 9. That's all I know, right now. DS.

hey DS check this out

see if you agree
the union companies usually got the credit for the hourly wage standard non unions pay their guys presently
and now the non unions can claim credit for setting and degrading the work rule standards of the union companies under the guise of 'competitive equity'

I can't believe that Estes has never paid O/T.
The worst compensation package I worked for paid O/T after 40 hours.
If a holiday screwed my chances of making 40 for the week, I'd always call in sick to get the sick pay. Why bother busting my butt for over 8 hours a day during the week with no hope of O/T when I could be staring down at three day weekend was insentive enough for me to pull the trigger on the sick day phone call.
Repeat after me, "Hello dispatch, I won't be able to make it in today."

Rattlesnake said:
Just be carefull what you ask for guys. At FedEx Freight they started paying OT after 8 but guess what? They cut all the OT out. So the P&D drivers are making LESS money than before they gave them that great benefit of OT after 8.
That is how it was for many employees at 40 hrs you were done. Now since Estes you are required to work 55 hrs. Even if it takes 6 days. Now that's slave trucking in my book. Smaller terminals with less tonnage of course don't see these issue's

gearshifter said:
That is how it was for many employees at 40 hrs you were done. Now since Estes you are required to work 55 hrs. Even if it takes 6 days. Now that's slave trucking in my book. Smaller terminals with less tonnage of course don't see these issue's

now if that is not enough of an incentive to start an organizing drive i don't know what will do it:Bazzoka-Cow: :owned:

big steve said:
any truth to the rumor i heard today regarding taking estes to court to force ot after 8 pay?

I doubt it big steve. Federal overtime laws have exemptions for military, farming and transportation. There are legal grounds for taking the company to court

CFer said:
I doubt it big steve. Federal overtime laws have exemptions for military, farming and transportation. There are legal grounds for taking the company to court

yeah i knew that as i referred to the FLSA and the exemption for interstate commerce in a previous post
several years ago i was told that overnite dock men in CT sued and won as they claimed they never left the dock but i could never confirm that one either
what are the legal grounds you are reffering to:shades: :sombrero2:

big steve said:
yeah i knew that as i referred to the FLSA and the exemption for interstate commerce in a previous post
several years ago i was told that overnite dock men in CT sued and won as they claimed they never left the dock but i could never confirm that one either
what are the legal grounds you are reffering to:shades: :sombrero2:

The only people who have any recourse are Dock workers, who are only dock worker's and have no CDL. and office personnel. If those dock worker's do not push it then they are caught in the mix.