Fatal crash shuts Route 3 west in Rutherford

Triplex

Experienced stalker
PREMIUM
Credits
Was that on a flat bed? or container chassis ?

I haven't seen any photos of the TT that was involved. I'm guessing that it was a flatbed and only chained down. It looks like it's an over-height container also but again I'm not positive about that either. The later news said that there was no fatality as was reported earlier but some sites still say fatality. It also looks like it was on the trailer/chassis with the doors forward. A little bit confusing so far.

Here are a couple of better photos.
http://cliffviewpilot.com/fatal-acc...len-container-crash-on-route-3-in-rutherford/

Last edited:
Very sad. That had to be on a flat bed. You know one of those that arch in the middle and flatten out with weight. Some of these Guys only use straps not chains. Not even my antenna hits any bridge on Rt. 3. It hits the railroad bridge by 23 in Wayne and the walkway by Squirrel Wood Rd. On I-80.

I don't know about trailer heights in other states?
I do know New York allows 13'6" max.
The photos that showed the clearance signs on that bridge at 14'.
Just shy, if the container was 8" over height,I'm sure the extra 2" would have been enough to cause this crash.
That is why drivers should take note of the size of their equipment,before going anywhere.

I don't know about trailer heights in other states?
I do know New York allows 13'6" max.
The photos that showed the clearance signs on that bridge at 14'.
Just shy, if the container was 8" over height,I'm sure the extra 2" would have been enough to cause this crash.
That is why drivers should take note of the size of their equipment,before going anywhere.

The container was a high cube, meaning the container itself was 9' 6" in height. A container chassis is nominally 4' high so a high cube on a chassis would be 13' 6" high. I can only assume that this was a container on a flatbed and higher than legal (13' 6") for some yet unknown reason. I occasionally pass by the scrap yard where this TT is from and I'll try to take a look at their equipment.