Experiences With Failed DOT Physical and Drawing Unemployment

TNCricket

TB Lurker
Credits
My father (20+ years driving, clean record, awards; 40+ in the industry overall) is hitting 61 this year and he's worrying over the DOT physical--minor health issues, all within guidelines, cleared every year no problems, new company doc is supposed to be an a-hole. He's got a year to finish out his pension, but he's worried he's not going to make it with the new doc. Called the local and state (TN) unemployment office got a "I don't know, what's a DOT physical?". So figured I'd asked about and see if anyone has any experience.

If he fails his physical, would he be able to draw unemployment while looking for another job?

he would have to be laid off, or fired from his job. it would help if he does not quit by the way.

I say let him see his regular doctor, and get what he needs to pass. for instance, if his BP is high, then some pills. if his sugar is high, then some pills as well. if he is over weight, then lose some weight. if dad can do a few things now, he can basically (in his mind) tell the company doc to stick it, for one more year!

Company done said zero tolerance: Driver fails, driver's shown the door. They don't want the liability for a driver that can't pass without a recheck. The new head of medical and the new doc are stricklers to the point that it's about 50/50 chance on any driver that comes in for a checkup. So that's why he's thinking he'll end up on unemployment--he's not ready to quit, least without not having another company lined up, but he's not confident at the moment.

If he can draw it, that is, for being fired over a failed DOT physical.

This is the first year he's had to deal with a company doc. He's confident he can pass with the regular doc, but he company has taken that option off the plate: Their guy or it's the same as quitting if he uses a different doc.

Company done said zero tolerance: Driver fails, driver's shown the door. They don't want the liability for a driver that can't pass without a recheck. The new head of medical and the new doc are stricklers to the point that it's about 50/50 chance on any driver that comes in for a checkup. So that's why he's thinking he'll end up on unemployment--he's not ready to quit, least without not having another company lined up, but he's not confident at the moment.

If he can draw it, that is, for being fired over a failed DOT physical.

This is the first year he's had to deal with a company doc. He's confident he can pass with the regular doc, but he company has taken that option off the plate: Their guy or it's the same as quitting if he uses a different doc.

well since he is so close to being 62 (an early retirement) I say have him find some sort of driving job elsewhere, then RETIRE AT 62......

any company that will let a driver with lot's of experience is no company to work for in my opinion. they probably want to get all younger people in there, so they can be bossy.

I wish him well.

and remind him, retirement is not too far away.

I would think if he it terminated for not passing the physical it would be just like any other termination, which should qualify you for unemployment.

Yeah just go see regular doctor and have bloodwork done and have all the biggies checked if he is overweight go get a sleep apnea test done just cover all his bases and as another said tell company doctor to jam it in his ass because he was all checked by his own doctor and make sure he takes documentation of all meds he is on and such ... he should have no problems. ..

Disability Ins. should apply. Either his company's, or thru his state. Then there is Soc/Sec disability...........if he has been driving that long, i am sure a competent soc/sec attorney would be able to connect his medical fail, and work related disabilities. Take the disability until he is old enough to retire formally.......