FAQ's

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Freight Line' started by DayliteDean, Aug 16, 2010.

1. roadway5_1999

roadway5_1999 New Member

Is there a reason od does not pay overtime

2. DMT

DMT Well-Known Member

there are probably a couple of answers to that question, depending on who will answer it.

3. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

My guess is because they don't have to. Trucking is exempt from normal labor laws.

4. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

Not to say that they shouldn't pay overtime after 8, I think they should. I think the exemption for truck drivers should be lifted. If you work the long hours we work and are not a road driver, you should get overtime for your efforts.

5. walken1414

walken1414 Active Member

yea but rest of the group is folowing you over. that's 4 from memphis

6. JRODNY

JRODNY Member

Im going into Buffalo NY to fill out my application. I was told that thier Line Haul pays .5798 cents per mile. Is this the starting pay rate? If not, do they make exceptions for drivers that have lots of experience? does anybody know how many miles this center averages per week?

7. bigbird42368

bigbird42368 Super Moderator Staff Member

it's up to the TM, some will start you at 1 yr rate which is .5483

8. JRODNY

JRODNY Member

I just accepted employment offer out of Buffalo NY Terminal. Very EXITED. I was told that thier Canada runs pay hourly rate at $23.93. does anyone know the average hours per day they work?

9. Freightsup

Freightsup Active Member

Welcome aboard. I wish I knew, but good luck to you.

10. DayliteDean

DayliteDean Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome aboard JRODNY I don't have any real insight on how many hours you'll work but to guess Figure run time to Toronto , time it takes to clear customs,yard time and reentry and you'll have a pretty good idea..

bigbird42368 likes this.
  11. upnorth

upnorth Super Moderator Staff Member

If your talking Canadian drivers, we can drive 13 hours a day, work 1 hour. 14 hours daily.

bigbird42368 likes this.
  12. Canadian Flyer

Canadian Flyer Speedy Freightshaker #411

From Buffalo, you would be running to Speedy Transport's yard in Brampton which is why it's hourly. Anywhere between 8-10 hour day depending on the border. Speedy should have your trailers ready to avoid waiting, but I don't know for sure.

DayliteDean and JIM BOB like this.
  13. bamamutt

bamamutt New Member

:shift:Explanation of PD driver lunch break policy needed, please. Does corp require us to take lunch break or can we skip it if too busy to stop? Thanks!

kenneth likes this.
  14. kenneth

kenneth Well-Known Member

None.If you run within a 100 mile area&you don't work over 12 hour's you are not required to take a 30 min break.But,OD going to take out 30 minutes for lunch.So that being said I alway's stop before my 8th hour & get my break.They can kiss my rear over that one.I dare my dispatcher's to say a frek'n thing.I alway's tell them I'm going to eat.They have got a little crappy&have took pick-up's away from me because I would miss there closing time's.O'well..

runningfor48 and DayliteDean like this.
  15. runningfor48

runningfor48 Here for Entertainment

Come on Ken we know you don't miss a pick up...you got your customers on speed dial bud.:stirthepot::wee:

kenneth likes this.
  16. kenneth

Know,I just got tired of them running me to death.I don't have a route.I run wild.I alway's come back in around 11 am for a second load out with multiple stop's&they got where they were sending me pick-up before I could get my del's off.Well,they don't do it now.If they do send them they are late closure's.I've learn'd you got to stop it in the bud or they will just keep on putting it to you.Have a friend that run's out of another OD term.He tell's me he never takes lunch.He doesn't have time.That's bull!! I will make time& I will get my lunch has long has they take 30 min a day out of my check every day.:1036316054:

17. bamamutt

bamamutt New Member

Thanks. That's what I thought. I usually end up taking it on the back end, if at all, before I head in. Sometimes I miss two lunch breaks or more per week. If they have to take a pick up away because of missed closing time, they'll send me back out on a trailer drop which is at least a three hour turn around and starts pushes too close to hours limit. It shouldn't be legal for OD to take away 30 minutes when a driver didn't take a lunch. Oh well, guess I gotta play the game.

kenneth likes this.
  18. bamamutt

bamamutt New Member

:disillusionment::dispirited::cheerful:
    I get too caught up in getting the freight to my customers and getting their pick ups. Then I realized I was giving OD 2 1/2 hours a week free labor. That adds up over a decade of being with the company. But, old habits die hard and I shouldn't have set that standard. They expect it from me now. They send me out with 12-16 actual stops and hit me with 5-6 picks everyday. Can't even pee when I need to. Lol :tr10driving03:. But, good pay, plenty of work, good bennies so don't want to complain too much. :27:

Zwilley88, runningfor48 and kenneth like this.
  19. inthegame

inthegame Active Member

In California the 1/2hr break is mandatory in P&D.
    Reference new Drivers Handbook.

kenneth likes this.
  20. kenneth

Also noticed there is a form that P&D Driver to sign in California.What's up with the rule.I do know OD had to pay out Big Money on a Lawsuit that several P&D Driver's start'd&become a Class Action suit