Favorite Truck

y3e8abyp.jpg

apapyda9.jpg

useguze2.jpg

unygubu3.jpg

teba3ete.jpg

I do have some good memories with that truck.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

By far the truck I had that was my favorite appearance wise was my "Purple Pete" it was a pretty decent truck. Unfortunately it only had a 10 speed transmission (I am really spoiled to an 18 speed) and it wasn't the most comfortable cab as far as room but over all it was a decent truck.

ezy7ytep.jpg

She was a pretty truck. The best part of it was that it was mine, my tractor, their trailer. Of coarse the drop visor, Texas bumper, chicken lights and chrome everywhere didn't hurt my feelings.

I had a white one just like it for 5 years. That cat never let me down. I got 6 speeding tickets with it though.

Unfortunately it only had a 10 speed transmission (I am really spoiled to an 18 speed) and it wasn't the most comfortable cab as far as room but over all it was a decent truck.

I would like to drive a truck as nice as that just once, just to see what it feels like to roll down the road in a truck that nice!

This truck may not be as pretty, but it has a CAT engine, and a Super 10. Once I figured out how to shift it the thing did alright rolling down the road. Lots of get up and go.

12191319125_ea0217e263_b.jpg

But I am spoiled by the opulent trappings of Monstro, and could not imagine spending day after day after day after day in something so small inside. And PACCAR dropped the ball when it comes to keeping the windows clear from fog. The whole time I was in that Pete I had to keep stopping and wipe the windows off.

And my feet froze too.

That's some good photoshoping on that bottom pic. I'm jealous. That's a tall lady also.

This truck may not be as pretty, but it has a CAT engine, and a Super 10. Once I figured out how to shift it the thing did alright rolling down the road. Lots of get up and go.

12191319125_ea0217e263_b.jpg

But I am spoiled by the opulent trappings of Monstro, and could not imagine spending day after day after day after day in something so small inside. And PACCAR dropped the ball when it comes to keeping the windows clear from fog. The whole time I was in that Pete I had to keep stopping and wipe the windows off.

And my feet froze too.

I didn't have any trouble with the defroster on mine, as a matter of fact of all of the Pete's and KWs (the paccar lineup) I've driven I never really had a problem with the defroster on any of them. The only truck I can remember having that problem with was a MR cab Mack (cabover) front end load garbage truck. I'm pretty sure that problem stemmed from the size of the giant fish bowl windows mixed with the fact that we dumped slop on them all day long.

That purple Pete hat the C-15 Avert pre re-gen twin turbo tuned to 475hp and no governor. I loved the motor in it, I had that same set up in the T-800 that W@H was so wild about. I had that truck before she did, in fact I actually taught her how to drive in that truck. The KW matched that motor with 411 rear gears, an 18 speed tranny and full lockers all the way around. That thing would climb a tree of you let it. I could drive through some places without chains where some fully chained trucks would get stuck. The 475hp was just about perfect too, enough power to pull extremely heavy loads up the mountains around here (I think the heaviest I pulled was about 120,000 lb rig part) and not so much that it would make you spin out on icy roads. As far as function goes that was the best truck I ever had. With the raised roof extended cab on it, I actually had more driver room than any sleeper truck I've ever had (comfortable enough that I once drove it straight through from Huston TX to Dickenson ND only stopping for fuel). It was also so air tight that I had to crack a window to get the door shut good which came in real handy on the dusty roads out here on the oil patch.

Now the transmission, I have heard so many different transmissions referred to as a super 10 so I'm not 100 percent sure which one you are referring to. The one that was explained to me as a super ten was one that only had a side splitter with no hi/lo range selector on the shift tower. Reverse was closest to the driver and up with lo down from there, over one slot and up 1st and 2nd were in the same hole and you split from first to second the same way you would split a gear on an 18 speed rest of the gearbox followed the same way. 3/4 then 5/6 and 7/8 completing the ten. If that is the one you are referring to it was fine on the highways but I hated it in the mountains. Granted that truck didn't have quite the motor some of my other ones did, but it wasn't under powered by any means, and I couldn't get it over 3rd gear with a normal load on anything over a 10% grade. Most of the trucks I have driven on those same roads that had 18 speeds would at least give me 5 high with at least 10 mph's more. The purple Pete was a highway truck but I found that with the 10 speed on non interstate roads with a speed limit of 65 I didn't have the right gear for that speed that would maintain the RPM I liked to hold for optimum fuel economy. I either had to speed or run under the limit which is not in my DNA to do. That was the biggest reason I wanted the 18 speed, that and the fact that most of my runs were in the western states ...ie...the Rocky Mountains.

Wow, sorry, that got a little long winded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't have any trouble with the defroster on mine, as a matter of fact of all of the Pete's and KWs (the paccar lineup) I've driven I never really had a problem with the defroster on any of them.

Every driver at my company that had one of them had the same complaint.

Now the transmission, I have heard so many different transmissions referred to as a super 10 so I'm not 100 percent sure which one you are referring to. The one that was explained to me as a super ten was one that only had a side splitter with no hi/lo range selector on the shift tower. Reverse was closest to the driver and up with lo down from there, over one slot and up 1st and 2nd were in the same hole and you split from first to second the same way you would split a gear on an 18 speed rest of the gearbox followed the same way. 3/4 then 5/6 and 7/8 completing the ten.

There is only one Super 10. You use all the forward gears, and and split every one. They are set up so that when you move from 5/6 to 7/8 the box changes to the top side.

Never been in a 379 that was so tight that you had to crack a window to shut the door. The firewalls are so full of holes that the wind blows through in the winter and freezes your nuts. And the doors are so flimsy they don't seal when shut. The wind whistles through them almost as bad as a Junkliner.

12191720484_e3058bfaea_b.jpg

Yeah, having a hood out in front is he classic truck look and feel, but when you spend 11 hours a day in the seat, day after day, coast to coast, the Volvo has everyone beat. Comfort, ride, quiet. And when you stand up you can't touch the ceiling.

I drove that Pete for a couple days while my rig was in the shop. I was very happy to get back into my truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, that's the super ten I was thinking of. I only had one truck with that one in it but it was for hauling pipe to drill rig locations out here in the mountains and it didn't work very well for that purpose. I've never found a Pete that was that air tight either, I have driven older KWs that weren't air tight either but every one I have driven that was '06 or newer have been that way. If I remember right '06 is when they redesigned the interior and went with more plastic and less fake wood. I don't know what all they did with the redesign for sure but it seemed to me that they made quite an improvement. I have never had the pleasure of driving a Volvo with the exception of an 80's model day cab cabover garbage truck, but I have always heard that they are the most comfortable, driver friendly truck on the road. The only truck I have personally driven that had more driver room than the raised roof extended cab T800 was a Western Star with a stand up sleeper. That thing was huge inside. Unfortunately it was also ill equiped for the job I had to do with it. It had a 60 series Detroit (a torqueless motor that in my opinion would have been better served in life as a boat anchor than a truck engine) matched with a 13 speed transmission. Between the lack of torque and the not being able to split the lower gears it didn't climb the 15% to 18% grades that are common in the western Colorado oilfields very well.

Oh yeah, that's the super ten I was thinking of. I only had one truck with that one in it but it was for hauling pipe to drill rig locations out here in the mountains and it didn't work very well for that purpose.

Yes, the Super 10 is OK for over the road rigs. But with highway gearing in the drives they suck at pulling heavy loads, and even running regular freight if you find yourself in a place like San Francisco or Seattle with lots of hills your screwed.

This is what the inside of a VN780 looks like.

11669398176_9f0113cd97_b.jpg

The table makes into a bunk if there are two drivers, or if you have your seat cover with you (the upper bunk is a twin xl size, not really god for two, the lower bunk has about 6" more width).

The thing has a refrigerator, room for a TV and microwave, and lots of storage.

Those Swedes got it figured out!

And nobody, not even @grocerythrower is gonna take my Monstro away from me. (but I might let him sit in the seat and make truck noises!)

11989920744_a996efb54b_b.jpg

10145526795_a7163b135f_b.jpg

That's freaking funny. If while making the truck noises he starts making a grinding sound will it tank the transmission?

I don't think anyone would argue that the Volvos are nice inside. Now someone just needs to explain "style points" to the Swedes on exterior design.

That's freaking funny. If while making the truck noises he starts making a grinding sound will it tank the transmission?

I don't think anyone would argue that the Volvos are nice inside. Now someone just needs to explain "style points" to the Swedes on exterior design.

Truck trannies are pretty tough, so I think we're good.

And yes, the styling is lacking.

Swedish, you know.

The say Swedish women are supposed to be some of the hottest, you'd think they could transfer some of that over to their trucks.

I dont know I drove some older t800 kcars and never had any complaints as far as drafty now the Fords old l9000 's that was drafty