FedEx Freight | Extra board info

atldrivah

TB Lurker
Credits
what's up guys. I'm new to the ltl world and fedex. I've got 2 years of otr and I've been here for 2 months. Due to guys leaving, there is an open slot available at my center for the last extra board bid. Anyone have any info on how the extra board works? I've heard you can be on call for a 2 hour window, I've also heard there is a 4 hour window. Would I get any decent runs since I'd be dead last on the board? Also what happens if there are no runs available? I'm in the Atlanta area if that helps. thanks

It goes by board seniority and you are last so

if an extra run is available they will call in extra board seniority , I am a #1 extra board driver so they call me first, I have the option to take the run or pass the run down.

Your call block is from 5-9 am and 5-9pm
You have the option of signing a call block waiver and if you do they can call you to work anytime you have 10 ours off duty.

I don't think you will have problems getting runs but being last you should sign the call block waiver if you want to work more and get better runs

hey man thanks for the reply. Are you forced to do weekend work or is it optional still? Also, we had a few guys come off their bids to the extra board, could I theoretically be kicked off the extra board if enough senior drivers come down?

For weekend work there are usually enough volunteers but if not you are forced from the bottom up if you have the hours if its a run that has to go. You could be kicked off the extra board but that is highly doubtful in the ATL area. I would suggest you familiarize yourself with the rail yards being in ATL. All in all I would say you'll be sitting pretty good about a year from now due to the hiring spree.

hey man thanks for the reply. Are you forced to do weekend work or is it optional still? Also, we had a few guys come off their bids to the extra board, could I theoretically be kicked off the extra board if enough senior drivers come down?
No forced weekend work, don't know how it is when you sign the waiver though, at one time you didn't have to take a dispatch that left after midnite on a friday night but no idea now as I haven't signed the waiver in many years

You bid twice a year, if you are the last man you will have to take only whats left, not many people will be inclined to bump the last extra board but if they do you will probably be forced on the last bid of the shortest run

Also remember that the extra board is a hog board as opposed to a wheel. Our hog board resets by seniority every day at 0001 hrs. If you don’t get out on a particular day, you go back to the bottom again. If senior city drivers opt to come to the road board after you, they leave their bidding seniority behind.
A point of contention for several that want to have their cake and eat it too.

At our center if the bottom of the xtraboard doesn’t get out, they’re offered other work where needed if needed, city or dock, but most refuse, sit at home, and bitch about not getting to work. With that being said, we haven’t had the issue of no work available in quite some time,

Must be nice to be so close to the mother ship. Out here they’ve gone so far as to withhold kickouts from available road drivers and give the work to very junior dock/drivers that were claiming they weren’t getting enough work. When confronted with chapter 15, they proclaimed there were no rules, only guidelines to be interpreted at the local level.

Must be nice to be so close to the mother ship. Out here they’ve gone so far as to withhold kickouts from available road drivers and give the work to very junior dock/drivers that were claiming they weren’t getting enough work. When confronted with chapter 15, they proclaimed there were no rules, only guidelines to be interpreted at the local level.
That’s called “hub discretion”....

Nope, policy for six months. Lost $10k that year.
I was referring to your comment of “withholding kickouts”, kickouts are controlled by the hub dispatchers and it’s their discretion as to who gets the run. I can tell you first hand that they’re not going to call a senior driver who’s at home asleep to come in and run a kickout at 2:30am when there’s a junior driver already there on the dock working. They’re gonna claim that by the time the senior guy gets there and out the gate that the freight won’t make service...happens all the time.

I was referring to your comment of “withholding kickouts”, kickouts are controlled by the hub dispatchers and it’s their discretion as to who gets the run. I can tell you first hand that they’re not going to call a senior driver who’s at home asleep to come in and run a kickout at 2:30am when there’s a junior driver already there on the dock working. They’re gonna claim that by the time the senior guy gets there and out the gate that the freight won’t make service...happens all the time.
And I was talking about a driver that had just come from a six hour run with five hours drive time still available, standing at the dispatch window, being told to go home while they are handing a kick out to a dock driver. Affected a group of six road drivers all with 20 years with the company. Decision to do this came from higher up than OM.
When I said dock/driver, I was referring to people not on the road board, but dock workers that get used when road drivers aren’t available.

Last edited:
It goes by board seniority and you are last so

if an extra run is available they will call in extra board seniority , I am a #1 extra board driver so they call me first, I have the option to take the run or pass the run down.

Your call block is from 5-9 am and 5-9pm
You have the option of signing a call block waiver and if you do they can call you to work anytime you have 10 ours off duty.

I don't think you will have problems getting runs but being last you should sign the call block waiver if you want to work more and get better runs
Xtra 1 until more senior driver's bid is cut.
Then bumped to xtra 2 or 3 or worse.
Happens all the time now since Oct... in Chicago at least.

we don't have "dock drivers" here so I'm not sure how that works. there are shuttle drivers that basically bounce between all the barns in the Atlanta area, which is what I do. usually put in 3-5 hours a night in on the dock. that's why I was wondering if the extra board would be any better. money wise anyway

we don't have "dock drivers" here so I'm not sure how that works. there are shuttle drivers that basically bounce between all the barns in the Atlanta area, which is what I do. usually put in 3-5 hours a night in on the dock. that's why I was wondering if the extra board would be any better. money wise anyway
So jan and feb are slow.
Last 2 months have been weak for xtra. Some days you score a long run, some days barely anything avail.
Seems like if you can get a mid distance bid, that would be the safest unless you dont mind the risk of occasional small paycheck.