Estes | expansion

the blue robot

TB Regular
Credits
hey guys i work for con-way and heard that estes was expanding to s.d. souix falls and water town, any one know about this? i also heard that they might go to minnesota ? id be interested in finding out cause i might like to join the company. ive been with con-way now 10 yrs and im tired of the b.s. they keep taking and taking is it any better at estes? how are the bene's? are you guys union? just courious as to how all you guys like it, id hate to jump ship and land right into the same boat again. i do linehaul and im interested in the same thing so hows the pay scale ? i make a little over .53 cents a mile and a little over 23.00 an hour on the dock. buy the way what is a hub? well thanks for your time guys have a great day and keep it between the lines!:smilie_132:

hey guys i work for con-way and heard that estes was expanding to s.d. souix falls and water town, any one know about this? i also heard that they might go to minnesota ? id be interested in finding out cause i might like to join the company. ive been with con-way now 10 yrs and im tired of the b.s. they keep taking and taking is it any better at estes? how are the bene's? are you guys union? just courious as to how all you guys like it, id hate to jump ship and land right into the same boat again. i do linehaul and im interested in the same thing so hows the pay scale ? i make a little over .53 cents a mile and a little over 23.00 an hour on the dock. buy the way what is a hub? well thanks for your time guys have a great day and keep it between the lines!:smilie_132:

Blue Robot, yea Estes is expanding into the upper midwest.. and they are planning on opening terminals in the 2 citys in SD you mentioned as well as Marshall and Minneapolis, MN.. To be honest with you... we've pretty much got the same problems as everyone else...poor management from corporate will have you scratching your head in wonder. All terminals are ran differently, so one might abide by the rules Richmond puts in place, and another one will tweak those rules to their benefit at a moments notice. Usually you'll end up working with a pretty good group of people, we are non-union, we don't pay OT until 60 hours (for most terminals). Since i'm not a driver, I'm nto exactly sure what linehaul or hub guys get paid. It typically depends on the terminal as to what you'd get paid for hourly work. Some terminals make more an hour than others for doing the same job. As for your question about what a hub is. As much as i can tell its probably like what you do now... take your set to the hub and work the dock until you've got all the next day freight on your trailers, and you'll run back to your home terminal. Hub's do the next day, breakbulks do the 2+ day freight. So maybe if some of the other guys can chip in and fill you in on their opinions and on what the possbile pay scale might be... hopefully we can help you out. Getting in at a new terminal early might also offer you one of the better linehaul or bid runs. All in all, I guess it depends on who you get for a TM, what type of bid you get on, and how much crap you can tolerate, as to wether you should go for it or not. Any other questions you might have feel free to send me a PM.. hope this helped a little...take care:smilie_132:

Estands4Evil posted pretty good info for you. My main addition to his comments is that Estes pretty much sets the standard for bottom feeder trucking in the linehaul arena. I know some Conway drivers along with drivers from other co's, and yes we all have problems, but when it gets down to the brass facts, Estes leads the way in how to screw the employee. If you can stick it out with Conway, do so or look elsewhere.

Just being honest.

Estands4Evil posted pretty good info for you. My main addition to his comments is that Estes pretty much sets the standard for bottom feeder trucking in the linehaul arena. I know some Conway drivers along with drivers from other co's, and yes we all have problems, but when it gets down to the brass facts, Estes leads the way in how to screw the employee. If you can stick it out with Conway, do so or look elsewhere.

Just being honest.

I concur with mt helmet and estands4evil 100%. Estes sucks and that is the truth.

pay

Just being honest.

Does con-way pay you from the time you break down. estes does not the first 3 hours are on you. no pay. there is more bad news but I nont fell like gettig into now.:chairshot:

the hub drivers get less per mile than the road drivers. i dont think the clock pay is as good as 23.00 an hour. i think you will get more money with conway than estes as a hub driver. i know linehaul bid , extra board i make way more than i did at usf dugan. i know i get treated better than i did at dugan. we do have alot of problems at other terms because of t.m.'s. its the same ol b.s. just a different truck color. alot of guys giving you info are no longer with the company and one of them is a dock worker. so i understand the "all bad" comments. but really its not that bad. almost all the guys on here are ex-gi guys and they lost alot of pay when the take over out west happened. so i would be very against estes as well if i lost what gi did. good luck in whatever you do.

Does con-way pay you from the time you break down. estes does not the first 3 hours are on you. no pay.

This is NOT true. You get paid Breakdown after one hour. I have gotten it and so have others at my terminal. This is company wide so stop spreading that BS around.

Usually you'll end up working with a pretty good group of people, we are non-union, we don't pay OT until 60 hours (for most terminals).

True, out west you get OT after 48 hrs. It'll be interesting to see what they do in the new areas.

From what I can see each terminal is run just a bit different. Even though they are not "supposed" to according to Estes. Each TM will tweak the rules to their liking. In some terminals it is obvious after meeting the Tm that s**t rolls down hill.

In my opinion Estes is about the same as anyplace else. Maybe the problems are different.

If you don't have any major issues with Conway why leave unless they are screwing you 6 ways from Sunday. Especially after 10 years.

This is NOT true. You get paid Breakdown after one hour. I have gotten it and so have others at my terminal. This is company wide so stop spreading that BS around.

True, out west you get OT after 48 hrs. It'll be interesting to see what they do in the new areas.

