Central Transport | FedEx big wigs.

had enough said:
i do believe vitran only owns 20-30 terminals in the u.s. and all of their terminals in canada. fed ex could easily shutdown or combined vitrans u.s. division if they wanted. seems like the crown jewel would be the canadian operation. the majority of the u.s. terminals and new trucks are leased and can be easily discarded with no consequences to fed ex. just take the accts and prime terminals in the u.s. and dispose the rest while keeping entact the canada operation, plus one less competitor.

Now this I could see.Has anybody compared the two Canadian operations side by side?

What reason would FedEx have to buy a brokedown trucking company. If you really want to come over to FedEx then go to fedex.com and fill out an application.
.......maybe last step before fed ex buys u.s. division from vitran so they can go hide in canada. similar to dhl and daimler retreat. that might be a good thing.

We were told in a meeting prior to the National/Freight merger that this would be the final dovetail situation. Any future acquisitions drivers/dock/supervisors would retain seniority and future employees would be offered position solely as a new hire only.
keep this in mind when Fedex bought Watkins and called them LTL freight they gave all the Watkins drivers new dates of hire. So then they merged them with us (Freight) most all of them got screwed. They have guys that were doing 400-500+ mile runs that in a short order of time were doing 40-80 runs to the hub to work the dock all night. Its true they still have jobs but they are not happy about the way things went down and look at us as the enemy. What I've heard from management about how to tell if Fedex is buying Vitran or not, or these guys just up and left is, watch and see if Fedex hires new guys to fill the positions that are open. If they are left open than they probably will be back and it was a takeover. If the spots are filled then they are not coming back.

quote: future employees would be offered position solely as a new hire only.

So, those with even 15 years in that need to go will be treated as senior employees and those of us with 2 years who do their job would most likely be passed over for "lack of long term ltl employment history"

quote: future employees would be offered position solely as a new hire only.

So, those with even 15 years in that need to go will be treated as senior employees and those of us with 2 years who do their job would most likely be passed over for "lack of long term ltl employment history"

sounds like if we got bought out, we would be considered new hires. possibly keep the order of our senority after we reapply, not surpassing any of the drivers in fed ex.

sounds like if we got bought out, we would be considered new hires. possibly keep the order of our senority after we reapply, not surpassing any of the drivers in fed ex.

Don't believe everything you read driver, especially on the internet?:1036316054:

keep this in mind when Fedex bought Watkins and called them LTL freight they gave all the Watkins drivers new dates of hire. So then they merged them with us (Freight) most all of them got screwed. They have guys that were doing 400-500+ mile runs that in a short order of time were doing 40-80 runs to the hub to work the dock all night. Its true they still have jobs but they are not happy about the way things went down and look at us as the enemy. What I've heard from management about how to tell if Fedex is buying Vitran or not, or these guys just up and left is, watch and see if Fedex hires new guys to fill the positions that are open. If they are left open than they probably will be back and it was a takeover. If the spots are filled then they are not coming back.
:smiliewhs:

I personally don't care what name is on my uniform or truck, checks cash and I have benefits is what matters. If the other ones in my area were hiring, I would not be here either

I understand why it appears fed ex is moving in on vitran-there are all kinds of things taking place that look that way. However, there are some things that keep me from believing it is going to happen. Why would Fed Ex spend all this time and money changing vitran when they can simply move the freight to there docks and into a system that is running smoothly. I imagine Fed Ex could take on all our freight with little more than a hiccup. As mentioned before most of the terminals and good equipment at vitran is leased so there is nothing to buy but the accounts.

Another reason I dont think Fed Ex is taking us over is why would they build a brand new headquarters when fed ex already has all that.

Too, it seems the fed ex folks that have come over to fed ex left in ways that threw a wrench in operations for fed ex. FX would not risk its bread and butter to rush help to vitran.

Like I said, I see reasons to think fx is onto vitran, but there are some big things that just dont make sense if they are buying us.

Whatever happens happens. I can see possible upsides and downsides to fx buying and not buying.

Just my $.02

Good luck Vitran,you have some good people coming to save you,in no time those x FedEx big wigs are going to make Vitran a competitive LTL company.

These are probably all good people but they are coming from an entirely different environment. They haven't had to face much adversity at FedEx.

Managing through crisis's without the resources of one of the world's largest transportation companies is different.

Turning a company around after years of struggling is not what they have doing at FedEx.

Hopefully, they can pull it off.

Does anyone think that FedEx is going to get a little riled up about Vitran clearly targeting their people? They aren't even trying to hire from other companies. At some point, it has to have some impact on FedEx and they could take Vitran to court.

Top Freight said:
These are probably all good people but they are coming from an entirely different environment. They haven't had to face much adversity at FedEx.

Managing through crisis's without the resources of one of the world's largest transportation companies is different.

Turning a company around after years of struggling is not what they have doing at FedEx.

Hopefully, they can pull it off.

Does anyone think that FedEx is going to get a little riled up about Vitran clearly targeting their people? They aren't even trying to hire from other companies. At some point, it has to have some impact on FedEx and they could take Vitran to court.

How could they take them to court?

I am not so sure about taking to court, but they could buy 51% of the stocks, if fed ex has the cash on hand everyone thinks they do.

Turning a company around after years of struggling is not what they have doing at FedEx
actually that isn't quite true, freight was losing money and there was alot of pressure to turn it around.

Does anyone think that FedEx is going to get a little riled up about Vitran clearly targeting their people? They aren't even trying to hire from other companies. At some point, it has to have some impact on FedEx and they could take Vitran to court
Fedex probably sees this as an opportunity to get some fresh blood in there, they aren't particularly attached to their people, if they were, they wouldn't be leaving

me personally i think the big wigs from fed ex just got tired of the same old boring things and wanted a new challenge, but on the $$ aspect, if we are loosing our whitey tighties, and I know for certain that those boys from fedx are not coming over here on a paycut, they are probley coming over here making more money then what the last big wig that was in the same chair here at vi-jax. so if C.K.. says we are not making enuf money and for that we will not see a increase in wage, and if he starts to point the finger and play the blame game, then boy I tell you what, him and his possie should take a big family picture and then just take one big look at it, cuz that my friends is why we will not get a raise, the empty suit, pencil pushing, "stained" white collar people are taking the "chance of any raise" and putting it in their pockets.

Fact is, when it comes to their salaries, executives believe in the saying, You gotta spend money to make money. It has to come from somewhere so that probably means little to no raises for the common worker.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Fedex wont buy a duplicate service area .these men are up for the challenge .most money they ever lost with watkins wont happen again . Fedex is good at packages and should have left the big stuff alone.if vitran will let them and not go broke they will make vitran look great ,remember american freight.just watch

I am not so sure about taking to court, but they could buy 51% of the stocks, if fed ex has the cash on hand everyone thinks they do.

But in order to buy stock, someone has to want to sell stock, and with all of ours, even 5% would be seen by others as a takeover, then everyone would know