SAIA | fatality wreck

rewind

TB Lurker
Credits
driver out of jax was going to ocala yrd and dropped trl off of shoulder and over corrected and lost control hitting an car in on coming traffic lane two lane road. driver okay but from word is a 19 yr old female lost her life. prayers go out to all
Marion county Florida very near ocal Florida

I hate to say it, but SAIA has some of the fastest trucks out here in the west (OR and WA), and they are used to the fullest extent of their speedo. We are locked at 60 and SAIA blows my doors off regularly. Just last night (8-2-07), SAIA blew by with no lights on the back box, the door wide open, and a load lock about to fall out the door. I don't like the image that SAIA portrays out on the roads. My 2 cents is done...........

well as far AS THAT goes with the truck it is ultimatelly your responsibility as aprofessional to help any and all truck drivers young and old to learn and in a case just as that you could contact the local authorties to let them know if he couldnt be contacted on the cb. For yours and everyone elses saftey on the road. Company policy for trailers is if it does not have a bolt seal then you are to have a padlock on the trailer empty or not, PERIOD. And as far as speed all the trucks run different speeds since we have bought so many different companies, me personally I have logged almost million and half miles at SAiA and over a million miles elswhere of safe driving but drivers sometimes need to help their fellow drivers so they can learn the tools of the trade unfortunally not all of us are a proffessional such as your self. Think Safety>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Video- news1020 | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, Fla.

What a shame just starting her life.My heart goes out to her family.Becareful out there guys it could have been your son or daughter.

It takes as little as one split second to make a mistake,that can change lives,or take lives forever.

We drivers always need to keep focused on what we are doing at all times during our working hours.

A life time of regrets will never replace a life lost because of a momentary mistake.

I used to drive at salt lake city for saia, I would sit at the terminal for 4hrs.15min. waiting for my trailers to be loaded and then go hook up and dispatch, then drive 576 miles to grand junction co. and back to salt lake city utah, mind you 17hrs. later I arrive back at the terminal and 10 hrs. later I wait again for my freight. I am one of the smarter drivers with common sense to pull over and take some power naps. I do not work at this company anymore because my life and others is too short to fall asleep and kill someone. Saia does not care. they want the freight now. Most of their drivers cheat on their log books so they can work that night or have enough hours at the end of the week. Greed will only get you fired or to an early grave.

To the person's lawyer who just got killed by that saia driver in florida, do an audit on the entire company's log books and central dispatch's computers. Their supervisors and Managers will dispatch you at gate time which is when you were supposed to have left the terminal, in reality you haven't even left the yard , to make it seem you were on time and everything looks like it's running great at that terminal so the Terminal Manager, Kevin Mayfield, still has His Job.

contact was attempted no reply. as for local police he would have been to close to his term for them to respond.we are always professional and always hold ourselves to a high standard.

Biker2bee there are a few terminals that I know of that will manually dispatch you on their computer if you are running late so they don't look bad. They are not supposed to but some will if they have taken heat for late departures.

Driver can control this by simply saying NO! If a driver is running late there is almost always a reason that is beyond the drivers control.

I thought the DOT monitered all trucking companies,and they came into terminals to check time cards,and fly cards on all of our nations truckers every year or more?

I know my UPS Freight TM seems parinod to make sure none of us in the road,or city operations have any time violations.

Biker2bee there are a few terminals that I know of that will manually dispatch you on their computer if you are running late so they don't look bad. They are not supposed to but some will if they have taken heat for late departures.

Driver can control this by simply saying NO! If a driver is running late there is almost always a reason that is beyond the drivers control.

THANK YOU!!!!!! Spread the word.:1036316054:

I hate to say it, but SAIA has some of the fastest trucks out here in the west (OR and WA), and they are used to the fullest extent of their speedo. We are locked at 60 and SAIA blows my doors off regularly. Just last night (8-2-07), SAIA blew by with no lights on the back box, the door wide open, and a load lock about to fall out the door. I don't like the image that SAIA portrays out on the roads. My 2 cents is done...........

