Yellow | Ex-casual looking for re-hire

D

drgonzo

Hello all,

This is my first post here.

I worked for Roadway briefly a few years ago. I was a casual dockman for about a month.

I was 19 at the time and I didn't really like the hours (11pm-7:30am.) I had a minor accident one day on the way home from work due to sleep deprivation. I wound up hitting the rear of a New Penn trailer. In addition to that, I didn't have any bills to pay and I figured I didn't need the job bad enough to work overnights.

In the three years since then, things have changed quite a bit. I'm currently working for a supermarket chain and not making a whole lot of money. I'm spending over 75% of my monthly earnings on bills. I'm 22 now and I realize the value of a good union job. $16 an hour with the chance of making $22-23 in a few years plus all the benefits of a union contract is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm wondering what the odds are of me getting rehired at the big R. In my teenage carelessness, I failed to give the company 2 weeks notice prior to my resignation. I think I was a pretty good worker though. And since then I've upgraded my skills to include various forklift certifications, several years in warehousing, and some supervisory experience.

I live in NJ now and I'm looking to get back on with a terminal nearby. What are my chances? Your input is very much appreciated.

drgonzo welcome to trucking boards. Good to have you here and posting.
I'm sure some of our Big R members will be along to answer your questions shortly.

I've always heard that once you leave, that's it. But that was a while ago and maybe things have changed. If the terminal you apply to needs men, there may be a good chance you might make it again. Also, if your past employment with the Big R comes up, be honest and tell them the truth.
Best of luck and welcome to the boards.

Chances are since you only work there for a month they probably never kept you on file. I'd go ahead and reapply and be honest about your experience. I bet they'll hire you back. My best guess.

Quality drivers are a a premium right now and you've got nothing to lose. As everyone else mentioned, be 100% honest with them because if you lie about something on the application, they will find out about it and you will probably lose your job because of it.

Good luck

yo gonzo....

if you're talking about a 560 roadway job....

go to the hall and look up the b/a who covers roadway and talk to him first......

if you got the union putting in a word for you, you stand a whole lot better chance than walking in the door with just a smile on your face.......

good luck.....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ps; i did the same thing in 1969 and i smelled the coffee in about 1976 and came back and since 1979 have only worked for 2 companies.....

gonzo,
if there is any supervisors that you worked for that are still there can vouch for ya plus the steward as well the BA like Mikkeee said.

Best thing is be straight up and honest as you're finding out in this industry "your creditability means alot"

re employment

I Work At Roadway In Carlstadt. If You Want Dockwork It Is An Ila Job. If You Want To Drive It Is 560 Teamsters. They Are Taking Applications For Both Right Now. We Are Busy. Same Goes For The South Kearney Terminal.

deadhead said:
what's an Ila job?????

I.L.A. stands for the International Longshoremens Assoc., i think. they only work the dock, no driving at all. we got'em on our dock in Maspeth. they're also in Jersey in S. Kearny for NP & Roadway as well as Carlsdat. they start out at around $15 an hr.

Regional thing

ILA- International Longshoreman Association,
its a different work environment than other places. We have some guys here that would normally be in the ILA but are in the Teamsters. Depends on the region.

My old TM now works at Carlstadt, I wonder if he remembers me...I suppose it's worth a shot, right?

Thank you for your replies.