Evaston,IL.,Trucker not able to make a swing into a narrow street,backed into a pole.

It looks like he came upon a low viaduct and tried to go around the block instead of backing up.

I was thinking that also. I can't see any height markings. It looks on the low side, but can't be sure from this photo.Still, I would have waited for the Police, and had them back me up to the intersection behind him.

I was thinking that also. I can't see any height markings. It looks on the low side, but can't be sure from this photo.Still, I would have waited for the Police, and had them back me up to the intersection behind him.

Just google mapped this intersection and there is a sign showing height of 11'7". Even Sherman st looks like an alley way so he would have taken the roof out of that building. What an idiot
I hate o.t.r druvers

Incorrect listing.
A light pole is not a accident, just humorous.
Intelligence and Common Sense departed Trucking between 2001-2005 (or earlier), so now we have some intelligent drivers and the remaining majority are incompetent.

According to the city's website, trucks weighing more than 8,000 pounds are not allowed on Lake or Sherman.

Not every street, road, avenue, boulevard and especially ALLEYWAYS are listed in the RESTRICTED TRUCK TRAVEL sections in a ROAD ATLAS.
Only those drivers that even HAVE a ROAD ATLAS at least might LOOK at it to maybe discover some treasures.
_ _ _ _
INewIt2=I hate o.t.r druvers
I'm not very fond of O.T.R. drivers while druvers must be the dumbest ones.
There are drovers.....and they are not people that drove a vehicle, okay? Good!

CHEERS!!

As a OTR driver, I am confronted by situations like this ALL the time. When having to deliver a load into a area I'm not familiar with, I call the shipper/receiver, HOPEFULLY I can speak with someone who SPEAKS AND UNDERSTANDS ENGLISH! YaYa big truck comes here all the time....right!.......Of course he/she is talking about a 24ft box truck or maybe a single axle tractor pulling a 28ft pup. I have no reason to give this guy a excuse...he should have gotten out and took a look. As far as the BLOW HARDS that are probably city P&D drivers talking trash....give my 13 Prostar 70" sleeper with a 53ft trl a try, for a week...you will find out quick....it's not that easy!

When I first hired on with Overnite back in July of 1986,I ran our downtown area with a second story flat back Mack twin screw & a 48 foot trailer.
There were a few deliveries that were impossible to make with such a large combo.
I was always whining to my TM how that combo was an accident looking for a place to happen.

Seeing he had never driven a truck in his life he could not relate.

However after the first crash inside our city limits he finally took the hint upon investigation that it was crazy sending a unit like that to run downtown.

After that we ran 28 foot pup's with a single axle Volvo,line haul hand me downs.

Had he only took notes from his experienced drivers, there would have been a more efficient downtown operation with no crashes.

Oh well life goes on, I have been retired now since 2008 & don't miss being a trucker at all.