From what I can see each terminal is run just a bit different. Even though they are not "supposed" to according to Estes. Each TM will tweak the rules to their liking. In some terminals it is obvious after meeting the Tm that s**t rolls down hill.

In my opinion Estes is about the same as anyplace else. Maybe the problems are different.

If you don't have any major issues with Conway why leave unless they are screwing you 6 ways from Sunday. Especially after 10 years.

conway pays the minute you breakdown. if the road closes due to an accident the first hour is on your time and paid after that. we also get time and a half after 8 hours. my wife tells me dont quit cause its that way all over in corprate america. im ready for a change is the reason i want to quit but listening to you guys its not much better there,(the b.s. anyway). all our terminals are suppose to run the same way also but there are a few that change the rules around,have you ever heard the term " if its good for the company" well i have and its about that time it really begins to suck! i know this t.m. in eagan mn. thats just a looser, cant figure out why his numbers suck so bad, duh , doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that one out, would you work for someone who treated you like s#@t? well neather do they now he cant figure that out,stupid is stupid does!! i figure if you want to be a t.m. just be really really stupid and the job is yours!, hate to wine so much to you guys but im ready for a change and it doesnt sound like estes is any different,anyway ill go for the interview. talk soon :funky::smilie_132:

Blue Robot, yea Estes is expanding into the upper midwest.. and they are planning on opening terminals in the 2 citys in SD you mentioned as well as Marshall and Minneapolis, MN.. To be honest with you... we've pretty much got the same problems as everyone else...poor management from corporate will have you scratching your head in wonder. All terminals are ran differently, so one might abide by the rules Richmond puts in place, and another one will tweak those rules to their benefit at a moments notice. Usually you'll end up working with a pretty good group of people, we are non-union, we don't pay OT until 60 hours (for most terminals). Since i'm not a driver, I'm nto exactly sure what linehaul or hub guys get paid. It typically depends on the terminal as to what you'd get paid for hourly work. Some terminals make more an hour than others for doing the same job. As for your question about what a hub is. As much as i can tell its probably like what you do now... take your set to the hub and work the dock until you've got all the next day freight on your trailers, and you'll run back to your home terminal. Hub's do the next day, breakbulks do the 2+ day freight. So maybe if some of the other guys can chip in and fill you in on their opinions and on what the possbile pay scale might be... hopefully we can help you out. Getting in at a new terminal early might also offer you one of the better linehaul or bid runs. All in all, I guess it depends on who you get for a TM, what type of bid you get on, and how much crap you can tolerate, as to wether you should go for it or not. Any other questions you might have feel free to send me a PM.. hope this helped a little...take care:smilie_132:
thanks buddy im going for the interview just to see if B.S. can walk, chances are i wont be jumping the fence,just want to hear what he has to say,and im betten that he's gonna tell me everything i WANT to hear.

Just being honest.
thank you my friend , i think i will be staying at con-way, im going to go to the interview anyway just to see how much s#%t hes going to tell me.

I concur with mt helmet and estands4evil 100%. Estes sucks and that is the truth.

thanks for your input!! by the way do you guys have a pension plan? con-way took ours away and is now matching our 401 with 7%. thats what really ticked me off is they took my pension,hell thats one of the real things i hired on for. im getting to old to screw around or to get screwed!!

please

Please CJ get your facts straight!!! Yes out west pays after 1 hour. but not out east. :chairshot: And tell me what is wrong with being paid from the time you break down?:chairshot:

the hub drivers get less per mile than the road drivers. i dont think the clock pay is as good as 23.00 an hour. i think you will get more money with conway than estes as a hub driver. i know linehaul bid , extra board i make way more than i did at usf dugan. i know i get treated better than i did at dugan. we do have alot of problems at other terms because of t.m.'s. its the same ol b.s. just a different truck color. alot of guys giving you info are no longer with the company and one of them is a dock worker. so i understand the "all bad" comments. but really its not that bad. almost all the guys on here are ex-gi guys and they lost alot of pay when the take over out west happened. so i would be very against estes as well if i lost what gi did. good luck in whatever you do.
thanks for the info,im going to go to the interview anyway and see what he can tell me, im getting to old to be starting over from the bottom again, im sitting pretty good now. con-way took our pension away and thats what really pissed me off. the lady on the phone yesterday told me i would get pay at the cost of living and she mentioned 22.00 bucks an hour and .43 cents per mile eather hub or linehaul, thats to start and i think she said .52 top out. thats not a bad pay decrease if i choose to make a move, but if i do i want to be real close to top of the board.:smilie_132:

Blue Robot, we don't have a pension either.. we also have a 401k and I think you have to be at Estes 8 years before youre fully vested and then they only match 7%.. if i remember correctly...but I'm guessing if you get on early and are one of the first hired..you'll get a decent bid run and get plenty of miles... we do have some guys that are making some pretty good $$... guess like you said it won't hurt to go see what they have to say. Take care

Blue Robot, we don't have a pension either.. we also have a 401k and I think you have to be at Estes 8 years before youre fully vested and then they only match 7%.. if i remember correctly...but I'm guessing if you get on early and are one of the first hired..you'll get a decent bid run and get plenty of miles... we do have some guys that are making some pretty good $$... guess like you said it won't hurt to go see what they have to say. Take care

7% are you shure? I think up to 3%. Well that is how it is in the west:smilie_132: