Fatal Accident on I-70 in Indiana

sheath

TB Lurker
Credits
Just heard breaking news of an accident along I-70 in western Indiana involving two tractor trailers. News said the crash happened between the Cloverdale and Brazil exits and killed one of the drivers. Haven't heard any other details. Was wondering if anyone else had.

Here you go! Here's the info.
I-70 EB in Putnam County still shut down following fatal semi accident
One person is confirmed to be dead.

Email
print
increase text size decrease text size

Comments

8:29 p.m. EDT, August 17, 2011

Indianapolis
Interstate 70 eastbound is shut down in Putnam County due to a fatal crash, involving two semis. The interstate is closed between the exits for Cloverdale and Brazil.

The accident happened between the exits for State Road 243 and State Road 59 around 3:00 p.m. Wednesday.

Topics
Commuting
Traffic

According to officials, two tractor trailers were traveling through a construction zone when traffic stopped. An eastbound Volvo tractor was then rearended by another tractor trailer.

Emergency crews began working to free the driver of the second tractor trailer when the cab burst into flames. The flames were so intense that it forced troopers to retreat. It took fire departments nearly two hours to fully extinguish the fire.

Don't wait to get the latest news. Download the FOX59 app for your smartphone.

The pinned driver died at the scene.

Both westbound lanes are still open but moving slowly. State police expect it to take another two or three hours to clear the accident.

Drivers are encouraged to seek alternate routes. Commuters can use either US 40 or US 36 for alternate routes. Both are north of I-70 but they are the best method for getting by the I-70 problem.

The identity of the deceased driver is not being released at this time.

Officials are still trying to determine what caused the accident.
This info is from Fox 59 WXIN

Last edited by a moderator:
"Officials" trying to determine the cause....
Seems rather CLEAR in that the second driver FAILED TO SLOW OR STOP for construction Traffic.
Driver had a really hot load.