ODFL | FAQ's

DayliteDean

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
We get a lot of questions from here from people interested in OD,either looking for employment,curious,or wanting to compare companies,this thread will be dedicated to answering your questions by the guys in the field.

Its nice to have choice, the uniform company with have dones what ODFL wants on the uniforms and etc. Its the same year after year, no change!! We have other uniform companys you can order better uniforms and lot more choice. The other trucking companys paid for everything, cleaning and etc. What I want to say, the uniform company with have SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! I like the choice and lot of other ODFL drivers like it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply to LittleBOPete about "Uniforms"
Its nice to have choice, the uniform company with have dones what ODFL wants on the uniforms and etc. Its the same year after year, no change!! We have other uniform companys you can order better uniforms and lot more choice. The other trucking companys paid for everything, cleaning and etc. What I want to say, the uniform company with have SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! I like the choice and lot of other ODFL drivers like it too.

I'm so glad I gave up alcohol and mood altering drugs long, long ago! (Good Lord!)

No, a lot better then Con-Way, you will be lot more happy with ODFL. I been trying to get my other son away from Con-Way in Akron, Ohio he hates how they treat him and drivers at that Akron term. He has 9 yrs. at Con-Way, hates to give it up.

Well maybe not... I thought I was in! @ of our (con-way) supervisors left to work for odfl. I am in great standing with both of them. I skated through the first 2 steps in od hiring process, filled out the full app at the terminal, then the hr lady says" My T.M just has to review it (wait 5 min) she comes out and says sorry my T.M. does not wish to move foreward. Guy was a cocky dick who was probably annoyed that he was being bothered with this(me) right when he returns for lunch.
I Don't know... Kinda sucks though!

Pay is pretty much the same all over the country;top rate 23.35 gonna start close to 20.00 takes three years to top.

question for carlisle pa terminal? how do u guys run when starting out, on call? how long do they keep u out? how much are the benefitsevery week?

Im considering joining OD. Does OD offer pension and 401K and are medical benefits pricey for family plan? I am really pumped about getting on board but I forgot to ask these question during my interview.

Welcome dog!!OD has a matching 401(k) program with two types of match,the first is the traditional type of match 25%on the first 6% invested,and a discretionary match thats tied to the previous years profits.One note about OD's 401(k)program almost all of our competetors stopped matching their employees 401(k)contributions during the recent economic downturn(many have since resumed match)OD never stopped matching contributions.I cant tell you how much family insurance costs I'm on the individual plan,hopefully some one else will jump in with the answers...

I too am interested in the cost of family medical premiums and more specifically who is the insurance through? Any other details would be appreciated. TIA

Health insurance is through United healthcare(dental and eyecare also)there are two options,a traditional and co-pay type plan,the coverage is pretty good,however You need to stay in their network or it can get expensive in a hurry,I will check Tuesday on cost of family coverage unless someone posts it before then

Co Pay plan me + 1 is $40 week, Got Med, Dental, And vision. Alot of time if using basic clinic for minor problem they reimburse it all. Ex. Had a reaction to a med. Broke out in hives. Went to a walk in clinic in Indy, Got a refund check with a thank you for using a wellness clinic. Covered even the $25 I was to pay for office visit. Son had an operation, United, fought to get bill reduced. Saved them and myself. My part of saving from 1st billing was $1,600.

Forgot, on dental it can get more costly, yet alot of policies don't have medical anymore. United set cost for procedure is below average on dental. Most providers require the uncovered paid up front. This was even at one of those low cost dental services. ( Price was 30% lower than family type dentist, yet was still higher than providers minimum cost) Son had wisdoms taken out. This part is close to gov. run medical. Costs are above allocated payment. So, some providers wont even accept you as a patient. Wait until Obama care kicks end.

Could someone give me some information about your Carlisle terminal for a new hire? Such as what can be expected as far as miles, starting pay,Top pay,days out, How big is the extra board? I have 20 years and over 2 million miles pulling doubles... Just looking to make a move.. Any information would be a big help..Thank You and BE SAFE!!!

Welcome nannybug17,I'm not out of Harrisburg(HAR)thats how we identify that terminal,I used to run out of there occasionally when I ran wild,I'll try to give you a little info and hopefully someone from there can fill out the blanks.I always got pretty close to 3000mi weekly running through there,it was mostly short hauls but they had so much freight at that time I could always run two trips at an 11 hour shift,starting pay is going to be in the .45 cpm range takes 3 years to top pay(.52cpm)right now,as at just about any OD terminal how long you stay out is strictly up you HAR always kept there drivers pretty close by to cover their own freight plus you didn't have a lot of wild drivers from the south or the west to compete with because many of them didnt like working in the eastern part of the US.

Thank you, DayLiteDean. I am going to submit an application and see what happens. Do you get back to your home terminal, or do you stay in motels? And do you have any idea how the extra board works...Thanks Again...