Estes | Estes overtime after 8 hours

Taken advantage of.

I work for Jevic out of the Delanco NJ term., in the state of NJ there is a labor law on the books that employees of motor freight carriers do not have to be paid overtime. Our mechanics get o/t but not the dock workers or us drivers and i usually work close to 60 hrs p/w thats a lot of lost wages.

I believe that you are being taken advantage of, like people i work with at Estes express lines.

confused over overtime

Like most drivers(myself included) you want what seems fair.From what I could understand from US labor laws web site and has been stated on this site,Carriers that transport interstate freight are exempt from ot laws The law never clearly states why,at least as far as i can understand.This law sounds like some OLD BOYS NETWORK law from eons ago and really needs to be updated.

Just stay tuned to your dial dealing with this issue and others regarding labor laws that benefit trucking companys. In the last 12 years you have seen the slow deteriation of pay and benefits in the trucking industry. Due in part to a GOP controlled congress. Now the reigns have changed hands. And the unions want action (payback). The larger union and non union companys will still prosper. But the weak will die a slow death. Why do you think Richmond is scrambling to sell out?

If you have the misfortune of working for a trucking company that operates in more than one state.
You are under the interstate commerce laws,and regulations of freight tranportation.
This old overtime law is covered in the ICC laws,and regulations.which state if you are working for a farm,resturant,or transportation company,you aren't going to get any overtime,after any length of time.
I believe this law is still on the books?

I work for UPS Freight,and the only reason they pay overtime is because they wanted to keep their workers happy to stay working for them.

They put a lot of time,and money into training their employees,and they don't want them running out the door after a short time.

Keep on nudging

The bottom line is to keep on nudging forward. Everyone talks about the unions making things better for the other LTL's and then their benefits boosting OTR perks. The relationship also has a reverse effect. When OTR's benefits increase, LTL has to offer more, then the teamsters can get us more. In order for it to work, OTR needs to stop the backward spiral they've started into over the last 4 to 6 years. Their wages are actually going back down. All LTL drivers need to inform OTR drivers the benefits of LTL employment and also advise which OTR companies are the better ones to work for. When the bottom can't feed, it raises the bar. This raises the bar for all of us over time. :1036316054: