Favorite Truck

an R model 237,,camelback suspension, 5 speed maxi dyne, 80k at a red light in the middle of a very steep hill

My favorite truck is any truck that doesn't have a sleeper. You can pry the wheel of my daycab off my cold, dead hands.

In all seriousness, it's hard for me to pick a favorite, because they each have their pros and cons.

I started out with a International when I was driving for DHL. That POS was like sitting on a washing machine on final spin.

My next truck was an 07 Classic with CR England. Nice riding truck on the highway and very comfortable, but it SUCKED driving in cities, and at customer yards.

My next truck with England was a 2010 Cascadia. Not as comfortable as the Classic was, but it handled city streets and customer yards better.

Then I went to the Post Office, and got introduced to Mack's. They started me off with an R model, then I grabbed a newer CNX. The Mack CNX trucks were alright, but lacked in comfort severely.

I just started a new run last week, and I'm in a new truck. It's a 2013 Cascadia daycab. I didn't even know Freightliner made Cascadia daycabs until last week. So far I love this truck. Granted its a 10 speed manual whereas the Mack's are 6 speed automatics, it's a much better ride. Feels more like I'm driving a car and not a truck.
Hey..are you guys also exempt from pretrips?? LOL..I took this Sat morning...he was missing a few lights

mail_zps5918b21c.jpg

We have Cascadias, they are quirky pieces of junk imo, we have a twin screw Int. that I would rather drive and it has over 600k, the Int. 8600's are great city trucks but awful road trucks, I did like the day cab Volvo, I have never driven a Pete, I always wanted to, especially a cabover, the only COE I ever drove were International and Freightliner, both set forward and set back axle.

I'm not a big huge fan of KW, although I have never driven a W-9 and would like to, I'll probably never get the chance, if I really had to pick, I would say the newer version of the Volvo daycab!

Hey..are you guys also exempt from pretrips?? LOL..I took this Sat morning...he was missing a few lights

mail_zps5918b21c.jpg

Were expempt from logging, but not pre-trips. Our runs have fixed schedules, and we have time for pre-trips. There's a few issues though: our pre-trips are scheduled before we pick up trailers and they don't give us enough time. I've been complaining about that since I've been here. Our mechanics are supposed to check the equipment on a daily basis. The trucks are checked every day, but sometimes the trailers are neglected until we fill out a 4565 and place it OOS.

In the fog? Without lights? Some way, some how, if a person crashes into the driver and dies, he or she will have to pay dearly, Gov. or not, just walk around the dang truck. It takes less than 15 seconds.

In the fog? Without lights? Some way, some how, if a person crashes into the driver and dies, he or she will have to pay dearly, Gov. or not, just walk around the dang truck. It takes less than 15 seconds.

In an ideal world, this would work. But that 15 seconds can even still make you late. At my DC, once you finish the pre-trip on the tractor, you have 10 minutes to hook to your trailer and load mail. Not enough time for a walk around.

Were expempt from logging, but not pre-trips. Our runs have fixed schedules, and we have time for pre-trips. There's a few issues though: our pre-trips are scheduled before we pick up trailers and they don't give us enough time. I've been complaining about that since I've been here. Our mechanics are supposed to check the equipment on a daily basis. The trucks are checked every day, but sometimes the trailers are neglected until we fill out a 4565 and place it OOS.
I imagine the electrical box on those old trls are pretty sloppy, and he had a bad pigtail connection but, he probably knew that too and did nothing about it. He was also going 5mph under the speed limit (40 in a 45) and drove past the post office to go to McDonald's for a biscuit..lol

In an ideal world, this would work. But that 15 seconds can even still make you late. At my DC, once you finish the pre-trip on the tractor, you have 10 minutes to hook to your trailer and load mail. Not enough time for a walk around.

Now...you know I got respect for you my friend, but that is bull ****!!!! We all have time for safety **** being late, thats how I feel about it, the public's safety is more important than the mail being 60 seconds late, or 60 minutes late, or even 60 days late.

I imagine the electrical box on those old trls are pretty sloppy, and he had a bad pigtail connection but, he probably knew that too and did nothing about it. He was also going 5mph under the speed limit (40 in a 45) and drove past the post office to go to McDonald's for a biscuit..lol
I was thinking bad pigtail connection as well. You're right though, 99% of the time this is the issue.

Now...you know I got respect for you my friend, but that is bull ****!!!! We all have time for safety **** being late, thats how I feel about it, the public's safety is more important than the mail being 60 seconds late, or 60 minutes late, or even 60 days late.

You wouldn't last a day here. ;)

Your right, if something don't work safety wise I either fix it or the shop does, part of my job as a professional is being a steward of the public's safety, I will not accept any less from my co-workers or myself. I love ya like a Brother AB but shame on you. I know you know better!