Most of the trucks are governed to 65 mph. Occasionally, a few slip by to 70. As for the open door and no lights, sounds like somebody didn't look in their mirrors to see what was happening around them (Smith System anybody?). A dark box ought to get somebody's attention. As for the back door, a thorough pretrip would have at least insured the door was latched. Tsk Tsk Tsk, sooner or later that will catch up with someone. I guess the scalehouses were closed, too.

Sometimes we would ask The supervisor to dispatch us if we were running 2 hrs. or more past our gate, so we would not have to do a layover in some dumpy hotel room away from our family. Also it could take an addition 15 min. just to get someone on the phone after you just waisted 3 min. or more the first time you tryed to dispatch then you do it again and it will direct you to dispatch and after you have spoken with someone they will send you back to IVR on your personal cell phone to hit another 50 letters or numbers to do it all over again 3 times.

To the Family that lost a loved one and one still in the hospital to a sleep deprived driver in florida, it will only happen again. That is why there will be no raises until what they say around december, and then they will be sold or out of buisness by then. Good Luck on your next job. The last 2 larger companys I worked for that did not give our yearly increases were bought out.

ANY wreck will never be blamed on a trucking company. If there is one SHRED of evidence that the driver is at fault---it will ALL be his fault. It helps keep the lawsuits down to size.

Nightzone,are you getting paid for your delay time?If you are your in violation of your dot hours.Thats considered on duty not driving and counts towards your 14 total hours.And that my freind is not to professional in my book!I

Sometimes we would ask The supervisor to dispatch us if we were running 2 hrs. or more past our gate, so we would not have to do a layover in some dumpy hotel room away from our family. Also it could take an addition 15 min. just to get someone on the phone after you just waisted 3 min. or more the first time you tryed to dispatch then you do it again and it will direct you to dispatch and after you have spoken with someone they will send you back to IVR on your personal cell phone to hit another 50 letters or numbers to do it all over again 3 times.

If you are running 2 hours late past the scheduled departure time, that would be circumstances out of your control and you should be compensated accordingly. If you run out of time at the end of the run, then it might just be best to take the motel.

I, too, share your frustration about the IVR system. Pay attention to why the system kicks you over to central dispatch. If you learn as you go, oftentime you can spot the problem before it occurs and get some relief.

Sometimes it is the local dispatch that creates the problem. I've had it happen more than once that I was given a bill packet and not have been set up in the system, or not be set up for the return leg of a turn, or.............. my personal favorite- get hooked up and ready to ivr out only to discover that between the time I was assigned a tractor for the run and ready to leave our shop places the tractor out of service.

well frustration in the trucking industry wow go figure. when you nightzonedriver57 find that ultimate perfect job please fill us all in on it. You sound like a very upset driver who lost his job for not doing his job but, thats okay go ahead and vent.
I know the driver very well and have been down that road a thousand times the road is skinny but, you just need to pay attention. And ayone knows that if you drop a wheel off the shoulder just ease off gas and slow then proceed back onto the roadway...do not yank....and especially with pups. The shoulder right their has a drop of maybe 4 to 5 inches. He ran a regular run turn out of JAX to TPA and that was an extra run to laydown. Would have put him at a 543 miles. His start time is 1030 pm and that happened at around 830 am in the morning.
So everyone has their likes and dislikes about any company but I have been here about 15 yrs and have been driving almost 20 not a wholelot but if your here and dont like it then to be blunt nobody made you com into work and if you don't work here and have before their are reasons behind that that you know why.
As far as the raises well they were in April when I first started here then went to August and now to December big ****in deal ask some of the others out there what they got for a raise or IF they got a raise.
Averitt......01 cent 2yrs without gettng one
for example.. and the list goes on yes saia is not perfect but neither are you are me just make the best of what you got
GOD BLESS