Those stainless steel sided trailers look real nice, and with a "Hood" hooked to the front the picture is complete.

But.

If I found myself running reefers, anytime I was under a load that required the damn thing to be running you can bet that every time I parked to take my 10 hours off I'd drop that damn trailer on the front row next to all the SwiftyWernerEngland types and bobtail to the back row and park next to the flatbed guys.

Oh yeah!

We have Cascadias, they are quirky pieces of junk imo,

The Crapcadia that I drove for almost 2 years was a decent truck, but it drove like a truck, and the wind whistled through the doors like no other. I damn near went deaf driving that truck.

8542980203_4141fe38e1_b.jpg

I like the Volvo for the comfort. It is more like driving a Cadillac than a truck. Sure, it has that floaty feeling like you're sitting on your couch in the belly of a whale, but hey, your sitting almost a foot and a half from the centerline of the chassis, as opposed to a Kenworth W900 or a Pete 379.

And it is quiet inside.

After a day of rolling along the Big Road I don't feel whipped like I did running the Junkliner.

I've driven W900's, T660's, T800's, T2000's, 379's, 386's K100's (KW Cabover), an International Transtar, and a GMC Astro (what a bucket of bolts!). There are lots of other trucks I've driven, but to actually list them here would cause most of y'all to fall asleep. There were lots varied and unique trucks at the power company, and to work on them I also had to drive them.

Yes, Monstro is high on my list.

9740943423_885b58c2a8_b.jpg

I think I'll keep him.

Very cool thread topic Wild@Heart.

Only being a city driver my entire 45 year trucking career,I was always stuck driving the line haul hand me downs.
A few Box Trucks,but mostly single axle tractors.

My very first union job.
I was assigned a brand new 1966 Cab-over Ford box truck.
Of course back in the day it had no creature features.
Such as no power steering,no air conditioning & no radio.

My third union company,I was assigned a single axel Mack conventional same bear bones non-power steering as the box trucks.

After hiring on with Overnite I had to drive a second story flat back Mack twin screw.
A very poor choice for a city unit.
Because the back tires would scrap the landing gear on their 28 foot pup trailers.

Then came the single axle flat back duplex Mack.
For all of you young-ins a duplex is two shifters.
In my opinion that was one of to stupidest ideas Mack ever came up with.
Although some of the dump trucks had triplex's,glad I never had to drive any of those.

Anyway getting to the point of this thread topic,over the years,my last eight before retiring, I was finally assigned a '96 Volvo single axle line haul hand me down.
Which had power steering,cruise & air.
I thought I was in heaven,even though it had a few miles over a million & a half on it.

It was still a good runner for the city,& out of all the junk I drove over the years when I retired with a bit over two million city miles.
I can say that old Volvo was my favorite.

The next best tractor Roadway put in the city were the converted Volvo line haul tractors.

8309671038_730a58e0ba.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This combination was one of the best I drove in the city for Roadway.
roadway_ford_coe1.jpg

When I first started at the electric company they had a bunch of Ford C-cabs with manlifts mounted on the chassis and service bodies. They had 427c.i. gas engines in them with 5 speed transmissions and 2 speed rear axles. The shifters where so sloppy that you just about had to reach over to the passenger door to get 4th and 5th gears. And the steering wheel must have been 3 feet in diameter. It was a chore herding them down the road.

They had bench seats, and the line crews could ride 5 men in the cab.

There was a shelf behind the seat, and when you tipped the cab to work on the engine (which did not have a hydraulic jack by the way, there were two big coil springs that the cab sat on that helped get it tipping) you had to make sure there wasn't anything up there, or you would be putting a new windshield in too!

One of the best looking & best built tractors was the LTL Ford & I am not a Ford man. I have seen a few that had good paint schemes were detailed to look sharp. I haven't seen any lately. They were heavier than the Sterling that replaced them but were easier to do maintenance & repair on because they had more room around the engine.

If I won the lottery, these trucks would be sitting in my 20,000 square-foot garage.

hyha7e5y.jpg
gesymyqu.jpg
zujuqu6e.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

If I won the lottery, these trucks would be sitting in my 20,000 square-foot garage.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

if i hit the lottery, not only would NONE of those trucks be siting in MY 20,000 square foot garage, but neither will my CDL still be in my wallet...!!!

it goes back to the DMV faster than you can say......(insert saying here).....

i'll equip MY 20,000+ square foot garage with all the tools and equipment of a mechanic/body shop (including a spray booth), and have at it restoring old cars and building hot rods and rat rods, and such..

time MUCH better spent to me......